Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart (1481 Views)

Lady Celebrates Her Boyfriend Who Survived A Ghastly Accident In Onitsha (pics) / Fadipe Charles Oluwatoyin Is Missing / Sex Tape *leaked* Of Miss Anambra (chidinma Okeke) | Full Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by qpressng(f): 7:02am On Aug 30, 2015
“You can feel it,” Charles Okeke says. “It’s pounding. If I opened my mouth, it was very audible.”

Okeke is remembering the days when his blood was pumped by a massive 400-pound machine. It was one stage in a remarkable journey that has finally brought him where he is today — a healthy man with a healthy heart once again beating in his chest.

The heart Okeke was born with failed when he was just 30 years old, from a condition called cardiomyopathy. Okeke received a transplanted heart; but transplanted organs have a life span, and a decade later that heart failed as well.

Okeke was still a young man, but he could not have another transplant. His doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona said his immune system was too “revved up” and would destroy a second transplant.

“Charles was very sick when he showed up at our hospital,” remembers Eric Steidley, MD, a cardiologist at Mayo Clinic. “Charles was going to die unless we did something.”

What they did was remove his failing heart and implant an artificial heart. A human heart is a muscle that powers itself, but the artificial heart needed an outside driver. Okeke was continually tethered to a 400-pound rolling motor. Since the machine could not leave the hospital, neither could Okeke.

No one was sure how long it would take for Okeke’s immune system to calm down enough for him to receive a transplant. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months. “You have to have a strategy,” Okeke says. “It’s a long day.”

After two years, Okeke was still not ready for a new transplant, but technology had improved. He was able to trade in the 400-pound driver for a 13-pound version he could carry in a backpack. Okeke made national news when he left the hospital, the first person to go home with an entirely artificial heart.

The patience of Okeke and his doctors paid off. Seven months later, Okeke received a second transplanted heart, and his body did not reject it. “I feel like I’m the most blessed person on earth,” he says.

And Okeke says those years spent tethered to a machine were not wasted. “The great thing I have learned in all of this, how my life has changed, is that I think I know how to simplify my life,” he says. “Life to me is really simple. Life is about service. That’s it.”

Source: http://ecruzi.com/the-man-without-a-heart/

Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by Corn99(m): 7:03am On Aug 30, 2015
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by ayatt(m): 7:07am On Aug 30, 2015
shocked
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by pyyxxaro: 7:15am On Aug 30, 2015
He must be a Heartless Man
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by walearoy(m): 7:16am On Aug 30, 2015
Corn99:
Space Booker
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 30, 2015
He must have been dead several times..
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by SonOfTheLion(m): 7:31am On Aug 30, 2015
walearoy:

Space Booker
space bookers spy
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by Oblitz(m): 8:26am On Aug 30, 2015
wow
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by Emmyk(m): 10:38am On Aug 30, 2015
pyyxxaro:
He must be a Heartless Man
Nice pun.

1 Like

Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by walearoy(m): 12:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
SonOfTheLion:
space bookers spy

grin they robbed me of FTC
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by obinna2nv(m): 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2015
Well this reminds us to be grateful for the little but crucial things like a beating heart!!
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by mayorjosh(m): 12:35am On Aug 31, 2015
God kept him alive for a purpose

btw this land is not for sale angry

Beware of 419 mods

The C of O is on my sd card as proof
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by qpressng(f): 2:44am On Aug 31, 2015
Cc: Obinoscopy
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by phayvoursky(m): 4:12am On Aug 31, 2015
A GREAT TESTIMONY
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 31, 2015
I will comment when I read
Re: Meet Charles Okeke, The Nigerian Man Who Survived For Two Years Without A Heart by mayorjosh(m): 7:52am On Aug 31, 2015
Mods pls move this thing to fp for the world to see.its a miracle...

Cc Freiburger,r231

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Goat Accused Of Robbery. / Psquare Ft Rick Ross (photo) / Check It Out: New Glo Data Plans For June 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.