Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,618 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me (1421 Views)

Get The Most Advance Networking Marketing Scripts With Any Matrix / Please Explain This Script To Me Php OOP / Google Interview Question: How Would You Explain Database To A 5-year Old Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 9:21am On Aug 29, 2015
Hello everyone,
I've been having this idea about how people can connect with each other without internet,did a lot of google searches until I came across Mesh Networking. Checked up wikipedia but too much grammers won't let me understand. Can someone who understand or uses this technology please explain how this works. Hope to hear from the geeks in the house.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 12:55pm On Aug 29, 2015
Please I need an answer
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by shawlxAk(m): 1:01pm On Aug 29, 2015
I don't see how people can connect with one another worldwide without the internet.
Mesh networking is just a type of LAN topology in which each network device is connected to at least two other devices on the network.

tennyson10:
Hello everyone,
I've been having this idea about how people can connect with each other without internet,did a lot of google searches until I came across Mesh Networking. Checked up wikipedia but too much grammers won't let me understand. Can someone who understand or uses this technology please explain how this works. Hope to hear from the geeks in the house.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
shawlxAk:

I don't see how people can connect with one another worldwide without the internet.
Mesh networking is just a type of LAN topology in which each network device is connected to at least two other devices on the network.

okay,how do you explain the firechat app on android ,where users chat with each other without internet connectivity?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by Fulaman198(m): 4:56pm On Aug 29, 2015
tennyson10:
okay,how do you explain the firechat app on android ,where users chat with each other without internet connectivity?

That doesn't make sense unless is you are on the same local LAN, it's impossible to chat without one another without internet connectivity.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

That doesn't make sense unless is you are on the same local LAN, it's impossible to chat without one another without internet connectivity.
technology advances everyday. From what I've read ,messaging without the internet is possible with mesh networking. I only need to know about the set up.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by Fulaman198(m): 5:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
tennyson10:
technology advances everyday. From what I've read ,messaging without the internet is possible with mesh networking. I only need to know about the set up.

Mesh Networking is a form of Ad-hoc Networking. It still requires that you are on the same network with someone to make communication possible.

Let's say that you are on a network that doesn't have internet access, those on that network can communicate with one another, however they won't be able to communicate with other people not on the network. Keep in mind being on a network doesn't require internet connectivity. However, to chat with someone they would have to be on that network with you or chatting would be impossible. Do you understand what I mean?

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 6:00pm On Aug 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

Mesh Networking is a form of Ad-hoc Networking. It still requires that you are on the same network with someone to make communication possible.

Let's say that you are on a network that doesn't have internet access, those on that network can communicate with one another, however they won't be able to communicate with other people not on the network. Keep in mind being on a network doesn't require internet connectivity. However, to chat with someone they would have to be on that network with you or chatting would be impossible. Do you understand what I mean?

Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible to connect people within 10km radius to the same network,and what is required to set up a mesh network.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by Fulaman198(m): 9:55pm On Aug 29, 2015
tennyson10:
Thanks for the explanation. Is it possible to connect people within 10km radius to the same network,and what is required to set up a mesh network.

Yes through a Mesh Topology, you can. A Mesh Topology is comprised of numerous routers connected to one another sending out routing updates through a Shortest path first protocol.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 10:11pm On Aug 29, 2015
Fulaman198:

Yes through a Mesh Topology, you can. A Mesh Topology is comprised of numerous routers connected to one another sending out routing updates through a Shortest path first protocol.
okay,so how do you get people to connect to this network
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by Fulaman198(m): 5:52am On Aug 30, 2015
tennyson10:
okay,so how do you get people to connect to this network

You would someone have to connect them to your network via some configurations and IP address assignments (the typical way you connect people to a network).
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 8:44am On Aug 31, 2015
Fulaman198:

You would someone have to connect them to your network via some configurations and IP address assignments (the typical way you connect people to a network).
There are apps that use these technology,how's that done? Let's say you want to build a chat app,how do you implement this feature.
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by shawlxAk(m): 11:38pm On Sep 06, 2015
I believe the connection is done via bluetooth or WiFi and you can only communicate with nearby users.

tennyson10:
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by tennyson10: 12:03am On Sep 07, 2015
shawlxAk:
I believe the connection is done via bluetooth or WiFi and you can only communicate with nearby users.

. Isn't there a way of going beyond the usual wifi radius?
Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by ossy4rill: 1:20am On Sep 09, 2015
You are really new to Technology.

The coverage of a wireless signal depends on the power with with you are transmitting, if you can transmit at a high enough power your WiFi coverage can run over a whole city but you see , your phone battery cannot provide that kind of power. you need a Mast, an Amplifier and a Big diesel generator.
Although there is a trick where you can make a kind of Parabolic antenna with aluminum foil and drop your phone inside it , this creates a directional antenna with which you can shoot your phone WiFi signal a little farther.

Now For your FireChat App. it uses WiFi and Bluetooth technology to form a mesh. Think of the mesh network as a Spider Web or holding hands in church. Each individual is a phone and his hand is a Wifi coverage.

So by holding you neighbor and your neighbor holds his another persons hand and so on and so forth the whole church holds each other and is now connected together. If you put electric wire in the person in front, the whole church gets the shock.(Here the whole church is on the same LAN because they are directly connected).

With FireChat Mesh network, all the Individual WiFi come together to form a big network where every one can intercommunicate but the technology will wok perfectly if everybody in the city (example Port Harcourt) installs FireChat on their android phone and always keep their WiFi permanently ON.

The phones will form a kind of big church with their hands held together therefore, you in Woji can Chat someone in Trans-Amadi(Without Cellular network) as long as the chain doesn't break other peoples phone will be used as routers to send your message across the network.

The technical aspects of this technology goes really deep we have to talk about Routing protocols, Handling Packet collision, Packet Tagging, Frame sequencing, Network addressing system e.t.c

E for sweet me pass if to say i don get work.#LOL

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Please Explain MESH NETWORKING To Me by shawlxAk(m): 10:57am On Sep 09, 2015
tennyson10:
. Isn't there a way of going beyond the usual wifi radius?

None that I know of.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Programmers, Have You Seen This Sh** Am Speechless. / / Looking For Some One Who Knows About Imacros To Do A Particular Macro For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.