Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,846 members, 7,817,507 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) (105624 Views)

Study And Drill Yourself With Jamb Past Exams Questions And Answers 1978-2014 / 2013 TOTAL E & P Nigeria National Merit SCHOLARSHIP / Your School Anthem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) by Ndipe(m): 11:12pm On Apr 08, 2009
princejay:

Its difficult to believe, but the National Anthem was changed because of that one offensive line. In a world where eminent Nigerians frequently refer to the country as "a mere geographical expression", the use of the word "tribe" and an admission of the fact that we "differ" could not be tolerated in the National Anthem.

So I heard that the anthem was changed because of the phrase, "Though tribes and tongues may differ." I am very surprised that these blatant truth that characterizes the nationahood of Nigeria would be deemed offensive and stifled with a new national anthem. But nothing surprises me about naija for the most part.
Re: Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) by Bodie: 12:41am On Apr 30, 2009
I love it when we Nigerians talk about things like "Oh it was written by a foriegner e.t.c" as if we are so patriotic then after STEALING money as is the case (Most cases) we ship our kit and kin "OVERSEAS"!!! Meanwhile, let me just ask all those that are going on one simple question, "Una no fit produce electricity"? grin
Re: Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) by Theblessed(f): 8:05pm On May 03, 2009
princejay:

Its difficult to believe, but the National Anthem was changed because of that one offensive line. In a world where eminent Nigerians frequently refer to the country as "a mere geographical expression", the use of the word "tribe" and an admission of the fact that we "differ" could not be tolerated in the National Anthem.

But hey,

The truth must be told.  And the truth was there in the National Anthem, so stop blaming the British - Nigerians differ in many ways the only similarity we have as tribes of Nigeria is that: our skin/hair colours are black, period the rest are our differences.  So, we have many differences than similarities.
For starters, we have more than:

**200 languages/dialects in Nigeria to negotiate.

**We have no common language of our own except the English language which your so   
    called eminient Nigerians, living in England and most other English speaking countries
    use every day. There children are all in foreign schools, colleges and
    Universities studying in English language (Hypocrites!!!).

**Without English language we can not even understand each other, abi? At least, the
British have similar tribal divide as we have (Remember, the Scots, the Welsh, Northern
    Ireland and their Falkland Islands in Argentina) still, they have one common language       
    that binds them together and its call ENGLISH LANGUAGE but where's ours

**We have no unity in this country and we can not have real peace until  we have a 
    common language. Like Nigeria, Ghana have many languages but generally use one and its
    compulsory in their schools and colleges.  East and Southern African countries have many
languages but use/understand one language, common to most people and its called -
SWAHILI.

**Until the Nigerian Government makes the 3 major tribal languages compulsory in our
    schools, Colleges etc, the divisions in our country will continue. 

So, my dear brother, its time we stop blaming the British for every thing and start dealing with our in-fighting because there's great division in our country in many ways.
Re: Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) by Narcissicist: 7:44am On Dec 23, 2013
Theblessed:

Yeh! What a logical and intelligent man!  But check, the language in which he wrote his commentary - what is it?

A foreign language, and if you check further the cloths and shoes on his feet, have all the hallmarks of foreign ideas.  The cars, lorries, trains, aeroplanes, satellite, etc  in Nigeria are all foreign ideas.  Shame, on their stupid pride!!!

Nigeria we hail thee!  And God bless Nigeria!
Lmao

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria National Anthem (Old In Use: 1960-1978) by Emrexonline: 12:34am On Jun 05, 2017
i prefer d former anthem it seems more inspirational to me and i have once heard a pastor call this new anthem we use a disco one though d old 1 was not composed by a Nigerian but it is human being not animal that composed it and by using the anthem does not mean we are under bondage or are going to go back to captivity what we could have done is forget about who composed and keep using it

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Best University In Nigeria? / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English / FCMB Locates Little Girl, Dele That Used ATM Light For Assignment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.