Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State (817 Views)

Samuel Ajibola 1997 Throwback Photo As Child Actor Award Nominee / Toke Makinwa Looking Too Skinny In New Photo, As Fans React / Epic Throwback Picture Of Lil Kesh Before Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State by realDONmikel: 6:14am On Aug 27, 2015
Here is General Yakubu Gowon performing his last assignment as the Head of State of Federal Republic of Nigeria. The event was the Organization of African Union (OAU) Heads of State Summit in Uganda in 1975, less than 24hrs before he was overthrown. Gowon was Head of State from 1966 to 1975, and was brought to power following the 1966 counter coup led by Col. Murtala Muhammed.

On 1 October 1974, Gowon declared in a live broadcast that Nigeria would not be ready for civilian rule by 1976, and he announced that the handover date would be postponed indefinitely. Furthermore, because of the growth in bureaucracy, there were allegations of rise in corruption. Increased wealth in the country resulted in fake import licenses being issued.

These scandals provoked serious discontent within the army. On 29 July 1975, while Gowon was attending an OAU summit in Kampala, a group of officers led by Colonel Joe Nanven Garba announced his overthrow. The coup plotters appointed Brigadier Murtala Muhammad as head of the new government, and Brigadier Olusegun Obasanjo as his deputy.
source:http://www.lagoslately.com/see-gowons-last-official-photo-as-nigerias-head-of-state/

Re: Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State by Airforce1(m): 6:17am On Aug 27, 2015
I was here
Re: Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State by FORUMgod: 6:21am On Aug 27, 2015
I Been Dey Here
Re: Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State by ezeonline2(m): 6:30am On Aug 27, 2015
Me sef come here. Handsome man though.
Re: Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State by Lilshorecords(m): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2015
me too dey here.
Re: Epic Throwback : Gowon’s Last Official Photo As Nigeria’s Head Of State by DaGC(m): 7:31am On Aug 27, 2015
He looks good. I'm not a fan of his though. Granted he held the country together, but he also couldn't keep to his word on the Aburi accord, especially since in the military, its usually said that 'a man's word is his bond'.

Ruling Nigeria for 9years is nonetheless a big achievement though.

(1) (Reply)

Mofe, Hundred Level Student Want You To See Her 0ranges And The Are Large / Shameful!! Meet This M@ture Village L@dy Who Sh@red H-er Long T0t0 (ph0t0s) / Lol. 26yr Old Woman With 4 Children Explains What She Wants In A Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.