Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,309 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Where Have All The Trees Gone? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Where Have All The Trees Gone? (1097 Views)

OMG!!! See Photos Of A Miraculous Trees With Human-like Private Parts In CAR / Ancient Trees' Twisted Limbs / FUNNY PHOTOS OF Naturally Sexy Trees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Have All The Trees Gone? by beneli(m): 10:41am On Apr 03, 2009
Where have all the trees gone?

The big trees are fast disappearing from Igboland.  In the Ngwa area from which I hail, that was the frightening discovery I made during my visit in August, 2004.  There no apu trees in Amapu, nor orji trees in Amorji, no egbu trees in a market called Nkwo Egbu, no ugba trees in Ugba Junction, no ahaba to be seen along a road that used to be known as Okporo Ahaba.
-http://www.amadipress.com/Tales%20of%20Igbo%20Childhood.htm

I stumbled on the above piece, while looking for information relating to the different peoples that make up Nd’Igbo.

I find this piece laden with a certain nostalgia and symbolism that resonates with me.

This is not about ethno-centric nationalism but the nostalgia of one who left home an African child, but who has become gradually lost in the maze of trying to be a man of the world…

To my shame, I know very little about our people and our culture.

And while there are many out there who will be quick to jump up and point the ‘more-Igbo-than-thou-fingers’ at me, I think that the problem is a lot deeper than my lack of knowledge about our history and our identity. It has become a problem that afflicts most Africans-nay most young people of all cultures-in this age of the global village,

The last time I went home and visited Aba and then my village in Ngwa land, and later saw the level of infrastructural and moral decadence that had taken us hostage, I left with a certain pain gripping my chest. A pain that lingered long after I had bid my kinsmen goodbye and boarded the plane, yet again, on my journey back to ala bekee, the land of the 'white man' where I have made my home in my quest for a place of refuge for my soul.

Where have all the trees that were to have symbolised our resurgent sence of pride and liberty gone?

In his poem titled 'Africa', David Diop made reference to the significance of the trees thus:

That tree over there
Splendidly alone amidst white and faded flowers
That is your Africa springing up anew
Springing up patiently, obstinately
Whose fruit bit by bit acquires
The bitter taste of liberty.
                -David Diop (1927-1960)
Re: Where Have All The Trees Gone? by blackspade(m): 1:44am On Apr 04, 2009
If we don't act fast, deforestation is gonna to change not only the face of Igboland, but Africa forever.

We as a continent are only second to South America when it comes to how fast deforestation is occurring.

What's even worse is that after we cut the trees down, hardly anyone ever plants the seeds for new ones to grow.
Re: Where Have All The Trees Gone? by OgidiBoy(m): 1:57am On Apr 04, 2009
Funny My dad and a family friend was discussing this same issue the last time we visited the village. I heard some of those trees can be as old as 200 years. Truly very sad cry

(1) (Reply)

What Does The Favourite Colour Of The Person Above U On The Thread Says Abt them / Seun, Can You Please Add This Feature? / Weird Or Awesome; Indian Man Climbs Ladder With Motorbike On His Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.