Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,118 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? (5399 Views)

Reasons Why Programming Is A Dangerous Profession In Nigeria. / Is Java Still Worth Learning With Php / Why Is Java Programming So Important? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 8:34am On Aug 27, 2015
I have B.Sc Accounting with excellent skill in deploying Accounting Software - having implemented for SMEs in financial services, retail and production, real estate and almost all the major sectors in Nigeria.

I runs two profitable word press blogs which I built my self and makes more than my 5 figure salary here in Nigeria

I am beginning to have strong passion for application development as one of the wordpress site is a mobile phone blog that receives 6 - 7k visit per day and had helped a friend attain 11.5k app download in 3 months for free.

Now am asking....Is Java programming the best for me to start with as a novice so that I can move to Mobile app development knowing fully well that I already have an online market for this skill or what do you think? Please Advice Me
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Newbieeee(m): 8:38am On Aug 27, 2015
Best answer "Try to search on Google. " :v
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2015
Hey!
Java is a great and very useful start. Let me refer you to a website to learn from: mooc.fi. Just choose English and you learn from the beginner and advanced courses. It's really good!

With a java background you can get into android programming very easily, which seems to be one of your goals.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by KelvinMega(m): 2:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
if you're entirely new to programming, I'll advice you to start with python as it will teach you enough programming concept without discouraging with complex syntax. however java is more suitable for mobile apps development but the learning curve will be steeper. I started with python and it went well for me.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by khaynoni(m): 2:57pm On Aug 27, 2015
Naijaphil:
Hey! mooc.fi
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 27, 2015
C# all the way.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Ben1975(m): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2015
In reality every proper programming language can do what ever you want to do provided you have the coding ability however some programming languages are just better at dong then others

Let me make a case for PHP 5

its very versatile you can use it to manipulate databases, transference of information and its embeds seamlessly into website code

It is very security conscious and it has been enjoying meteoric rise in popularity because of its versatility
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by chiwex(m): 10:02pm On Aug 27, 2015
if you want to learn software development, Java can help
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Stconvict(m): 11:06pm On Aug 27, 2015
There's no best language bro. But Java is a good place start for Android development.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by udoh2k: 5:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
There is no best language. It depends on what you want to do
1. For desktop application - start with VB6 or VB.net.
2. For Web application - PHP is a good start
3. For Mobile application (android app) - Java is the native language for android

If java or PHP is your first language then proceed to C# or C++. In facts PHP,C#,C++,Java all have almost similar codings. So which ever you first start in these category, you can easily switch to another in these category.

VB is the most simple of all, and C++ is the most advanced. so I recommend the 1,2,3 conditions 1 first listed above. But all 5 languages I mentioned are very popular nowadays.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 6:44pm On Aug 28, 2015
Someone adviced me to learn OOP before JAVA....what do you think?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Stconvict(m): 10:24pm On Aug 28, 2015
ogedanny:
Someone adviced me to learn OOP before JAVA....what do you think?
That's a misplaced comparison.
OOP (Object-Oriented Programming) is a programming style/concept that is based on breaking down programmatic problems into objects that can be related with.
Java, on the other side, is a programming language and it is entirely an OOP language. Java isn't exclusive to OOP. Learning Java is learning OOP.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 28, 2015
@ogedanny start with some C.
Master everything there then move to c#

Thank me later
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Stconvict(m): 7:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
gimakon:
@ogedanny start with some C.
Master everything there then move to c#

Thank me later
Why will you advice him to start with C?
He wants to learn Java and was adviced to start with an OOP (which is a good advice anyway) but you are telling him to take a functional language instead.
Seriously, how does that help him? If you told him to start with C++, I wouldn't have argued much. But learning C before Java in order to grasp OOP, is like learning to ride a bicycle in order to learn how to drive a car.
C is entirely a functional language. Java is entirely an OOP language. C++ is a mixture of both.
If he's going to learn OOP, he must start with a languge that supports OOP.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 5:49am On Aug 31, 2015
@stconvict, what's your advice? is java OK?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 31, 2015
Stconvict:

Why will you advice him to start with C?
He wants to learn Java and was adviced to start with an OOP (which is a good advice anyway) but you are telling him to take a functional language instead.
Seriously, how does that help him? If you told him to start with C++, I wouldn't have argued much. But learning C before Java in order to grasp OOP, is like learning to ride a bicycle in order to learn how to drive a car.
C is entirely a functional language. Java is entirely an OOP language. C++ is a mixture of both.
If he's going to learn OOP, he must start with a languge that supports OOP.

Before a child learns to walk, he must crawl. From what this guy is saying, seems like he doesn't have a good background of what programming does. And he may say c++ is hard, going straight into java when he doesn't have an idea of what he's working on won't give him a complete understanding. He needs C to play with as it's easy to grasp. From there he can even program any language. That's how I learnt.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2015
I am seeing diverse opinion, someone should tell me the easiest place to start from.....I have zero skill in programming!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 01, 2015
ogedanny:
I am seeing diverse opinion, someone should tell me the easiest place to start from.....I have zero skill in programming!

Exactly as I thought! Niggur, start with some C and move to Java or C#. You don't count 1 and then 100, Thank me later

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 11:38am On Sep 01, 2015
@gimakon, where the best place to learn C
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 01, 2015
ogedanny:

Youtube.
Download code::blocks
download videos.
Watch and learn.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Stconvict(m): 5:11pm On Sep 02, 2015
ogedanny:
DO NOT start with C!
Now that's a friendly advice. Not unless you want to beat around the bush before getting to the main point which is OOP.
The idea that if you don't have prior knowledge about programming, you must start with C, is counter intuitive and a terrible one.
Seriously how many people started with C before they learnt Java? My first language was C++ but I didn't learn C in order for me to understand it.
If you want to get the basics of OOP, hit youtube and check for videos on "introduction to object-oriented programming".
C is a low-level language and it will expose you to so many problems like off-by-one errors, memory leakage, stack overflow etc. However, Java gets you on your feet quickly and let's you think about logic of your application instead of debugging throughout your tutorial. C is also not very platform-agnostic, while Java is cross-platform, i.e. compile-once-and-run-everywhere. So you can run your code on any Java-enabled platform.
If anything, you should be learning Java before learning C.
Think carefully about this, don't waste the next six months figuring out what C is when you can start learning Java now and finish in less than four months.
Start with basics first and move forward from there, you will be better for it.

Thanks wink

1 Like

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 02, 2015
Read this

Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 11:34am On Aug 31
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

Starting out with C is not insultive and terrible.Almost All languages emanated from C, hence I decided that he play around with Basic C, "some C" if you read my posts well then he dives into Java or C#

This man needs some grounds before anything. Even when you move to aptech,your first weeks you must pass some lessons in C. It's universal. Do not get me wrong. Because you started out with C++ doesn't mean everyone must kick off with that mind you.

Let him play around with printf(), scanf() and the likes then when he sees something like that in Java he knows how to handle it shikena!

Stconvict:

DO NOT start with C!
Now that's a friendly advice. Not unless you want to beat around the bush before getting to the main point which is OOP.
The idea that if you don't have prior knowledge about programming, you must start with C, is counter intuitive and a terrible one.
Seriously how many people started with C before they learnt Java? My first language was C++ but I didn't learn C in order for me to understand it.
If you want to get the basics of OOP, hit youtube and check for videos on "introduction to object-oriented programming".
C is a low-level language and it will expose you to so many problems like off-by-one errors, memory leakage, stack overflow etc. However, Java gets you on your feet quickly and let's you think about logic of your application instead of debugging throughout your tutorial. C is also not very platform-agnostic, while Java is cross-platform, i.e. compile-once-and-run-everywhere. So you can run your code on any Java-enabled platform.
If anything, you should be learning Java before learning C.
Think carefully about this, don't waste the next six months figuring out what C is when you can start learning Java now and finish in less than four months.
Start with basics first and move forward from there, you will be better for it.

Thanks wink
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by udoh2k: 11:52am On Sep 03, 2015
udoh2k:
There is no best language. It depends on what you want to do
1. For desktop application - start with VB6 or VB.net.
2. For Web application - PHP is a good start
3. For Mobile application (android app) - Java is the native language for android

If java or PHP is your first language then proceed to C# or C++. In facts PHP,C#,C++,Java all have almost similar codings. So which ever you first start in these category, you can easily switch to another in these category.

VB is the most simple of all, and C++ is the most advanced. so I recommend the 1,2,3 conditions I first listed above. But all 5 languages I mentioned are very popular nowadays.

ogedanny,

I have given you the conditions to choose a language, but you seem not to list.

But if you care, the VisualBASIC is a beginner language. VisualBASIC is a Windows (Visual) version of BASIC language. BASIC stands for Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. I started with BASIC and advanced to VisualBASIC (VB). But you do no need to start from BASIC as it was for DOS. Today, most programmes are developed for Windows (Operating System), hence just jump to VisualBasic (VB). There is VB 6.0. Although I have moved from VB6.0 to VB.NET (I also developed in C#,C++,Java,PHP) , but VB6.0 is better place to start.

As I said earlier, it depends on the type of application you want to develop:
*Windows/Desktop=VB6.0
*Web Application=PHP
*Mobile App (Android)=Java

So, its your choice.

But first read: https://www.nairaland.com/2458705/signs-not-meant-programmer
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by ogedanny: 2:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
@Udoh2k, I want to venture into App development - you advice is quite useful.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by mexzony: 3:28pm On Sep 03, 2015
I am currently learning C# and am not having any problems in it.
The issue i have with low level languages is that you can easily be diverted away from the main goal which is to learn his to program and improve ones logical and thinking instead I may find myself spending the while day debugging memory leaks or overflow and while my debuggug skills may "improve" I will be stuck not knowing how to think logically and how to actually program which was the main objective from the very start.
He can start with java, yes learning curve is steep but with little effort I believe he will grasp it.
He can use HEAD FIRST JAVA.
My humble opinion.
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by udoh2k: 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2015
ogedanny:
@Udoh2k, I want to venture into App development - you advice is quite useful.

If you have decided for java (android app development), I will advise you use an IDE (Integrated Development Environment). Do google it out for your self: Or try
1. Netbeans
2. Eclipse- mostly used.

You can also try:
3. AIDE
4. IntelliJ IDEA

Using IDE saves you a lot of stress
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by GideonG(m): 5:30pm On Sep 07, 2015
For web apps learn Python, for Mobile apps in native android, dive into Java straight! No corner, corner. No wasting time. All u need is passion, java might be way easier than u could ever imagine. And you don't need to know everything in java to be able to develop android apps. You only need the basics in order to understand. Android app dev is where u will spend most of ur time. Do it now! Don't wait any longer, start java today. I've been around java n android 4 2yrs now, currently working on Python and Django. JUST DO IT!
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by teewhydope(m): 8:53pm On Sep 07, 2015
I started with java and no prob....
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Nobody: 2:20am On Sep 08, 2015
I think python is simple enough to start with
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by Spyde(m): 5:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
Pls is it possible to learn all dis stuffs all by urself, if yes hw effective wil it be?
Re: I Want To Learn Programming - Is Java The Best To Start With? by kefedmayor: 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
Thank you all for ur beautiful enlightenment. As a big inner, how much doest it take to learn dis mobile software app and how many months duration

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Game Developers Nigeria [artists/animators, Programmers, Sound People] / Thread For Nairaland Algorithm Questions / Programming Challenge: Convert String to Json with a Loop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.