Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Fish Peppersoup - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Fish Peppersoup (25177 Views)

How To Make Okro Tomato Peppersoup / Giant Rat Peppersoup(pictures) / Recipe For Peppersoup. . . .thanks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fish Peppersoup by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 29, 2009
i plan to try it later tonite

so all the cooks in the house
any tips on making Fish pepper soup (CROAKER FISH)
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2009
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Hauwa1: 5:55pm On Apr 15, 2009
if in nig, make sure you use a live catfish kiss, blessed taste
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Leilah(f): 6:07pm On Apr 15, 2009
Naahh, my sister is law showed me a slightly different way

fish
stockfish
peppersoup seasonings
maggi
curry
fresh pepper
black pepper (the nigerian one)
little onion and garlic
crayfish

marinate the fish in all of the above for a few hours then do what you were going to do.
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 15, 2009
///
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Leilah(f): 6:25pm On Apr 17, 2009
dont know as i got it in a nigerian food store its not like normal black pepper from here in europe.
Re: Fish Peppersoup by SeanT21(f): 2:17am On Apr 18, 2009
Put plenty of pepper. wink
Re: Fish Peppersoup by teissys(f): 9:42am On May 01, 2009
Fish Peppersoup
Ingredients;
1 Fish, red snapper/tilapia
2 pepper, grinded
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 pice of lime
Spices (Optional)
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
Cooking fat
1/2 cup, coconut milk

Method
Clean the fish, remove the gills and scales. (You can even remove the head and the tail, but I prefer my fish with the head intact wink
Season the fish with the pepper, garlic, spices and the lime. Place it on a saucer or plate that can allow for draining of the water. (This enhances the taste of the fish)
Chop the onion in a pot, add cooking fat and place on heat. Fry until golden brown then add the tomatoes and cover for three minutes.
Put the coconut milk in a pan, add knorr or royco and heat while stirring until the mixture becomes a thick paste. Remove from heat and mix it in the pot of the frying tomatoes and onions.
Put the fish in the mixture and cover. Let it boil for about ten to fifteen minutes when the fish is ready.

Serve with either rice, pounded yam, chapatis, or anything. . ! But I love it more with rice. Wash it down with pineapple or passion juice and a piece of watermelon for a fruit. Bon appetit!!! grin

Re: Fish Peppersoup by teissys(f): 9:49am On May 01, 2009
@ Poster:

wink wink wink
Enjoy and ask for more

Re: Fish Peppersoup by proudly9ja(m): 2:08pm On May 07, 2009
chaircover:

This is a very easy method and tastes lovely. The taste comes from the cameroonian pepper. Sorry I dont know whats in it so can't tell you.

Ingredients

2 medium sized fish - cut into large slices and soaked in salty water

1/2 teaspoon of Cameroonian pepper (be very careful with this as it is verrrrryyy HOOOOOOOOOOOT)

1/2 teaspoon of ground crayfish

2 cubes of knorr

water

Method

Place the water in a pan, add all the above ingredients except the fish and simmer for about 20 minutes, add the fish and leave for another 10 minutes, shaking the pot from time to time. All done. grin

I like this method as Im a bachelor and I just need a quick and easy way. However, whats the Camerounian pepper? Do I just go into any afro carribean store and ask for camerounian pepper or is there another name for it?
Re: Fish Peppersoup by DeepSoul(f): 4:41pm On May 07, 2009
For me, peppersoup isnt complete without "Scent leaves" (dont know if it has any other name!)

You could just follow the instructions as given above and add the leaves 5- 10 minutes before the peppersoup is ready.

It gives it the real peppersoup flava!

1 Like

Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmakaOne(f): 5:40pm On May 07, 2009
Ingredients:

2 fresh fish (tilapia, catfish or bream)
1 lemon
or lime
50g Pepper Soup Spices
50g chopped chillies
100g fresh prawns, peeled
1 onion, chopped
1l stock or water
25g chopped scent leaves
oil for frying

Method:

Clean the fish and cut into 8 steaks (including the tail).
Wash and rub thoroughly with the lemon or lime.
Season with salt then add a little oil to a pot and fry the fish for a few minutes then take out and set aside. Add the stock, along with the chopped onion, chillies and pepper soup spices.
Bring to a boil and allow to boil rapidly for 15 minutes.
Add the fish and prawns and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Check the seasoning and serve in soup bowls, garnished with the fresh leaves

1 Like

Re: Fish Peppersoup by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 07, 2009
//
Re: Fish Peppersoup by proudly9ja(m): 8:06pm On May 07, 2009
chaircover:

Any Cameroonians in the house? Please help if you know whats in this mix and where one can buy it from.

Sorry I dont know where you can get it from outside of Nigeria. I got mine from the market in Abuja. Be warned though, it's pretty potent sutff and a tiny whiff will get you sneezing on end

Thanks. I asked my Camerounian friend and he knows how and where to get it.

@ Deep Soul tanx for the info
Re: Fish Peppersoup by chrisical(m): 8:11pm On May 07, 2009
SeanT21:

Put plenty of pepper. wink

grin grin grin
Re: Fish Peppersoup by wanville(m): 9:27pm On May 07, 2009
smiley
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Typewriter(m): 10:20pm On May 07, 2009
@ amakaone I love you post it's the best
simple direct and complete

i need you to visit me and cook it live am willing to do anything for you lipsrsealed
whatever just come and cook please!!!!
Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmAlone: 10:35pm On May 07, 2009
Thanx gurls, I guess I was going to ask this same question. But now that have got the answer I guess I need to ask my own question. . .

Can someone plz teach me how to cook Egusi soup and Banga If possible ALL except Stew, Bean and Indomie

Abeg orna I need am badly. . .

Plz ladies you guys have got to give me the best and simplies way too do so THANX Alot. . .

@ chaircover You too much! Abeg if you go fit give me like you do the pepper soup own, men, thanx in advance. . .
Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmAlone: 10:53pm On May 07, 2009
Thanx gurls, I guess I was going to ask this same question. But now that have got the answer I guess I need to ask my own question. . .

Can someone plz teach me how to cook Egusi soup and Banga If possible ALL except Stew, Bean and Indomie

Plz ladies you guys have got to give me the best and simplies way too do so THANX Alot. . .

@ chaircover You too much! Abeg if you go fit give me like you do the pepper soup own, men, thanx in advance. . .
Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmAlone: 11:04pm On May 07, 2009
No Harms Meant!

But This one self na pepper soup

3 Likes

Re: Fish Peppersoup by wanville(m): 11:23pm On May 07, 2009
It looks pretty good if u ask me, I think its egusi, jus dat they havent put the leaves yet smiley

1 Like

Re: Fish Peppersoup by Outstrip(f): 1:13am On May 08, 2009
chaircover:

In my post I said it was the quick and easy way. The Cameroonian pepper has most of the ingredients you mention already in it. The only thing I forgot to mention was the diced onion.

There are many different ways to cook a dish. People who cook fried rice & jollof rice will tell you this. Different doesn't mean wrong.  . . . . . Oh and by the way my sister in-law taught me this method and she has been happily married for 30 years so is definitely cooking something right.  wink

At the end of the day, it is unlikely that the person eating the pepper soup will be able to tell the fish was marinated with all the ingredients you mention or just salt. Peppersoup has quite a strong flavour anyway and the fish will soak up all the juices & flavour from the time it spends simmering in the pot.

Dare I ask what is the Nigerian black pepper please?

You are right. There are many ways to cook it. In fact I have never heard of stock fish in pepper soup. Nigerian black pepper might be alligator pepper.
Re: Fish Peppersoup by Nobody: 8:18am On May 08, 2009
@Poster

Get a pot.
Add Fish, then Pepper, then soup = Fish pepper soup. grin
Re: Fish Peppersoup by DeepSoul(f): 9:10am On May 08, 2009
@Am Alone
I tire o! Mayb na Zimbabwean peppersoup. Looks more like Banga soup to me or fish in some sorta sauce
Re: Fish Peppersoup by ashaby(f): 9:27am On May 08, 2009
CHEI, na mouth don de troway water!!! tongue
Re: Fish Peppersoup by spicy007(f): 11:36am On May 08, 2009
salsera and amakaone,

i love your simple recipes.

does anyone know of any catering institute in Lagos.
i hve tried YetKem catering institute, but they never seem to be there on weekend.
i just want to formalise what i already know and learn various ways of doing the same thing.
cos i dont exactly have unlimited access to the kitchen in my uncle's house on weekends and i work late on weekdays, u know Lagos
any suggestion will be appreciated
Re: Fish Peppersoup by kshow1(m): 11:48am On May 08, 2009
hhhmmmm my men . LOOK BEFORE YOU ''CHOP'' sorry LEAP . some of this thing wey i dey see so go run man belle o grin grin grin
Re: Fish Peppersoup by MrCrackles(m): 5:08pm On May 08, 2009
I believe there is a lady called TPIA or TILAPIA on this forum, she is prolly the best person to speak to as per the fish sturvs! grin
Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmakaOne(f): 5:22pm On May 08, 2009
Am Alone:

Can someone plz teach me how to cook Egusi soup and Banga

Egusi Soup

250g /  8oz fresh beef chunks
500g / 1 lb Assorted meat (ponmo, goat meat, bushmeat)
500g / 1 lb stockfish (pre-soaked)
500g / 1 lb smoked dry fish
250g / 8oz oxtail
250g / 8oz cleaned tripe(shaki)
2pt stock or water
300g /100z ground egusi
500g lb fresh tomatoes
250g / 85oz fresh peppers
2 large onions
3 teaspoons iru
4 tablespoon ground crayfish
500g/ 1lb fresh bitter leaf (washed to remove excessive bitterness)
salt to taste
1l Stock ( 1 l hot water and 2 maggi cubes)

*Wash thoroughly the beef ,oxtail , assorted meat and tripe(Shaki). Place a large pot with sliced onions season with salt add a drop of water or stock and cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
*Add the washed dry fish and stockfish and cook for another 10 minutes.
*When cooked turn out into a large clean bowl.
*Wipe out the pot and place back on heat.
*Pour the oil into the pot when hot add the ground tomatoes onions and peppers and fry for 10 minutes.
*Add the ground egusi and iru stirring thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes.
*Finally add cooked meats washed bitter leaf, Crayfish and the stock.
*Allow to boil then simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot with pounded yam, eba, plantain fufu,
Re: Fish Peppersoup by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:23pm On May 08, 2009
That's enough for a wedding Amaka tongue

1 Like

Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmakaOne(f): 5:25pm On May 08, 2009
MrCrackles:

I believe there is a lady called TPIA or TILAPIA on this forum, she is prolly the best person to speak to as per the fish sturvs! grin

see ya agbalumo head   grin Tilapia ko long throat ni.

How u doing Mr Brash.

Off to Kent in a few mins.

Call u on sunday when I get back. This tyme I will call o!! make sure you tell Jenifa b4 time.
grin  

kiss

ThiefOfHearts:

That's enough for a wedding Amaka  tongue
Re: Fish Peppersoup by AmakaOne(f): 5:29pm On May 08, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

That's enough for a wedding Amaka  tongue

lol @TOH

You always but always make me laugh so loud.   grin
Good thing there are no people around me  right now.

was just reading your posts on Iyak's thread

neways

I have 5 brothers and they all have at least 2 sons. This is one meals wotrth of soup na.

Besides  you can always make the soup and keep it in the freezer for those days when cooking is Totally not an option abi?

Have a great weekend.

you have an amazing sense of humor btw

(1) (2) (Reply)

'2GO Bread' Spotted In Asaba / Nigerian Assorted Meat Stew Recipe: How To Make Assorted Meat Stew / Food Prices Drop In Kano, Taraba, Kwara, Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.