Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... (3780 Views)

Nigerian Woman Saw Danfo In Houston, Texas (photos) / I Need Help With Information About Moving To GHANA / British Airways Considering Leaving Nigeria!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hello everyone, I currently live in the Nashville area. I am considering moving to Houston. I want to live in a bigger city with other Nigerians. I hear there is a lot of career opportunities in Houston. I work for the State of TN as a social worker for the Medicaid/Medicare program. Please can anyone living in the Houston area give me the pros and cons of residing in Houston? I would greatly appreciate it !
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by happney65: 10:00pm On Aug 28, 2015
You beautiful i must say..Abeg shey u dey single or married?Cos Boys dey come wey never marry.. grin grin..There are texas pipu for here..Zeezabee oya come,Your fellow sister needs help..Btw,Did i hear you say you work for mediciad?Isnt that Obamacare?

1 Like

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Ctemi(f): 10:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
Houston is a nice place to live&is fully of opportunities&connection.

2 Likes

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by cozybunch: 3:31am On Aug 29, 2015
edwina621:
Hello everyone, I currently live in the Nashville area. I am considering moving to Houston. I want to live in a bigger city with other Nigerians. I hear there is a lot of career opportunities in Houston. I work for the State of TN as a social worker for the Medicaid/Medicare program. Please can anyone living in the Houston area give me the pros and cons of residing in Houston? I would greatly appreciate it !

Houston is good, but have you thought of Dallas, Austin and other big cities in Texas where you equally see lots of Nigerians. You can check opportunities in all the big fours (cities) in Texas
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Originalsly: 8:37am On Aug 29, 2015
Before anythong...I suggest you start exploring job opprtunities in Texas period instead of moving to a city and hoping to get a job. Texas is an oil state and the recent big drop in oil prices is affecting the economy of that state more than any other. Look well before you leap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Miami11: 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
Too many people in Texas
Too hot in summer
Traffic unbearable
Not a lot of jobs.
Too much Hispanics and foreigners
I hate this dump,can't wait to move
I could find a job in a heart beat in my former state, please poster stay in Nashville

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Miami11: 9:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
Wonder why all this Nigerians are obscesed with Texas, besides more are trouble makers
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by zeezahbee(f): 4:43am On Aug 30, 2015
happney65:
You beautiful i must say..Abeg shey u dey single or married?Cos Boys dey come wey never marry.. grin grin..There are texas pipu for here..Zeezabee oya come,Your fellow sister needs help..Btw,Did i hear you say you work for mediciad?Isnt that Obamacare?
Wow, you didn't spell my name well so am seeing the post late.
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by zeezahbee(f): 4:58am On Aug 30, 2015
edwina621:
Are you single or married ? Send a Pm If you need help in moving.

The cons of living in Houston. I'll go through them first: It is hot here, and it is humid. We have summer days that will make you melt. Fortunately we have air conditioning everywhere. Unless you're a golfer or cyclist, you won't have to experience the heat unless you're going between your car and a building. I do hear they are plenty Nigerians but its just hyped, I rarely see them. Just 2-3 African stores and Resturant.

Traffic can be bad, but so is every major city. What we have are some bad drivers. They aren't the worst, but they are poorly trained. It is easy to get a license here.

Yes, we have no zoning here, but you really don't see new upscale development next to old ratty crackerboxes. We don't have trash strewn everywhere.

Oh, forget the University of Texas. Texas A&M University is the school to watch. We may not have the best coached football team, but it is a school of many proud traditions with friendly people.

The pros of living in Houston. First of all, there are people from everywhere here. Every nation on Earth is represented here, and their emigrants have probably opened a restaurant. Speaking of that, DINING. Few not much nigeria resturant. While we do have plenty of the chains here, most restaurants are family owned and have a great variety.

Housing is cheap here, renting or owning. Compared to the rest of the country, Houston is the cheapest major city (followed closely by Fort Worth)and look for a home in an area you'll like. If you want cheap food , rent and bill. Come to Houston. You can never be jobless.

I mentioned people from all over? For the most part, they're friendly too.

I could go on and on, but I need to hit the showers. Welcome to Houston!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by happney65: 7:29am On Aug 30, 2015
zeezahbee:
Wow, you didn't spell my name well so am seeing the post late.

Dont mind me jare..Naughty mee..

1 Like

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by 19naia(m): 12:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
You want a "bigger city". As far as bigger cities go with lots of Nigerians, Houston is the best you can get.
If you are set on a big city, then no need worry about pros or cons of houston because it will only get worse when you consider other cities such as New york. Houston is as good as it gets for a Big city with lots of Nigerians.
Nigerians are everywhere, but Houston is a major hub for Nigerians along with NewYork and Maryland state. Maryland is worth considering but it is not as big as texas. Texas will offer more affordability than Maryland if you go looking for affordability.

Your two best options are to not look for a bigger city with lots of Nigerians, or go to Houston.
The great thing about texas is that it is huge, and when the not so great things find you, there is a lot of space to readjust or isolate from trouble.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thank you everyone for all of your help! !!! I really appreciate it. I am definitely doing more research on jobs. Hopefully I can visit soon!!!
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by TXRunner(m): 8:09am On Aug 31, 2015
zeezahbee:

The cons of living in Houston. I'll go through them first: It is hot here, and it is humid. We have summer days that will make you melt. Fortunately we have air conditioning everywhere. Unless you're a golfer or cyclist, you won't have to experience the heat unless you're going between your car and a building. I do hear they are plenty Nigerians but its just hyped, I rarely see them. Just 2-3 African stores and Resturant.

Traffic can be bad, but so is every major city. What we have are some bad drivers. They aren't the worst, but they are poorly trained. The left lane is for passing and slower traffic must keep right, but you always get the bunghole who plants himself in the left lane at a certain speed and thinks he's going fast enough for everyone (nearly always in a Prius). You also get the jerk with his/her cruise control on who desides to pass the guy in front of him as you're approaching from behind, so he pulls out in front of you, and passes in a leisurely fashion not noticing you hit the brakes. It is easy to get a license here. Oh, Once you get past that you're fine. While a Texan will give you the shirt off his back, cut him off in traffic and he'll ride your bumper all the way to your exit... flashing his lights and honking.

Yes, we have no zoning here, but you really don't see new upscale development next to old ratty crackerboxes. We don't have trash strewn everywhere.

Oh, forget the University of Texas. Texas A&M University is the school to watch. We may not have the best coached football team, but it is a school of many proud traditions with friendly people.

The pros of living in Houston. First of all, there are people from everywhere here. Every nation on Earth is represented here, and their emigrants have probably opened a restaurant. Speaking of that, DINING. Few not much nigeria resturant. While we do have plenty of the chains here, most restaurants are family owned and have a great variety.

Housing is cheap here, renting or owning. Compared to the rest of the country, Houston is the cheapest major city (followed closely by Fort Worth)and look for a home in an area you'll like. If you want cheap food , rent and bill. Come to Houston. You can never be jobless.

Wen u copy some1 else work, at list cite d sauce & my claim credit 4 somthng dat is nt yours. its cald plagiarism https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071120205905AAgdLS0 dats ur source

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Nobody: 4:11am On Sep 06, 2015
Ctemi:
Houston is a nice place to live&is fully of opportunities&connection.
from Illinois to Houston
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Nobody: 4:12am On Sep 06, 2015
TXRunner:

Wen u copy some1 else work, at list cite d sauce & my claim credit 4 somthng dat is nt yours. its cald plagiarism https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071120205905AAgdLS0 dats ur source
This guy is a complete trol
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Nobody: 4:27am On Sep 06, 2015
We don get Houston Tour guide.
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by akaniman: 7:02am On Sep 06, 2015
@ edwina621, you are welcome to Houston. I moved to Houston about two years ago, and I did not regret it. A lot of things is here to make you enjoying your stay in America. I used to tell people that the best city to live in America for a Nigerian is Houston. You can be in Lagos in 11hrs, a lots of naija stuffs, sea port e.t.c.

3 Likes

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by RedCapChief(m): 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2015
If you want to live in Houston then what is your budget like? Do you want to stay inside the loop or outside the loop i.e Interstate 610? However, on the order of magnitude, most of the interesting stuff is inside the loop. Staying inside the loop is also better if you work in the Energy Corridor. It also gives you access to amazing nightlife and steady gbedu cheesy Outside the loop is more of suburbs and the like.

If you're single, you might check out Montrose or Washington . There are nice neighbourhoods all over Houston and I think you should find a house near your place of work because the traffic can be terrible with a capital T. Be prepared for a lot of driving o!

The weather can be a plus or minus depending on what you like. . .but check out Arizona or Cali if you like heat.

There is also no "central happening zone"; no matter where you stay, there is always a bar, museum, galleria or theater to hang out or get wasted in cheesy.

In summary, stay in the loop if you can swing it

PS: Since you want to stay in a state with so many Nigerians, have you considered Maryland?

1 Like

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by dejiakamay: 3:26pm On Sep 27, 2015
zeezahbee:

Traffic can be bad, but so is every major city. What we have are some bad drivers. They aren't the worst, but they are poorly trained. It is easy to get a license here.

What a useful information,Dear zeezahbee, will like to chat wit you, I've sent u an email,kindly check or u furnish Mie wit ur email here, mine is dejiakamayor@yahoo.com, thanks!
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by londoner: 6:18pm On Sep 27, 2015
Op, I've stayed in Houston for a very short while quite a few years ago. I found people very friendly and there are lots of Nigerians and other Africans there. This translates into being able to buy Nigerian ingredients and having the social side too. The Hispanics I met were extremely warm and friendly. The only thing I did not like was that I found Houston very boring. Great weather though. There are also quite a few Nigerians in Atlanta I hear.

I think what you considering is exciting, good luck.
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by tpiander: 2:32pm On Sep 28, 2015
londoner:
The Hispanics I met were extremely warm and friendly.

Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by londoner: 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2015
tpiander:

I don't get what you are trying to say. Hispanic/Latinos I met were some of the nicest people anyone could meet.
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by tpiander: 8:12pm On Sep 28, 2015
londoner:

I don't get what you are trying to say. Hispanic/Latinos I met were some of the nicest people anyone could meet.

that's great.
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by JurostRB: 7:42pm On Sep 30, 2015
I love u all, I just subscribed to this site this is insightful educative great and lovable. smiley
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by Pidggin(f): 9:54pm On Sep 30, 2015
TXRunner:

How on earth did you discover this, wow
Re: Considering Moving To The Houston Texas Area... Pro And Cons Please.... by iponrite: 3:14am On Oct 01, 2015
WHY HOUSTON TRY JACKSON MISSISSIPI OR MONTGOMERY ALABAMA

(1) (Reply)

See What Happened To Newly Renovated Abuja Airport After Rainfall(photos) / How Can I Get Botswana Visa From Nigeria / "been-to's" On Nairaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.