Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,595 members, 7,958,829 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:21 AM

Superdrone Lifts Off With A Person Inside - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Superdrone Lifts Off With A Person Inside (450 Views)

TECNO Mobile Lifts Little Saints Orphanage, SOS Village During Christmas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Superdrone Lifts Off With A Person Inside by Hasselbaink: 7:17am On Sep 02, 2015
I've looked at little quadcopter drones and thought, "Gosh, if I could just shrink down to mouse size, that would be a lot of fun to ride around on."

YouTube user gasturbine101 apparently looked at a drone and thought, "I could harness the power of a million drones and use them as my personal flying chariot." And he did, except it took just 54 propellers to get the job done.

The Swarm is a manned superdrone, so named because it looks like a herd of little drones all strapped together to make one big flying machine. There's a seat at the center for the operator to sit and control the device.

It's not a drone, it's a superdrone.
Video screenshot by Amanda Kooser/CNET
The take-off weight for the Swarm with a person on board was about 326 pounds (148 kilograms). A video of the Swarm in flight shows it getting off the ground by quite a few feet, enough to make the camera operator shout, "Be careful

It hovers and bounces back down for temporary landings. It looks at least mildly terrifying, though the pilot is wearing a helmet.

The Swarm can run for about 10 minutes on its battery packs, which appear to be distributed around the machine along with the propellers.

Gasturbine101 posted an initial test-flight video, without the rider, about two months ago. In that video, the drone was controlled from a distance. Now the controls are on board. The finished superdrone video with air jockey was posted August 29.

This is a good time to issue all the usual warnings that accompany gawking at an unusual and potentially dangerous DIY project. Don't try this at home. You would probably need to check with your governmental aviation regulations organization anyway. Plus, there's that whole possibility of falling out of the sky. That wouldn't be much fun at all.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5JgnMJzCtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(1) (Reply)

We Buy Dead/condemned Deep Circle Batteries. Call 08030978357 / Now Available: Inverters 3kva To 15kva, Stabilizers 10kva To 60kva / Twitter ‘suspended A User’ Mistaken For ISIS Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.