Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,037 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:13 AM

Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France (11954 Views)

Pogba With His Mother & Brothers After Winning World Cup (pics) / Sophia Omotola Omidiji Gets Super Falcons Call Up For France Friendly / The 12 Athletes That Won Medals For Nigeria At The Paralympic Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by bukster(f): 6:54pm On Aug 25, 2015

Sprinter Ayodele Ikuesan has appealed to the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) to support her quest for a nationality switch from France to Nigeria.

She was in Nigeria last week to explore ways of holding discussions with the federation, when THISDAY Sports ran into her last Friday in Abuja.

Ikuesan was born in Paris in 1985 to Nigerian parents of Ondo State origin. Also her uncle is Olusegun Ikuesan, who is the media official of the Nigeria Basket Ball Federation (NBBF).

She has won several laurels for France, including a gold medal at 4x 100m relay at the Mediterranean Games in 2009.

If talks are held with Nigerian officials, it will raise the spectre of a switch that will make the 100 metres runner eligible to dash for Nigeria at the international level with the Olympics Games in Rio, Brazil next year in view.
She was a member of the French relay teams to the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games in Beijing and London. She also ran for the French quartet that was disqualified after winning the silver medal at the last World Championship in Moscow in 2013.

Her personal best time is 11.22 seconds, which she returned at the European Championship in Zurich, Switzerland last year to win a silver medal.

Ikuesan, informed THISDAY Sports that though she is a citizen of France, she opted for the switch because she had her roots in Nigeria.

She pleaded with Nigerian officials to assist her realise the switch by linking up with the French Athletics Federation (FFA) and the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) should the need arise.

“I am trying to find all information to know if I could compete for Nigeria for next year at the Olympics. My personal best in the 100m which is 11.22 seconds is good enough to break into the Nigerian team if the switch is successful. This is not about France, I just want to switch and run for Nigeria.

‘’It is a decision I have made as an adult because this is my country, and it will be a dream come true if I can be a part of the Nigerian contingent to the Olympic Games in Rio next year. I am a full-blooded Nigerian and I hold the Nigerian passport, though I have been representing France where I was born. It would an honour to run with Blessing Okagbare, whom I used to see in meetings in Europe. I need information on the possibility of the switch and how long it will take,’’ Ikuesan explained.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/athletics-french-born-ikuesan-opts-to-represent-nigeria/218363/

1 Like

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by ladyF(f): 6:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
Haaa...I dey suspect this girl, maybe she dey bench for France....

17 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by teelacruz(m): 6:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nice move baby, come rep your root and make us proud like okagbares of our time

4 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
ladyF:
Haaa...I dey suspect this girl, maybe she dey bench for France....
lady f lmao, u be bad girl,

3 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
It silvermania again, concuring to what lady f said
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by terrymason(m): 7:04pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nice one! Buhari is working grin,n even obama go soon naturalize for my country
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Sylvarresta(m): 7:05pm On Aug 25, 2015
welcome home dear
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by ladyF(f): 7:05pm On Aug 25, 2015
silvermania:
lmao this guy sha!!!!

Why would someone leave France team and come and play for Nigeria, with the scandals and lack of payment accusations trailing them, sounds fishy to me...
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by laplace12(m): 7:06pm On Aug 25, 2015
She probably can't break into the French Olympic squad..

5 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 25, 2015
ladyF:

lmao this guy sha!!!!

Why would someone leave France team and come and play for Nigeria, with the scandals and lack of payment accusations trailing them, sounds fishy to me...
lol, let her submit her transfer request . If she's dat good the french team wouldn't even allow her remember Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by bukster(f): 7:17pm On Aug 25, 2015
silvermania:
A sliver medal is still a medal
How many medals did Nigeria again in the last Olympics?

With her help Nigeria now has a higher chance of winning a medal in the female 4 x 100 relay along with Blessing Okagbare

10 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 25, 2015
bukster:

With her help Nigeria now has a higher chance of winning a medal in the female 4 x 100 relay along with Blessing Okagbare
Lets see how it goes, am not saying silver isnt a medal o. Lol silvermania is my name o

2 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Akinola007: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2015
Good decision.... Its worth a Trial

Kindly follow this trend to see how to loose 5-10kg within 9days
https://www.nairaland.com/2683491/detoxify-excess-fat-just-9days
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by olaola3250: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2015
Thanks but no!

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/4
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by oekehinde: 9:37am On Oct 23, 2015
Okkk
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by kelvkings: 9:38am On Oct 23, 2015
nice
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Bonapart(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2015
Sorry ma'am we ain't interested
We gat Blessing already

Maybe she has fallen behind perking order better still surplus to requirement in France and she decides to remember us

This na big lesson for all those small small Nigeria players like Jordon Ibe, Dominica Iorfa, delle Ali, chuba akpom and the rest of them wey dey ginger to play for England

Final bullet: mrs Ayodele please try Togo. Afterall they speak French, it will be easier for you there.... full blooded Nigeria my foot

4 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by porrigeyam(m): 9:38am On Oct 23, 2015
Came for the name.

Wasn't dissapointed

Awa ni boss yin.

3 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by free2ryhme: 9:38am On Oct 23, 2015
tired legs looking for a soft landing to roost abeg no be here try front

2 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by ShakurM(m): 9:39am On Oct 23, 2015
You are welcome!! cool
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by free2ryhme: 9:39am On Oct 23, 2015
bukster:

She has won several laurels for France, including a gold medal at 4x 100m relay at the Mediterranean Games in 2009.

She was a member of the French relay teams to the 2008 and 2012 Olympic Games in Beijing and London.

She also ran for the French quartet that was disqualified after winning the silver medal at the last World Championship in Moscow in 2013.

of what impact would her current form add to our track and field records?

my response: she just wan chop free money she never thought of home in her past outings. Her records shows she is gradually declining in form. Now that she is approaching redundancy she is looking for a final resting place.. Pls we are not interested.

3 Likes

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by faithfancy: 9:40am On Oct 23, 2015
Good Decision
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by umarc19: 9:40am On Oct 23, 2015
Welcome back home..

A famous Hausa saying goes thus:

"Komai nisan jifa kasa zai fado"

wink
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by ERONX(m): 9:40am On Oct 23, 2015
grin If this aunty blow person na die ooo... see muscle. From d looks on her face I guess she's over aged.
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by thefakestan: 9:40am On Oct 23, 2015
Ok Noted
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by sagewonders(m): 9:41am On Oct 23, 2015
Good
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Holyfield1(m): 9:43am On Oct 23, 2015
Proudly a name checker,My people been making us proud!
Biafrans should continue to cry cry

1 Like

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Patented: 9:44am On Oct 23, 2015
at 30 she is just about past her prime. If she had a chance of making the French Olympic team i doubt she would be here. She just wants to make the olympics. Make she go fight for shirt for france.

1 Like

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by Chinaimporter: 9:44am On Oct 23, 2015
[size=18pt]
Chai nairalanders....i don make money die and i no no how to even spend am.......i need a girl that knows how to make a man enjoy spending his money...pm me if you want my to dine with you in venice and you are very fine and highly educated

[/size]
Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by IYADARA(f): 9:44am On Oct 23, 2015
grin whweew.....so am actually 30 years today ... shocked

How time flies.... embarassed

Happy birthday to moi

At least ur likes will make me happy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ayodele Ikuesan Wants To Run For Nigeria After Winning Medals For France by JaypeeAnics(m): 9:45am On Oct 23, 2015
abeg let her not run for naija oooo....make she run for buhari...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Ighalo Wins EPL Player Of The Month Award / EKSG Recalls GM Sports Council From National Youth Games Over Athletes’ Kit / Mateo Kovacic Completes Permanent Move From Madrid To Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.