Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,095 members, 7,821,790 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

Judge Me, Was I Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Judge Me, Was I Wrong? (1321 Views)

"My Wife’s Beauty Makes Me Sleepless, I Want A Divorce" - Zimbabwea Man To Judge / Was I Wrong Opening Up To My Husband? / Was I Wrong?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by 5minsmadness: 7:49am On Sep 05, 2015
I was on my way to Lagos yesterday when I started recieiving facebook alert messages from a long lost friend, lets call him Mark. Now, I and Mark havent communicated in over 12yrs, I'm not even sure when i added him on facebook cos I've been adding a lot of peeps recently. So when I saw his facebook alert I was naturally excited and we immediately started chatting

"Guuuuuuuy! longes time, how far na?
"Fine oh Pabs, e don tay, how things?"
"I dey oh, am on my way to lagos now and network is fluctuating"
"Ok send me your number so I can call make we chat small"

So i sent him my number. he asked where i was, I told him i was in lagos and he told me he was far up north. He kept callin me "Sir", "Oga" etc and i was like "this formality too much, we be padi na"
Next thing he was like he's been going through a rough patch, his wife just delivered another child which was unplanned and things were really rough since he's been in the country.

Then he asked if he could borrow N10k.

I was like ok...he was like n10k isnt much, what is n10k , just n10k so he can give his wife to cater for the baby. I felt a little uncomfortable but I later thought well, its to help a friend in a dire situation and whats n10k that i cant spare anyway. So i said ok I'll send it to him. he said thanks and then cut. A few minutes later I recieved a text message from a number telling me to pay the n10k into a strange account. it was a yoruba name account(am not a tribalist o, just trying to explain things) and this my guy is supposed to be core Urhobo. Also the place he stated he was supposedly in was in the "deep" north (its not as if yorubas are not in the north sha). Also i was like, why send me this odd number, why not send me his own account number or his wifes so I can pay it in? He replied that he had to travel urgently and that person would be the one to send the money to his wife.

All my alarm bells went off instantly

This is someone i havent seen in more than a decade, I'm not sure if he was even the one who really called, also we didnt chat so much for me to ascertain if he knew certain personal stuff or not (I wasnt suspicious at the time).

So I decided to ignore. Coincidentally I got to lag late when the bank had closed and was also extremely busy the next day so much so that I didnt even eat until 3pm. The guy kept calling my line until a colleague answered it and when questioned he dropped instantly, only to resume calling a few minutes later. He later desisted around 4pm.

I've been feeling guilty since, I must confess. Was i being paranoid? Did i do the right thing? But after ten years didnt my friend have a closer person or family member to call for assistance? Was I right or wrong in my decision?
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by MsRemarkable(f): 7:53am On Sep 05, 2015
You followed your guts!
That's all you needed.
I'd sha do the same! wink

4 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by MzCorleone(f): 8:05am On Sep 05, 2015
Corporate begger grin

Some people sha!!
How can you start asking someone you have neither seen nor heard from in a while money?
Whatever happened to his relatives? undecided

4 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Greyworld: 8:05am On Sep 05, 2015
Broda smtyms one has to be careful and that is exactly what you did. If subsequently you discover he was actually your friend and really needed the help then you can explain and make things up to him (if need be)

2 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 05, 2015
you might have been duped. Try and chat up with him again, ask him personal questions to see if he is the Mark you know, or some Professional scammers.

3 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by MissSlimbody(f): 8:12am On Sep 05, 2015
You did nothing wrong bro.
Scammers are devising new strategies daily.

One has to be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Chidoks(f): 8:36am On Sep 05, 2015
You didn't do wrong. However, if you are disturbed about the issue; call hin, engage him in a discussion that has to do with stuffs that happned while you guys were in contact. If he's real then open up and tell him you would prefer he sent an account that bears his real name as that will make satisfied that you are dealing with the right person. By the way what of his voice, did you notice similarities?
Talking about relatives it's possible he must have pestered them so much that they avoid his call.He may really be in need but again con men are begining to outnumber the good guys.
Whatever you do, follow your instincts because there are times you really want to give but your instincts could say otherwise.in such situations, i dismiss that pricking of the conscience with a hunch of the shoulders afterall you can't help every needy person you come accross.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 8:41am On Sep 05, 2015
If you want to help, help dont make a thread out of it!!

1 Like

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by bellong: 8:44am On Sep 05, 2015
Don't pay into an account you cannot verify.

You did the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Osisie(m): 9:09am On Sep 05, 2015
If u have a bank account that resembles that of Yemi Osinbanjo(considering his recent asset declaration) , then u should have given him the 10k without a second thought. But if ur account is as red as Majek Fashek's eyes, then u were right. U should probe him b4 giving out d cash cos u sure aint getting it back.

Generally speaking, u should be kind and generous always. Love is what u owe th world. And it doesn't matter whether or not u're familiar with them.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by funlord(m): 9:48am On Sep 05, 2015
grin
Even all the way from abuja, I can still smell this SCAM!
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by ronald4lif(m): 9:57am On Sep 05, 2015
When people start calling you sir, oga, chairman etc be worried. They are most times trying to weaken your demurrer and project an image of one who's loyal and respectful before unleashing their main objective which is to solicit for favours. I don't entertain such designates and would tell you to call me by my real name.

When we relate on an equal basis, you might not feel comfortable asking for unnecessary favours but when you guilefully attempt to place me above you by according me suspicious names then I'm unconsciously inviting bogus "demand list". Do well to stop anyone who assign you such titles, particularly those you don't know too well like this fella.

You did the right thing by asking for an account details that is related to his name and he should be willing to provide it or come up with a more convincing reason than the one tendered if serious. There's no point even trying to grill him further to ascertain if he's the said friend, let him just provide his accurate banking details. He has no right to be inundating you with calls, you no owe hin money, so you're supposed to send at your own convenience and terms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 05, 2015
Dont feel guilty
Its not your fault . . bad people have spoiled it for people in genuine need.

If you feel inclined to, then do some more investigations
but do not send a penny to anyone unless you are sure of who you are sending it to.
The whole thing doesnt quite sit well with me. Always follow your instincts.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 05, 2015
Note that just because its from Facebook doesn't mean that's the same person you know.
People hack Facebook accounts, they also sell theirs.

Its been ten years you don't know who he is.
If it was a person on NL who played such a tale you would probably grill them like fire.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by bukatyne(f): 11:44am On Sep 05, 2015
ronald4lif:
When people start calling you sir, oga, chairman etc be worried. They are most times trying to weaken your demurrer and project an image of one who's loyal and respectful before unleashing their main objective which is to solicit for favours. I don't entertain such designates and would tell you to call me by my real name.

When we relate on an equal basis, you might not feel comfortable asking for unnecessary favours but when you guilefully attempt to place me above you by according me suspicious names then I'm unconsciously inviting bogus "demand list". Do well to stop anyone who assign you such titles, particularly those you don't know too well like this fella.

You did the right thing by asking for an account details that is related to his name and he should be willing to provide it or come up with a more convincing reason than the one tendered if serious. There's no point even trying to grill him further to ascertain if he's the said friend, let him just provide his accurate banking details. He has no right to be inundating you with calls, you no owe hin money, so you're supposed to send at your own convenience and terms.

Hmmm

You must be someone who is not egoistic.

You are free from the shackles of manipulation
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 05, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 05, 2015
5minsmadness:
I was on my way to Lagos yesterday when I started recieiving facebook alert messages from a long lost friend, lets call him Mark. Now, I and Mark havent communicated in over 12yrs, I'm not even sure when i added him on facebook cos I've been adding a lot of peeps recently. So when I saw his facebook alert I was naturally excited and we immediately started chatting

So i sent him my number. he asked where i was, I told him i was in lagos and he told me he was far up north. He kept callin me "Sir", "Oga" etc and i was like "this formality too much, we be padi na"
Next thing he was like he's been going through a rough patch, his wife just delivered another child which was unplanned and things were really rough since he's been in the country.

I was like ok...he was like n10k isnt much, what is n10k , just n10k so he can give his wife to cater for the baby. I felt a little uncomfortable but I later thought well, its to help a friend in a dire situation and whats n10k that i cant spare anyway. So i said ok I'll send it to him. he said thanks and then cut. A few minutes later I recieved a text message from a number telling me to pay the n10k into a strange account. it was a yoruba name account(am not a tribalist o, just trying to explain things) and this my guy is supposed to be core Urhobo. Also the place he stated he was supposedly in was in the "deep" north (its not as if yorubas are not in the north sha). Also i was like, why send me this odd number, why not send me his own account number or his wifes so I can pay it in? He replied that he had to travel urgently and that person would be the one to send the money to his wife.

This is someone i havent seen in more than a decade, I'm not sure if he was even the one who really called, also we didnt chat so much for me to ascertain if he knew certain personal stuff or not (I wasnt suspicious at the time).

So I decided to ignore. Coincidentally I got to lag late when the bank had closed and was also extremely busy the next day so much so that I didnt even eat until 3pm. The guy kept calling my line until a colleague answered it and when questioned he dropped instantly, only to resume calling a few minutes later. He later desisted around 4pm.

I've been feeling guilty since, I must confess. Was i being paranoid? Did i do the right thing? But after ten years didnt my friend have a closer person or family member to call for assistance? Was I right or wrong in my decision?

The truth is he's not your friend, I was scammed like that, they used my friends phone and I normally send my friend cash and ask via phone. As long as you don't see his own account number then its a scam.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Onegai(f): 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2015
Hmm, you did the right thing. But do numbers show on Facebook, because that's most likely where he got the name of your friend from. I know they hack into emails and pretend to be you and ask others for money.

Anyone who calls up suddenly after a while and starts making demands is suspect.

1 Like

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by lezz(m): 2:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
5minsmadness:

All the signs Scream "SCAM". His trying to pauperize #10k is a trademark signature of scamsters. It's an emotional manipulation to challenge your ego and bride.

His persisted calling is also another trademark trait of scamsters : once you show a sigh of yielding to their demands, the greed takes over their judgement and they can't rest till they feel the cold prints of your money. A true friend wouldn't bug you so persistently.

Did he say he just came into the country? It's just to make you feel you're about to a small favour to a very important person who is just undergoing temporal financial difficulties.

Don't give in. Do your investigation and let us know more.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by NoRetreat(m): 2:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
If you want to help, help dont make a thread out of it!!
Are you the one that called him? If he made thread out of it , what's your business? Advice him if you have any.

4 Likes

Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by Ewuro4: 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
That's the new scamming trend.. Those peeps are not sharp atall.

Caller: Hey paddy Mi, how you dey?

John doe: I dey oh, who be this na

Caller :,Na me oh, your high school friend I don enter Dublin now, how far now?

J.D; heyy Emeka , wassupp , long time no show

Caller: abi man must chop na,chairman I need your help please, been out of job for 2 months now, my firm laid off some workers and unfortunately one of them.

J.D; aww Nna ehn I'm sorry to hear that, no worries buddy, send me your acct # asap, what are friend for?

Caller: thanks so much

J.D: which Emeka is this cos I knew 2 Emekas

Caller: me now

J.D : who?

Caller: Na me Emeka na

J.D : I know , which of the two, your last name?

Caller: Foolish boy.. Dial tone ..... grin grin
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by nzgal: 3:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
Scam alert. You did well.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by ronald4lif(m): 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
bukatyne:

Hmmm

You must be someone who is not egoistic.

You are free from the shackles of manipulation

Not really about egoism. It's about trammelling manipulation like you rightly said and petit mind games people use to seek favour and think they're smart.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by jnrbayano(m): 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2015
Op,

Send that 10k to him and he will make judicious use of his hard-earned money.

He will buy a large barbecue fish with 3 bottles of Odeku nwamama (big stout) He wont stop there. He will commandeer one beautifully sexy lass to grace his table with regular whispers into her left ear (nne taba money)

His weekend would have been well documented.
Re: Judge Me, Was I Wrong? by bukatyne(f): 9:41pm On Sep 05, 2015
ronald4lif:

Not really about egoism. It's about trammelling manipulation like you rightly said and petit mind games people use to seek favour and think they're smart.

Very true

Fake humility and initial gra gra seems to be the standard way of getting our way/ things done.

No place for dialogue and respectful conversations.

(1) (Reply)

See What This Guy Is Doing To His Daughter (photo) / Question About Love Making For Married Couples Above 5 Years! / She Stop Taking My Calls Because I Didn't Give Her Money For Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.