Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,036 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. (51349 Views)

Some Common Errors In English. / Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections / 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by kokomilala(m): 7:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
There's a particular standard- the Standard British English.From the 1920s up until recently, it was the benchmark for what standard British English is.The accent was formerly RP, Received Pronunciation, developed from Daniel Jones's phonetics.Only people who went to public schools-Cambridge and Oxford had access to it.Then it evolved into the BBC Accent, which is still very much the gold standard for what a globally intelligible accent should be.This accent throughout its evolution is generally accepted as the most understood and the most prestigious of all English accents.But, oddly enough, it's only about 5% of the English population that have this accent.Majority speak COCKNEY.
The English language is no longer evolving.It evolved over a 25- century period, dating back to the time of Julius Ceaser in the 5th century.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
sixpee:

I suppose you mean to say, " he took it in good FATE is correct. Because he took it in good faith is a wrong use of faith.
FATE not faith!!

*SIGH* grin Ah yes, so you're one of those people who has been frustrating me? Oga please learn this now and don't forget: In good faith is a legal expression derived from the latin expression bona fide. In its proper usage, the term is used to express the intentionsof parties to contract or agreement, to honor the terms and conditions thereof.

in common usage, it is also used to express an optimistic outlook to events and situations. e.g,

"She slapped me but i took it in good faith" means you believe her slap was well meaning.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Hawlahscho(m): 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
kobosmalls:
Shut up. you should be the last person to correct people because yours is not even close to good at all.

K

1 Like

Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Victosin09(f): 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nice One op....Though I think you could completely do away with short hand writing for such topic as this.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Hawlahscho(m): 8:07pm On Aug 25, 2015
Victosin09:
Nice One op....Though I think you could completely do away with short hand writing for such topic as this.

I don't really use shorthand to type even when am chatting until recently that I lost my dear phone embarassed
Typing with this phone is directly proportional to hell, I don't have options for now.

Thanks for taking it like that.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 25, 2015
What i if told you.....you the read first line wrong....same with the second wink :p....English is really funny...
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by azezola(m): 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
Mr Agarawu ask Oyinbo to learn our language.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Mekky05(m): 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
dinkyicon:
im using this platform to inform nd correct my igbo brethren that there is nothing like ....pre-par its prepare(prepair) nd derz nothing like deter myne... but determine (determean) nd nothing like ya but your
.Same goes for the yoruba people.. and is not Hand,ate is not Hate,aow is not How,ause is not House,shariti is not Charity,shesea is not Chelsea,mashin is not Machine and the list is endless... Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

1 Like

Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by gbemyn(f): 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
why not I have came to...instead of come regarding ur explanation? jst asking
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Appareil(m): 10:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
dinkyicon:
im using this platform to inform nd correct my igbo brethren that there is nothing like ....pre-par its prepare(prepair) nd derz nothing like deter myne... but determine (determean) nd nothing like ya but your
HOPE you are Yoruba! I am sitting next to a Yoruba guy whose parents relocated to Francophone Africa, at an International Meeting in Yaoundé this week and I have a lot to remark about him. Stop insulting ok there. All tribes have such issues.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Misternas89(m): 10:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
musiliudee:
Oga ade abegi...truly it's our official lang bt shot or no shot in English speakn lang shud be ignored cos u already understood what he/she ws tryn passin across to u.av made mistakes n wl stl continue makn some little little mistakes.shey I be wole soyinka ni,the shot I cud remember ws instead of chose I used choosed on fb Infact after some hrs I realised dt yeepa moku mogbe mo daran ibon reeeeeeeee.fellow stupid pple lk me also hit
like.anyway u fit point out bullet fr ds one also na u sabi.
Guy I take god beg u no kill me wit laff 2nyt jare hehehehehehehehehe
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Hawlahscho(m): 10:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
gbemyn:
why not I have came to...instead of come regarding ur explanation? jst asking
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by fairygeh(f): 10:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
dinkyicon:
Hahahhahaha,lwkmd,please tell them.
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by DjAndroid: 5:10am On Aug 26, 2015
Unsad:
What Nigerians online will never learn is the difference between To & Too, & Am & I'm.
plus "it's" and "is" eg: "is well" instead of "it's well"
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Princess4eva(f): 7:26am On Aug 26, 2015
Welrez:
These are common errors that only the lazy make. There is more to grammar than what is in this post.

Sure. The English language is an amazing language and I wish people won't make mistakes, especially the little common ones while speaking or writing it. Whether it is the Standard British English (SBE) or the Nigerian English, there's no excuse for errors. For intelligibility if you have to communicate an idea or thought to another person, you may do a code switch from the SBE to pidgin not you murdering the language. Of course the rules are not difficult, one can make reference to primary school text books to be sure. Don't be too proud to explore topics like: Articles, Subject and Verb agreement, Gerund and Infinitive, Direct and Indirect Speech, Expressing Wishes and Supposition, Active and Passive Voice, Verbs and tenses etc.

Beyond that, there are other essentials to develop your vocabulary (the number of words in your Kitty) like: Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms and Homophones, Gender, Similes, Metaphors, Prefixes and Suffixes etc. If you are the type that cares about semantic analysis, then maybe you will spare a glance for the Phrases and Clauses -Adjectival Clause, Relative Clause, Noun Phrase, Adverbial Clause, Subordinate and Main Clause etc but this may be a bit advanced for anyone who just wants to speak the language correctly.

At any rate the dictionary is also always handy to help with spellings, classification of words into Parts of Speech, usage whether derogatory or formal, pronunciation if you have an understanding of the speech sounds and more.
Best wishes!

3 Likes

Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Mindfrick(m): 3:38pm On Aug 26, 2015
Mr man well-done, sooner Am coming to serve you a processes ... mind you...there is FREEDOM OF SPEECH but FREEDOM AFTER SPEECH is ZERO!!
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Mustiboy(m): 10:39am On Aug 27, 2015
Hawlahscho:

What if Obodo is a pen?

The perfect way to ask is "What/Who is Obodo?" but who has that time besides it's not formal and in case u don't know, "what's ________" is like a slang on NL, I can say "what is Mustiboy" you'll be d one to explain that you're human being.
you already made it clear that obodo is a human, can a pen be a footballer?
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by MrTreasure1: 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2015
littlelion:
Pls i want to know, Which is correct and which is not:
:I did went........
I did go......
Thanks

As a matter of general principle, two words in past tense cannot be placed side by side in a sentence...

So, its I did go...

1 Like

Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Hawlahscho(m): 8:20am On Jan 09, 2017
Unsad:
What Nigerians online will never learn is the difference between To & Too, & Am & I'm.

Obviously CAN and CAN'T
Re: Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. by Hawlahscho(m): 8:21am On Jan 09, 2017
Barselonia:
Tooooor.....
Thats Why piigin goes anywhere...

Who goes u....

Se eyinbo gbo yoruba ni

Won o need e grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Send Your Kids To This School? (Pictured) / 4-Year-Old Girl Destroys School Properties. Teacher Reacts Calmly (Video) / Opinion: These 20 Courses Should Be Scraped From Our Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.