Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,911 members, 7,838,250 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday (4473 Views)

11 Annoying Things About Yaba Market / First Bank Uyo Shut Down As A Result Of Juju (pics) / Banks Plan Nationwide Shut-Down Over DSS Detention Of Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by tpia: 5:19am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by tpia: 5:21am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by tpia: 5:28am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by zoraro(m): 5:36am On Apr 05, 2009
tpia:

unfortunately for you, you're quite wrong. The number of Lagosians in other states cant be compared to the number of people from other states in lagos.

Since you share the view that everybody should return to their roots, perhaps you should consider leaving NewZealand and come back to Nigeria to "develop your State". All Nigerians in other countries should  also go and develop their Country.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by tpia: 6:11am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by tpia: 6:34am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by tpia: 6:57am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by sley4life(m): 7:30am On Apr 05, 2009
fashola shuld kip up his gud work. They turned our railway line in yaba& oshodi to market, We 9ja complain when the right thing is done, if by doing the right thing it affects the others then keep it up, He will find a place for those yaba trader
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by dominique(f): 12:58pm On Apr 05, 2009
lagos is the by far the most stressful place i've ever stayed. if i ever get the oppprtunity to leave here for good, i'll pack my load and vamoose without looking back . i've been on a bus tour through different parts of the country (at least 12 states or more ) and honestly speaking, there is very little hapenning in those states, but a lot can be done to turn that around . me thinks other state governor should rise to the challenge and try to develop their states so that people will actually be willing to go back. north- central nigeria (kogi, kwara, benue, nasarawa)has very fertile land, the government can go a long way in commercializing their agriculture, we hold the key to our own success.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by kritikul(f): 1:08pm On Apr 05, 2009
the cries of frustrated hearts and souls will send fasola to an early grave. I wish someone should advise him to make amends before its late.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by cabali(m): 2:02pm On Apr 05, 2009
no matter the kind of prayers you pray against him, fashola gets more praise and prayers from a lot of people.

The thing is; lagos must be transformed! and it has already started in less than 2 years. We welcome more demolitions and restructuring. This isnt the first time it is happening. It happened in abuja and we are happy with what it has become.

It isnt compulsory to be in lagos period. You dont like the transformations, you are excused!
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by PurestBoy(m): 6:10pm On Apr 05, 2009
Fashola doesnt care about the poor and that's my problem with him, He wants to make Lagos look like New York not minding if Lagosians are OK
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by darznets(m): 12:47pm On Apr 06, 2009
Hmmm, I really get amused when people talk here about Fashola providing alternative whenever illegal stalls are demolished.
Some wakes up in the morning without any plan of what he/she is coming to do in Lagos, catches the next bus and lo and behold , he/she is in lagos "to make money" , wakes up one morning and found an empty space even on either main road or rail line and begin to sell wares not minding wether its an appropriate place or not. Before you say Jack, the place soon become market even at the detriment of the passersby.

Then a government who knows it obligation decides to sanitise the environment moves in to clear the rubbish and people begin to shout he doesnt provide alternative,

The question i do ask people is "Is it the government that puts them there in the first place"? You see people with there wares in the middle of the highway in Oshodi and they will even curse you if you mistakenly touch their wares as if the middle of the highway i duely allocated to them as market and some folks here are talking about alternative.

The real culprit here is actually the "useless" local government official that collect illegal permit fee from these ignorant traders, making them to believe they legally allocated a market space.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by oleigh(m): 4:40pm On Apr 06, 2009
na wa ooo,i dey 4 porthacourt as i no know wetin dey happen oooo.wey i still dey think say i go come yaba come pack some akube,how i go do am now.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by server34(m): 5:08pm On Apr 06, 2009
Whaaaaaaatttt!!!!!! Now only the rich ladies can dress fly. Less ladies to flirt with on the streets.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by wendyc: 6:32pm On Apr 06, 2009
Nairalanders,
it's really sad that the market was destroyed the way it is. Lagos, is starting to do some things that it should have done a while ago, and also with much in mind.
Let's look at this from a lot of views,maybe it can help make somethings clear. When you go shopping in Yaba, there is shops here and there, traders on the road and all around, sometimes the place you meet this trader is not where they'll be the next time you go. changing all this i think will work if things are done correctly.
The traders definately need somewhere to do their business, we are ow in the 21th century and not all things sell on the road or in market anymore. THE INTERNET is now a place to do business while you stay at your house. the population in Lagos is too much to fit all these traders. look at it this way, everyone has one or two things to sell, and they all bring it to the streets, these clouds the raod and traffic, theft, crime, child endangerment- child hawking, and all these go on. now not all may be literate enough to conduct business online, this is where educated ones are employed creating jobs for some that can do the work. it's a process and i think that if they realize that this is not just way the govt is sending them out on the streets.i'll think they would have gotten notice of such, and plan ahead for when it comes eventually, they will relocate to this place, or do this for the time being, now it's not easy, believe me, it's not, the long run, it will make some sense if they think of it and how positively affect their sales too.
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by blacksta(m): 8:44pm On Apr 06, 2009
wendyc:

Nairalanders,
it's really sad that the market was destroyed the way it is. Lagos, is starting to do some things that it should have done a while ago, and also with much in mind.
Let's look at this from a lot of views,maybe it can help make somethings clear. When you go shopping in Yaba, there is shops here and there, traders on the road and all around, sometimes the place you meet this trader is not where they'll be the next time you go. changing all this i think will work if things are done correctly.
The traders definately need somewhere to do their business, we are ow in the 21th century and not all things sell on the road or in market anymore. THE INTERNET is now a place to do business while you stay at your house. the population in Lagos is too much to fit all these traders. look at it this way, everyone has one or two things to sell, and they all bring it to the streets, these clouds the raod and traffic, theft, crime, child endangerment- child hawking, and all these go on. now not all may be literate enough to conduct business online, this is where educated ones are employed creating jobs for some that can do the work. it's a process and i think that if they realize that this is not just way the govt is sending them out on the streets.i'll think they would have gotten notice of such, and plan ahead for when it comes eventually, they will relocate to this place, or do this for the time being, now it's not easy, believe me, it's not, the long run, it will make some sense if they think of it and how positively affect their sales too.

Please fash carry on demolishing. The fact of the matter those people weren't suppose to there in the first place
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by namun(f): 11:58pm On Apr 06, 2009
those that made reasonable an logical posts like darzat and blacksta and so on.
please keep on. i have noticed that nigerians, myself nothwitstanding can be very lawless and need to be forced to do what is right. in the first place, these poeple are not maintaining the enviroment. rather they cause traffic and dirt. it is high time, that anyone who does not have anything reasonable to do in lagos  should find the wa home
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by freshB2: 1:21am On Apr 07, 2009
lagos is the by far the most stressful place i've ever stayed.  if i ever get the oppprtunity to leave here for good, i'll pack my load and vamoose without looking back . i've been on a bus tour through different parts of the country (at least 12 states or more ) and honestly speaking, there is very little hapenning in those states, but a lot can be done to turn that around . me thinks other state governor should rise to the challenge and try to develop their states so that people will actually be willing to go back. north- central nigeria  (kogi, kwara, benue, nasarawa)has very fertile land, the government can go a long way in commercializing their agriculture, we hold the key to our own success. 

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR INNOCENT PEOPLE TO SACRIFICE TO YOUR gods? SO YOU WANT TO ATTRACT US TO EXPECIALLY KWARA AND NASARAWA FOR RITUALS LIKE YOU DID IN JOS, KANO, BAUCH AND KADUNA - tufiakwa!

Please fash  carry on demolishing.  The fact of the matter those people weren't suppose to there in the first place

UNFORTUNATELY YOU ARE STILL BEING SPOON-FED. WHEN YOU AND YOUR LIKES ARE UPTO 10 YEARS OF AGE, I SHALL PERSONALLY RESPOND TO YOU. DO NOT TRY TO BLARE AS I WILL NOT WASTE A MINUTE OF RESPONSE ON IGNORANT PERSON
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by ayobase(m): 1:48pm On Apr 07, 2009
that is very terrible!
Where do I get my bend-down-select again

What about Aswani?
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by mrduru: 10:31pm On Apr 07, 2009
There must be a better way to these things.

I really appreciate what the governor is doing but alternatives (no matter how small) should be provided for the people affected.

Truly not everyone must be in Lagos but it's the joint work of people from different localities that have made Lagos what it is today - "The Centre of Excellence."

Even the lowest earner contributes to the economy,
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by Joan4427(f): 4:44pm On Apr 13, 2009
It's such a shame that this kind of thing as to happen with no prior planning/warning of all concerned. Because the people have no say whatsoever, the government does what it likes.
Look at it anyway you want, it's still not fair to those who have to lose their business and means of income in the process!
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by moneygurl: 3:21pm On Apr 14, 2009
Joan4427:

It's such a shame that this kind of thing as to happen with no prior planning/warning of all concerned. Because the people have no say whatsoever, the government does what it likes.
Look at it anyway you want, it's still not fair to those who have to lose their business and means of income in the process!

The Yaba market everyone is talking about is the one along the railway line. The market was cleared by the Federal Government. They railways corporation gave them[b] 2 YEARS[/b] warning (even the market people confirmed this, and that they had stopped collecting fees from them 2 years ago) before going there on the faithful day to demolish the illegal structure. How much warning are they suppose to give them? 10 years
Re: Yaba Market Shut Down Yesterday by Joan4427(f): 11:42pm On May 08, 2009
moneygurl:

The Yaba market everyone is talking about is the one along the railway line. The market was cleared by the Federal Government. They railways corporation gave them[b] 2 YEARS[/b] warning (even the market people confirmed this, and that they had stopped collecting fees from them 2 years ago) before going there on the faithful day to demolish the illegal structure. How much warning are they suppose to give them? 10 years

Okay, thanks for clarifying this Moneygurl.
The Original Poster did not make that fact known. What you said changes everything the, Here in the US, 90 days is the least warning period they give to store/office leasers. So in this case 2 years (24 months) is more than ample time. ENOUGH SAID!  cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exchange Rate Of Naira To Dollar As At Today / Customised Nylon Printing , IBADAN, Anyone? / Foreign Direct Investment To Nigeria Fell By 21% To $3.5 Billion In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.