Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,442 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:23 PM

How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process (65428 Views)

JOBS TIPS: Read How To Negotiate “salary” During An Interview / Signal Alliance Limited : Interview Process, Work Conditions & Salary / Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by IsiCaterpillar(f): 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2015
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Emmafrancis: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2015
Wow
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Kingzy4pep(m): 4:50pm On Sep 02, 2015
snowDiva:
happy birthday to me...show your girl some love... smiley
Happy birthday sweetheart.

1 Like

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by MOORCHMOORE(m): 4:54pm On Sep 02, 2015
K... But would they be that patience for me?
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Epatty(f): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2015
Gd I read ds to add to my knowledge
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 02, 2015
ok.... nice post.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by ogaprime(m): 5:31pm On Sep 02, 2015
Op, what if you state your own range, let's say 150k-200k and de interviewer says its 100k max and you know they are capable of paying a little above 200k. What should someone do in such situation??

NB. Its just a question oo...
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by fizzle19(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2015
Thanks 4 d advice.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by MrTolulope(m): 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2015
Cool tho!
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Shehucom(m): 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2015
kennyddonn:
sorry I have a job already..

tell me how to make much money with my job...

don pass that stage..

adupe..
Happy for ya
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by 247notire(m): 6:07pm On Sep 02, 2015
kennyddonn:
sorry I have a job already..

tell me how to make much money with my job...

don pass that stage..

adupe..
And u think u will never change jobs? or u plan to die thr ni?
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by steppingstones: 6:14pm On Sep 02, 2015
Negotiation skills are necessary and the tips given by the Op are quite insightful but it does not always work like that, the employer has upper hand in most cases and prospective employees do not usually know their true worth or what value the company is willing to put on them until it is a tad too late.

it is ok to push but it is wiser to secure the job if what is on the table meets your own expectation. It feels bad to know that you could have earned more if you had courageously negotiated further. My mistake was thinking that since the offer was already signed by the employer, it was too late to say I wanted more.

1 Like

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by SmartMugu: 6:27pm On Sep 02, 2015
LaurelP:

Is dat all u can say?
Lol, do u find the FTP annoying after reading u lengthy post?
Lol.
Anyways, ur points make absolute sense!
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by kennyddonn(m): 6:47pm On Sep 02, 2015
247notire:
And u think u will never came jobs? or u plan to die thr ni?
came jobs for now I don't need...tell me wat I need now
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by kennyddonn(m): 6:47pm On Sep 02, 2015
Shehucom:

Happy for ya
thanks to ya
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by 247notire(m): 6:50pm On Sep 02, 2015
kennyddonn:
came jobs for now I don't need...tell me wat I need now
Modified the typo. Now answer the question.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by doubleportion: 6:52pm On Sep 02, 2015
coolhamid:
I think the idea of giving a range may be detrimental sometimes..
For instance, I was negotiating with an employer sometimes ago and he asked me how much am i looking up to..
Yours sincerely gave him a range like 60-90, after the whole thing the man offered me the least value of the range which is 60k.

I realized that if i should have given him an exact figure like 90k, the man would have agreed because he needed my service badly ..

so giving a range can be funny sometimes

You should study your enviroment! Since you already have an idea that your service is needed,increasing your range won't be a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Bhanjea: 8:10pm On Sep 02, 2015
Well,this is a smart idea but believe you me,many ideas will never work in nigeria....if u decide to quote a particular amount,it is down to the employer to consider you....But I reckon in a situation like dis saying " I believe this is a standard organisation with a standard pay-scale,I would love to be paid what is commensurate to my work standard and level of competence"...this statement got me my first job with a good salary and full benefit package in nigeria....Na only GOD dey WIN ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 02, 2015
You just summed it up. Thanks

fpeter:
i wish it were that easy

1 Like

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Bollove: 8:23pm On Sep 02, 2015
jashar:
hmmmm... some of these interviewers would blatantly refuse to tell you the salary range.
They would insist you name a price. How do you handle that? Also, it's a bit difficult to know the salary structure of some companies especially the ones that are not so popular.
How do you go about salary negotiations then?
Case and point, my friend was interviewed with Success Power Media for the position of Customer Care. I even helped her do some research but we couldn't come up with anything tangible like that.
At the interview, she was asked how much she would like, she said 70k because they didn't give her anything to go by.
She later heard they gave the job to someone else for 40k.
If she had known, she may not have bothered going because she knew her limit, on the other hand, they never told her how much they were willing to pay. So, she had no idea whether or not to reconsider the offer.
Hope you get my long story... smiley
Try to pally with at least one of the staff of d organisation for info regarding pay scale and other background info .... That is part of the research you have to do .... You need short trip to the organisation before hand, wait for closing time and present yourself to a seemingly coolheaded staff.... Insider info is very important in nabbing a Job !!!
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Bollove: 8:23pm On Sep 02, 2015
jashar:
hmmmm... some of these interviewers would blatantly refuse to tell you the salary range.
They would insist you name a price. How do you handle that? Also, it's a bit difficult to know the salary structure of some companies especially the ones that are not so popular.
Case and point, my friend was interviewed with Success Power Media for the position of Customer Care. I even helped her do some research but we couldn't come up with anything tangible like that.
At the interview, she was asked how much she would like, she said 70k because they didn't give her anything to go by.
If she had known, she may not have bothered going because she knew her limit, on the other hand, they never told her how much they were willing to pay. So, she had no idea whether or not to reconsider the offer.
Try to pally with at least one of the staff of d organisation for info regarding pay scale and other background info .... That is part of the research you have to do .... You need short trip to the organisation before hand, wait for closing time and present yourself to a seemingly coolheaded staff.... Insider info is very important in nabbing a Job !!!
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by chichriso: 9:44pm On Sep 02, 2015
it is very risky

. Chichriso said:::::::: Click the link in my signatures
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by chichriso: 10:01pm On Sep 02, 2015
ok

. ChiCHRISO said:::::::: Click the link in my signatures
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by doubleportion: 10:41pm On Sep 02, 2015
Honestly, when you heard people comments doubting the practicality of this negotiating template,we should understand where they are coming from.
In this jungle of ours called Nigeria,it is employers' world! The demand for jobs is apperently higher than the supply,and the employers that understand that simple economic principle,use it to their own advantage.in view of this,the prospecting employees had no choice.it is the employers that determine what they can afford to pay though there are some exceptions.

1 Like

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by bammike21: 10:55pm On Sep 02, 2015
That's just so cool
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by onimcee1(m): 11:59pm On Sep 02, 2015
jashar:
. I think your friend got it wrong somewhere; which is, like the op said, wait until it has been established that you are the right person for the job before naming a price. Better still, act like you know what you can offer and ask what they think the position is worth. This way, you don't have to be the first to name a price. As for knowing the salary scale, maybe you girls didn't research enough.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by kaycodes: 12:20am On Sep 03, 2015
LaurelP:
Money talk is one of the most important aspects of the job search process. It can be the difference between a fulfilling career and a frustrating one. A poorly negotiated salary can haunt you for years, thus the importance of mastering the basics of salary negotiation before you find yourself in a heated salary discussion with an employer.

Basic Principles In Negotiating a Salary.

1) Know When (and When Not) to Discuss Money.
The key to successful negotiating is TIMING. You must know and wait for the right to discuss pay.
When it comes to salary negotiation, the person who reveals Specific Details first is automatically in a weakened negotiating position. For example, let's say you've told the interviewer early in the interview process that you currently earn 80k where you work. The employer already has an advantage over you because he has an idea of what you're worth. He can decide to just add 20k to your current pay to make it 100k, even when he can pay much more than that or you're worth much more.

If possible, the topic of pay shouldn't be discussed until after it has been established that you're the right person for the job. By then, you would have understood fully what the job and position is all about.
So early in the recruitment process, you're asked to provide your current and expected pay. My advice is that you write "Negotiable" if its a form or online application.

If its an interview and they ask what your expected pay is, say something like:
"Since you're familiar with your company's payscale, how about you tell me the range you're thinking of and I will let you know if it sounds fair to me."

They're likely to give a range slightly lower than what they pay, so you can then provide your own pay range which you've researched beforehand. Say something like:
"That's ok. But a salary for this type of position as researched in a variety of sources shows that a pay range between 150k and 200k is competitive". Always use a range rather than a specific figure.

So in Summary, follow this order of negotiating pay before an offer is made:

1) First, postpone the money talk until they really show you're the right candidate.
Are they the one to show, or you are the one to show that you're the right candidate
2) Request information about their pay range.
I ask you a question, and you're asking me another question as a reply
3) Present your researched range.
Nobody cares how well researched the range you present is. For graduate hires, it's already fixed. for experienced hires, your value determines your CTC

And don't forget that you need to also negotiate other non salary benefits and perks including leave, medical allowance, lunch, 13th month, training, resumption date etc. Don't accept an offer until everything have been discussed and agreed. That's why you should never accept an offer the same day it was made, you need to go home,think over it and get back to them.
In your reply, try to negotiate for more, don't just say you've accepted it.

Finally no one will even tell you about non salary benefits untill they make their initial offer. Which is already past the interview stage.
Am afraid your post doesn't really have a target audience. Young graduates will read this and try it at interviews, only to be disappointed.

As someone who has been interviewed and also interviewed others, I advice one thing... Put the value the company will add to you first if you are a fresh graduate, but if you've got some experience, then show the company the value you bring to the table, you will be paid according to your worth.

1 Like

Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Nobody: 2:24am On Sep 03, 2015
Hmmm. You lamented as if you running a coy creating employment for people. Well no be ur fault sha! If no be say fingers are never being of equal size.
kingobozy:
This is a very priceless and enlightening piece of information for prospective job seekers. If you have a good negotiating skill you come of of the interviewer's office with the job and a better deal. although most job seekers don't know their own worth and end up begging for peanuts even when they have very impressive CVs all in the name of "little beginning" and the "half bread is better than none" bullshit.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by Nobody: 2:29am On Sep 03, 2015
That is just the basic point.
doubleportion:
Honestly, when you heard people comments doubting the practicality of this negotiating template,we should understand where they are coming from.
In this jungle of ours called Nigeria,it is employers' world! The demand for jobs is apperently higher than the supply,and the employers that understand that simple economic principle,use it to their own advantage.in view of this,the prospecting employees had no choice.it is the employers that determine what they can afford to pay though there are some exceptions.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by free37: 9:39am On Sep 03, 2015
Nice.
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by doyolt: 12:10pm On Sep 03, 2015
Why negotiate a better salary, when you can have another source of Income.... Make 300k monthly genuinely just by using your social capital, that is the people you know... Call 08092487294
Re: How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process by hardeyswaggz: 3:03pm On Sep 03, 2015
i quite agree with you sir, my experience on my recent interview was somehow unusual, i got in and the first question after asking for my name was 'HOW MUCH DO U WANT TO BE PAID ON THIS JOB'? it was too early for me, it felt like the interview was over already and got me off balance. so many things came to my head and i mentioned a figure. yours faithfully, they wrote it down. i felt i shlda said more maybe......#smiles.....
coolhamid:
I think the idea of giving a range may be detrimental sometimes..
For instance, I was negotiating with an employer sometimes ago and he asked me how much am i looking up to..
Yours sincerely gave him a range like 60-90, after the whole thing the man offered me the least value of the range which is 60k.

I realized that if i should have given him an exact figure like 90k, the man would have agreed because he needed my service badly ..

so giving a range can be funny sometimes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Civil Service Recruitment Application 2017/2018 / Totalenergies Graduate Recruitment / FG Places Embargo On Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.