Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,355 members, 7,954,440 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:58 PM

Help Needed! URL REDIRECT - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Help Needed! URL REDIRECT (579 Views)

Google Is Shutting Down Its URL Shortening Service / How I Removed Footer Credit From Premium Blogger Template No Redirect. / Wordpress Hacked Redirect, How Do I Detect And Clean It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed! URL REDIRECT by muid33n(m): 3:08pm On Aug 31, 2015
Hello my Oga's here...

I have a little challenge...

I created a website for a client on a domain: www.sample.com - hosted and working perfectly fine...

Now, the client has another domain: www.sample2.com. He contacted me that I should redirect the first domain: www.sample.com to a subdomain on the second domain: www.sub.sample2.com.

Managing a domain redirect is not my problem. The problem here is that the files will still be maintained on the server hosting the www.sample.com while the subdomain: www.sub.sample2.com will only be the accessible url.

For instance: when you create a blog with blogger.com and then upgrade it to a tld while still maintaning using the blogger platform... Your files and contents are hosted on blogger while you still use a top-level-domain...

So, I need someone who can explain to me how I will handle it.

Thanks.
Re: Help Needed! URL REDIRECT by dwebdesign(m): 9:01pm On Aug 31, 2015
what needs be done is that, you just move all the files in the main domain to the sub domain and do the redirect.

you can MOVE the files from www.domainname.com to www.sub.domainname.com

and do the redirect.

i hope this is clear and helps.

you can contact me with the details below:
Re: Help Needed! URL REDIRECT by muid33n(m): 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2015
Thanks @dwebdseign. I understand fully what you posted. But I am sorry to say, that is not actually what I want... I can do that pretty well... However, I've found some alternatives.
Thanks once again.
Re: Help Needed! URL REDIRECT by dwebdesign(m): 7:01pm On Sep 09, 2015
good to hear.

happy coding!
Re: Help Needed! URL REDIRECT by cdoffx(m): 10:51pm On Sep 09, 2015
muid33n:
Hello my Oga's here...

I have a little challenge...

I created a website for a client on a domain: www.sample.com - hosted and working perfectly fine...

Now, the client has another domain: www.sample2.com. He contacted me that I should redirect the first domain: www.sample.com to a subdomain on the second domain: www.sub.sample2.com.

Managing a domain redirect is not my problem. The problem here is that the files will still be maintained on the server hosting the www.sample.com while the subdomain: www.sub.sample2.com will only be the accessible url.

For instance: when you create a blog with blogger.com and then upgrade it to a tld while still maintaning using the blogger platform... Your files and contents are hosted on blogger while you still use a top-level-domain...

So, I need someone who can explain to me how I will handle it.

Thanks.
that should be easy all you need do is do a permanent redirect of the subdomain to the already existing domain so that once someone types the su bdomain url it automatically goes to the already existing url where the file exists and fetch. you would need to have access to the subdomain admin area to do this under url redirect.

(1) (Reply)

Start Year 2016 Right With These Packages For Your Business / All Round Entertainment Present Nigeria Bloggers Awards 2016 / Www.makemoneyin9ja.com Is For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.