Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,690 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Employers Or Slave Drivers? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Employers Or Slave Drivers? (2718 Views)

Best FREE CV Formats To Make You Stand Out To Employers / Bank Marketers Now Accept Double Job Offers: Outcome Of Slave Salary! / Sol Nigeria, For Real, Fake Or Slave Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Employers Or Slave Drivers? by Redman44(m): 5:16pm On Apr 03, 2009
Apart from being lethargic in their approach to work, many Nigerians have to take some pride in the kinds of jobs they do. Many Nigerian youths are too ' classy ' when they want to apply for jobs. The painful truth is that some of these dirty jobs pay more than some office jobs. I can remember way back in the early 90's when I was growing up in Nigeria. There were three young graduates who had just finished from one of the western polytechnics then. What amazed me was that the three of them did not apply for jobs after their youth service. One of them had a tipper and soon they started distributing drums to residents of my area. Before I knew it, they had written letters to the landlords of all the houses in the area. They announced that they wanted to start collecting household waste and rubbish for a small fee. That was how their business started. These guys were very good and in a matter of months, they had gotten an additional tipper and other streets were signing in. The last I heard of the guys was that two of them went to Germany for their Masters degrees, while the last one took over the business fully.

If only our current graduates can learn from the example I have given. There are a lot of business opportunities in Nigeria at the moment. My father's Lebanese friend told him some years ago- '' I don't know why Nigerian youths leave the country in droves for Europe. Why can't they see the gems in the gutters and the bushes around them? '

Mind you, this Lebanese Guy has a Mechanic Garage and a Restaurant in Nigeria. He's doing well for himself.

May the good lord give our youths wisdom. Amen.
Re: Employers Or Slave Drivers? by celebritee(m): 10:40pm On Apr 03, 2009
Redman44:

There are a lot of business opportunities in Nigeria at the moment. My father's Lebanese friend told him some years ago- '' I don't know why Nigerian youths leave the country in droves for Europe. Why can't they see the gems in the gutters and the bushes around them? '

Like someone already said, not everybody can be an enterpreneur. If everybody is a slave driver, where do we get the slaves from? lipsrsealed
Re: Employers Or Slave Drivers? by tayoast(m): 11:25pm On Apr 03, 2009
They're smart pple who engage in sharp practices u kno.

They exploit the menace of unemployment in country and make job seekers literal slaves.

Ther's this friend of mine that applioed with an insurance outfit in this country.
He was incited for interview just last week and was told he passed.
Just last week, he was told he'd be working as a marketer.
They took him for training w/out a kobo. He transports himself to d training centre while it lasted.
When i asked him abt remuneration? They are only entitled to commission on whatever they bring in.
He also said the interview was conducted in such a way that no one could fail.

Hw about that?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Male Ushers Needed (males Only). / So Pisssed / Bencovik Nig Ltd Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.