Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump (3991 Views)

Big Electric Car Jack For Big Jeeps SUV And Cars, Wheelspanner And Tyre Pump / Need Help Replacing Fuel Pump For Ford Focus / TOkunbo Man Diesel 19.372 Left Hand Drive Manual Fuel Pump Trailer Head (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by knotty(m): 8:11pm On Mar 31, 2009
My people, fuel pump is killing me. I have been buying them on regular basis.

I have lived my driving life talking about them. All the cars I have driven, except of course, the 504 Peugeot, required I had one in keep.

Please, please, what are your experiences with fuel pumps?  What is the way out?  I tire o.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by promise72(m): 8:28pm On Mar 31, 2009
u didnt mention the car make/model. u might have been buying bad ones. Hows ur fuel filter? electrical system? Where do you get fuel from?

I suggest u try a station thats owned wholly by the oil company. E.g Total owned some stations themselves. not owned independently. Try buying from those. might cut down on issue of fake fuel.

Good luck
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by familierl: 8:38pm On Mar 31, 2009
oga try and save money to buy newer car(2000-2009), it will reduce ur pressure.take care.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by TouaregV8(m): 9:32pm On Mar 31, 2009
The poor and low octane fuel in Nigeria is the biggest culprit for engine damage, fuel component damage and excessive fuel consumption.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 01, 2009
Poor quality fuel will cause rapid fuel pump wear, in fuel injected cars.
The low quality fuels causes corrosion internally in electric roller-cell pumps, but seldom affects mechanical fuel pumps, in carburettor-fed engines, hence the old Pug 504 won't be affected, not short term at any rate.

Change your fuel pump, and buy fuel from a reputable forecourt.
Someone said buy a new car - poor advice. If you don't cure the root of your problems, a brand new car will suffer the same fate.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by oranges(m): 9:45am On Apr 01, 2009
to add on what Siena said, try and maintain your fuel level to a minimum of 1/4 of your tank. So that the fuel pump will always be submerged. this will reduce the chances of water, particles or some debries which are normally found in the fuel we buy theses days been sulked in.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by knotty(m): 2:42pm On Apr 10, 2009
thanks all.

i use a Lexus LS400, first generation, perhaps age has finally caught up with the old lady. but she still purrs. only that each time she is delivering sub-optimally and i go to our roadside mechs, the first thing i hear is change your fuel pump.

right now, the car is at the mech`s. i have been told to shell out money for yet another fuel pump. truth is, i cannot be buying fuel pumps as though i am buying pure water.

there had to be something else to this.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by coolbunk: 3:08pm On Apr 10, 2009
Knotty
Your problem is not fuel pump, stop wasting your money on fuel pumps. Ensure that your engine timing is re-set by a good mechanic to guarantee effective combustion. I suffered much more than you are doing now until experiences rescued me.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by sultaan(m): 2:13pm On Apr 11, 2009
Have someone with their ear close to the fuel tank, then turn the keys to accessories III without starting the car if they can hear the pump hum, it working. Check your fuel filter; if those are fine your injectors might be clogged.

If you have no pressure in fuel line it could also be a fuse/relay for your pump.In some cars there will be a red button to reset the pump.

Just guessing without a diagnosis.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by SamMilla1(m): 4:06pm On Apr 11, 2009
maybe you buy the bad ones repaired already.
what car/model is that

I could direct you where to get a good one if you are in lagos or onitsha,
with instructions to replace them for you if it wears within one year. That was my lie of business before i left.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by Remii(m): 1:26am On Apr 12, 2009
I would not think fuel quality alone is suspect here. How low do you get your fuel level before refilling, if you have habbit of seeing the warning light before getting to filling station you may be killing the pumps yourself. I would advise you fill up as soon as the level drops below half tank.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by live4love: 7:17am On Apr 12, 2009
lets approach the issue more technically. Kindly give us more brief about the issue: how it all started, actions you took, how you implemented them and what happened next. pls state each issue as it happened and what are your observations.

Answers to these question will really help us in suggesting teh right process to solving the challenge.
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by ElRazur: 11:07am On Apr 12, 2009
Touareg V8:

The poor and low octane fuel in Nigeria is the biggest culprit for engine damage, fuel component damage and excessive fuel consumption.

One of the many reasons, I was against a close family person taking home a Mitsubishi FTO.

Any idea what the Octane ratings are? Lower than 90?
Re: Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump! Fuel Pump by TouaregV8(m): 5:38am On May 10, 2009
Most vehicles imported into Nigeria have to constantly operate on PREMIUM UNLEADED PETROL (PULP) of 95 RON or higher, but Nigeria only operates a single unleaded petrol grade of 90 RON. In some cases our filling stations even dispense petrol with octane as low as 88 RON.

The use of low octane or inferior petrol will result in a range of fuel and engine related problems in vehicles that do not use the correct petrol grade.

Evidence of the problems associated with our low octane and inferior petrol is spread across Nigeria:

• Engine and fuel component damage;
• High fuel consumption;
• Excessive maintenance and servicing costs;
• Overheating and piston damage;
• Poor vehicle response and acceleration;
• Unsatisfactory and stressful driving experiences.

A Mitsubishi FTO requires an octane rating of 100 RON (SUPER PREMIUM UNLEADED PETROL) to achieve optimum performance.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Matrix 2006 Model Available For Sale / Clean 1998 Audi A4 For Sale Price: N650K See Pix 08154666018 / Abuja: Honda Civic 2006 Irobot For 1.350m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.