Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:22 AM

Job Hunting Or Business Start-up: Same Rules - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Hunting Or Business Start-up: Same Rules (507 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Job Hunting Or Business Start-up: Same Rules by Nnaeb(m): 5:57am On Aug 27, 2015
There has been several crusades for unemployed persons to embrace entrepreneurship as an alternative to job hunting. I have also been part of the voices advocating that self-employment is the solution to the monumental unemployment rate that is ravaging our nation even though I don’t think it’s for everybody. I do believe that over 60% of our unemployed youths are actually unemployable. I say this based on a first-hand experience because I interact with them every day. I am a HR consultant and I am no longer surprised by the quality of individuals that are harassing the labour market with their unimpressive personae, poor writing skills, horrible communication skill, lack of professionalism and their desperation to start feeding off someone else’s ingenuity and diligence in the name of employment. Predictably, the jobs are not forth coming. What do we do with such persons? Tell them to set up their own business? No.
I think what we should be advising a fraction of these of persons is to embrace education. They should be thinking of enlarging their capacity and working on their productivity level. If not, self-employment is not even an option they can fall back on. Securing a good job and setting up your own business has a lot in common. Therefore, if you have not developed yourself to be of value to any system that will engage your services, then you don’t even have what it takes to set up and run a successful business of your own. As a matter of fact, entrepreneurship places much more demands on your intelligence, creativity, skills and resilience. Before you ditch job hunting for entrepreneurship or advice someone else to do so, make sure you have what it takes to compete and excel in the stormy waters of the Nigerian labour market because same rules plays out in both ventures. Let’s look at the rules.

1.Research/Feasibility: effective job hunting starts with a proper research. You must do a background search of companies you are tripping for and study them. You are not doing yourself any good by applying for a job you know nothing about. Research is important in helping you with your preparation. Failure to research is why most job seekers show up for interviews clueless. That is also the reason young graduates enter the labour market clueless without understanding the trends. Same applies to Business startup. You must carry out your feasibility study. Every intending entrepreneur must carry out a market research to understand the terrain and the cost of his venture. It’s very important if you do not want to enter the market clueless too.

2.Career Plan/Business Plan: he who fails to plan, has planned to fail. That is the popular maxim. A majority of today’s job hunters enter the labour market without a plan. A well-defined career plan is basic in job hunting. You have to define the kind of job you want. Then you outline what the job entails. Then you start pursuing the needed skill set and certifications that will get you better equipped for the job. If you can’t do this, then know ye that entrepreneurship is not for you either. You cannot launch your own business without a comprehensive business plan. You must count the cost, you must do you projections and analyze your strengths, weakness and opportunities. You must define your market and map out a vision for the business.

3.Professional Signatures/Company Signatures: image is everything in business and in personal branding. Before you start job hunting, ask yourself, are my professional signatures right? Starting from your choice of E-mail Address to your Linked In profile, Twitter handle, Facebook wall and your wardrobe. These things must look as professional as it can be. Do away with the youthful exuberances you display on social media and the funky usernames you put up. It does not go down well with prospective employers. For intending entrepreneurs also, you cannot run a successful business without getting your image right. You need a corporate logo, corporate social media presence, a corporate e mail and a corporate account. If you don’t understand this things as a job hunter, then you can’t possibly execute them as an entrepreneur.

4.Marketing/Selling: it is not just enough to be employable. You also need to learn how to sell yourself. You must discover platforms that can put you on the lime light. It is called strategic positioning. It could mean joining a good organization, club, volunteers, church, professional body and forums. The jobs you are looking for are in people’s hands and with the right positioning and networking you might just be talking to your next employer. Same applies to running a successful business. You must put into consideration the choice of location. You must learn how to build strategic business relationships and improve on your selling skills.

I can go on and on because both path have a lot in common. So failure on the other side does not automatically translate to success on the other side. Hope you understand what I mean.

In a nutshell, I need you to understand that before you start considering self-employment as an option, you must ensure you have what it takes to succeed in a paid employment. You must possess qualities that can drive other persons business. You must be productive and solution driven. You must be proactive, creative, diligent, skillful, professional, intelligent and consistent.
If you are still job hunting and you know of a truth that you have not yet consolidated on this qualities, you don’t need to start your own business because it will fail. That terrain is much more demanding and competitive. All you need is a little bit of personal development and learning. Relax and build your capacity. When you are done doing that, you can now look at the world in the face and choose your poison

Embrace education.

visit:http://jobtrends.com.ng/job-hunting-and-business-start-up-are-the-same/

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Or Business Start-up: Same Rules by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 27, 2015
Quite enlightening, entrepreneurship is a lot more challenging than working for Someone...as a matter of Fact, it scares me but we all don't get the drill...everyone wants to be self-made. Well, I believe a good employer is always a product of a good employee.

(1) (Reply)

Two New Internship In Nigeria And USA, Apply Now At Jobhooked.com / I.T Student Needed At A Cyber Cafe / Urgent Answer Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.