Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,827 members, 7,817,414 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics (51506 Views)

99% Will Fail This Simple Logic, I Swear / 95% Will Pronounce This Number Wrongly.. / 95% Of Nairalander Will Fail This,picx. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nicklaus(m): 1:53am On Sep 05, 2015
ucheuzor1:
Why are we failing this simple question my fellow nairalanders including those in higher institution...pls for clarity sake, the answer is 6.from bodmas, u do ur multiplication b4 addition and finally subtraction..
from the given equation,
3+(3*3)-(3+3)= (3+9)-(6)
=12-6=6
do u know that -(3+3)= -3-3=-6 ? I ve been laughing at everyone and didn't want to comment. If these are the kind of graduates this country produces I m not surprise we are where we are
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by EmtolalaaPRAISE(m): 1:54am On Sep 05, 2015
Answer is

18... If U got something else, sorry the internet is not for you... go n learn your maths well before coming here to chyke a girl... nawa ooo. and more than 95% failed it lol
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by 989900: 1:55am On Sep 05, 2015
This question again?
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by willuu: 2:02am On Sep 05, 2015
so is it the correct one 12
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by icn121: 2:09am On Sep 05, 2015
BishopMagic:

simple bodmas

Simple BODMAS, but u failed it abysmally.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nicklaus(m): 2:20am On Sep 05, 2015
Chynx:
Addition and subtraction must be grouped together at all time! In the case below; the multiplication sign serves as a barrier between two different entities.

Therefore; 3+3×3-3+3 should be represented thus:

(3+3) × (3-3+3)
= (6) × (3)
= 18 QED.

Most people have arrived at 12 as their final answers...which simply reflects the 95% failure rate.

Note: Mathematics is what I do for a living.
can't help but wonder what u do with mathematics. Let show u what u ve just done.
y+(yxy)-y+y
=(y+y) x (y-y+y).

Instead of (y+y2-y+y).

Intuition doesn't solve mathematics perspicacity does.

If the majority know what they are doing I think there is hope for the future afterall.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Larryjay4u: 2:22am On Sep 05, 2015
Are u confused? First u said the answer is 6 and at the end u said 12. See the result of copying

olawalepopoola:
The answer is 6. BODMAS
Step 1: Multiply 3 by 3 first. This gives nine
Step 2: Add it to the 3. I.E. 9 plus 3. This Gives you 12
Step 3: On the Other side add 3 plus 3. This gives 6
Step four: Now subtract the 6 from 12.
Answer = 12 (QED)

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 2:27am On Sep 05, 2015
If u follow the rule of bodmas you get 6. I wonder why some state bodmas and arrive at 12?. They do subtraction in between additions.
Na wa for Nigerian students o.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nicklaus(m): 2:39am On Sep 05, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

You must be d greatest dullard to think a minus sign in front of an integer following another integer makes the former a negative integer.

You are talking to someone who holds a Masters degree from a UK university, so shove that your UNIBEN masters where d sun doesn't shine.
well that's a shame to you. A good thing you didn't mention the uk university since u couldn't solve a problem as cheap as this. It's either you weren't well taught or didn't learn well, ok. Spare everyone the dirty master's degree fib. it's obviously just a paper-work.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Burger01(m): 2:58am On Sep 05, 2015
MISSNORA:
Simple bodmas.... Mtchew...The answer C! = 12
Where's kossyablaze o! My mathematican
Olodo! As simple as it was, you missed it! smiley
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by jibbzion(m): 3:22am On Sep 05, 2015
So Op, now that this question has circulated the whole world and back to Nigeria, it's only logical to say that more that 50% will get this right.

At the end, I'm just saying.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by juman(m): 3:24am On Sep 05, 2015
Primary school maths.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by adioolayi(m): 3:25am On Sep 05, 2015
Rules of Ordering in Mathematics - BODMAS
BODMAS is a useful acronym that lets you know which order to
solve mathematical problems (or sums). It's important that you
follow the rules of BODMAS as without it your answers can be
wrong.
The BODMAS acronym is for:
B rackets (parts of a calculation inside brackets always come first).
Orders (numbers involving powers or square roots).
D ivision
M ultiplication
A ddition
S ubtraction
Brackets
Start with anything inside brackets, going from left to right.
Example:
4 × (3 + 2)= ?
You need to do the operation, or sum, inside the brackets first, 3 +
2, then multiply the answer by 4.
3 + 2 = 5.
4 × 5 = 20
If you ignored the brackets and did the sum 4 × 3 + 2 you would get
14. You can see how the brackets make a difference to the answer.
Orders
Do anything involving a power or a square root next (these are also
known as orders), again working from left to right if there is more
than one.
Example:
3 + 5 = ?
You need to do the power sum first, before you can add 5.
3 = 3 × 3 = 9
9 + 5 = 14
Division and Multiplication
Once you have done any parts of the sum involving brackets or
powers the next step is division and multiplication. These rank
equally, so you go from left to right in the sum, doing each
operation in the order in which it appears.
Example:
4 × 5 ÷ 2 + 7 = ?
You need to do division and multiplication first, but you have one of
each. Go from left to right, which means that you start with 4 × 5 =
20. Then do the division, 20 ÷ 2 = 10. Only then do you move to the
addition: 10 + 7 = 17. The answer is 17 .
Addition and Subtraction
The final step is to calculate any addition or subtraction. Again,
these rank equally, and you simply move from left to right.
Example:
4 + 6 - 7 + 3 = ?
You simply start on the left and work your way across.
4 + 6 = 10
10 - 7 = 3
3 + 3 = 6
The answer is 6.

source
http://www.skillsyouneed.com/num/bodmas.html

Dear Nairalanders follow the rule....you will get 12....Addition and subtraction rank equally in BODMAS...just work from left to right.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by friends4ever(m): 3:25am On Sep 05, 2015
=18 grin cool
Am i olodo or intelligent
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by ba7man(m): 3:29am On Sep 05, 2015
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by vernalsage(m): 3:47am On Sep 05, 2015
The reason for the confusion between 12 and 6 is quite simple.
It results from a corollary of BODMAS most of us were not taught.

WHENEVER THE ADDITION AND SUBTRACTION (OR MULTIPLICATION AND DIVISION) OPERATORS FOLLOW EACH OTHER, ALWAYS EVALUATE THAT REGION FROM LEFT TO RIGHT REGARDLESS OF THE ORDER OF THE OPERATORS.

e.g.

9-3+4 = 10 and not 2
12÷3×2 = 8 and not 2

Again, where + and - or × and ÷ follow one another, disregard BODMAS and evaluate THAT PART from left to right.

Now to the problem in hand.

3 + 3 × 3 - 3 + 3
Of course we evaluate the × first to get

3 + 9 - 3 + 3

At this point, we have alternating + and - signs so we ignore BODMAS and evaluate from left to right.

This gives us 12, which is the correct answer.

P.S.: contrary to what a number of people have said, you can't just introduce Brackets arbitrarily if it's not in the question.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by vernalsage(m): 4:01am On Sep 05, 2015
Here's a link I found that explains better.http://www.abacustraining.biz/AboutBodmas.htm

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by tevinsolt: 4:31am On Sep 05, 2015
In this case "Bodmas" which we call "Pemdas" is not applicable in this problem. In this case you always solve from going from left to right. Which gives you 18.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Aystarz: 4:34am On Sep 05, 2015
adedayor08:
na wao i pity this generation how does 6 or 12 became the answer.

later u will abuse buhari
3+3*3-3+3
6*3

No teach your innocent nephews and nieces bodmas oo. U be confam olodo

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by kasim155: 4:55am On Sep 05, 2015
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Oguieke(m): 4:59am On Sep 05, 2015
[quot author=biafransoul post=37676792]12 (bodmas) (3+3)*3)- 3+3
(6)*3)-(6)
(18)-(6)
18-6 =12[/quote] what u just did is unmathematical, aka wrong approach
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Tundeiab(m): 5:01am On Sep 05, 2015
BishopMagic:

simple bodmas
There is nothing magical about this Bishop o. The answer no be 6, it's 12.

Multiply first then add after that you will subtract which will give you 12
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Willzkid(m): 5:46am On Sep 05, 2015
I pity the generation of graduates we are producing..

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by ehis4real1: 6:01am On Sep 05, 2015
Answer=6. 3+3*3-3+3
3+(3*3)-3+3. BODMAS
3+9-3+3
12-6
Is like sum ppl don't knw hw 2 apply d rules of bodmas. Solve d multiplicatn fest b4 addition nd subtraction. Now apply it nd solve it
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by evjblizee: 6:04am On Sep 05, 2015
the answer is 18
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nicklaus(m): 6:08am On Sep 05, 2015
It's a shame that so many are getting this simple thing all twisted. Some are even inventing new bodmas method. My lil jss 1 student ll do this without even jotting it down. This thing is as simple as it gets. The thought that it's complicated is the beginning of failure.

Some claimed to be engineers, some said they have UK master's degree, some claimed they do maths for a living and yet they got 6 18 24 and even 35... cheesy

Som1 solved 3+3x3-3+3 =(3+3)x(3-3+3)=6x3=18

The above solution is fundamentally wrong and was dead from d start. How? Good.
Here we have a mixed operation of - + and x signs and x is the most basic of them all which is why it shud be taken out first and unlike + and - the x sign basically join 2 integers together meaning it can't exist with only 1 integer like + and - the above solution ripped the multiplication sign (x) apart, saying ;;;

b+2xb-b+b= (b+2) x (b-b+b) wrong! But
b+2xb-b+b= (b+2b-b+b) correct!

Some also solved 3+3x3-3+3 = 3+(9)-(3+3) =12-6=6

These set applied bodmas intuitively rather than insightfully.
First of all u shud know that B- one operation
O- one operation
D&M- one operation
A&S- one operation
The order in which they perform is the other in which they are listed above from first(B) to last(A&S). Where you have only D&M for instance 3x4÷2x3=3x4=12÷2=6x3=18, it didn't matter which came first because they have the same standard of operation and this applies to A&S too.

Since the above problem has a variety of 2 operations the M(x)sign and A&S(+&-) sign respectively, take out the most basic i.e the (x) by bracketing it and you ll have

3+3x3-3+3 = 3+(3x3)-3+3 =3+9-3+3

Note: once the Multiplication(x) sign has been eliminated the D&M operation is out meaning you have only one operation left which is the A&S(+&-) and when solving only one operation of any kind, whether D&M or A&S the use of bracket is completely useless. This was where even the mighty fell.

So we have ;: 3+9-3+3
= 12-3+3
= 9+3
= 12

Peace smiley
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Stanlyag(m): 6:21am On Sep 05, 2015
Segadem:
chai,see grammar 95% people fails
Thank you that's what I wanted to point out. For me, not being able to solve mathematics is pardonable but simple errors in English language is highly irritating to me.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by femi4: 6:30am On Sep 05, 2015
ehis4real1:
Answer=6. 3+3*3-3+3
3+(3*3)-3+3. BODMAS
3+9-3+3
12-6 + 0
6 12
[s]Is like sum ppl don't knw hw 2 apply d rules of bodmas. Solve d multiplicatn fest b4 addition nd subtraction. Now apply it nd solve it[/s]
-3+3 is the same as 3-3. The negative sign belongs to "3".
you can even factorise it as -1(3-3) = -1(0) = 0

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Temihatz(m): 6:32am On Sep 05, 2015
6, 9, 18 abeggii

3x3=9
3+9=12

-3+3=0

12+0=12

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by xreal: 6:40am On Sep 05, 2015
olawalepopoola:
The answer is 6. BODMAS
Step 1: Multiply 3 by 3 first. This gives nine
Step 2: Add it to the 3. I.E. 9 plus 3. This Gives you 12
Step 3: On the Other side add 3 plus 3. This gives 6
Step four: Now subtract the 6 from 12.
Answer = 12
(QED)

what distracted your focus at this point?

You were correct from the beginning, and got just the final answer wrong.

If I were to score you, I would score you 90%; obviously you knew what you were doing.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Hoggy: 6:54am On Sep 05, 2015
using a calculator would not give the right solution to the mathematical problem, the guy is right you always have to consider your bracket placing the answer is 18
erusen:
see oh I don die abeg use calculator first
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 05, 2015
MISSNORA:
Simple bodmas.... Mtchew...The answer C! = 12
Where's kossyablaze o! My mathematican

can i have ur number i av money plus a very big dick. reply soon

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

What Are Those Courses You Won't Advise Anyone To Study In Nigeria? / Funny List Of Nigerian Universities & What They Are Known For / Buhari Receives Ufot Ekong, Nigerian Student That Solved 30yr Old Math Puzzle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.