Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross (12774 Views)

Your Thoughts On 'Girls In The Mood' Movie Poster / A Soap Opera TV AUDITION In Lagos / Rebeca: A Soap Opera On RSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2009
I started watching this soap two weeks ago and every time it's over, I WEEP at how far SA has left Nigerians behind when it comes to entertainment.

This soap is well acted, well written, well produced, well. . . well everything our Nigerian TV/Movie Entertainment business can ever produce.

I am so impressed by it, I wanna know everything. . . everything about it, so please if you are as big a fan of JC as I am, I'd love to read your opinions on this beautiful soap opera.

Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by wanville(m): 1:36pm On Apr 04, 2009
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by wanville(m): 1:37pm On Apr 04, 2009
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 5:04am On Apr 05, 2009
Finally another fan!! grin

You are right is is not soley a South African show but the collaboration isn't with Naija.

Are you ready for this? Okay, brace yourself for the shocker of all - shockers. . . The collaboration is with Namibia!!!

NAMIBIA!! NAMI-Freaking-BIA. shocked shocked shocked

No offense to Namibia oh but. . . Namibia??!!! Really??!!!

I don't know if I should cry or cry some more. It's like all these other African countries are looking at Naija and saying "Yeah, you go ahead and revel in your third largest movie industry-ness (in quantity produced) while we work on QUALITY!!!!"

Glad to know there are Naija fils students out there who want to shake things up. . . . keeping my fingers crossed for you. smiley
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by Nobody: 5:12am On Apr 05, 2009
are you surprised? South Africa is in the G-20, we are not . . . nuff said.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 5:26am On Apr 05, 2009
davidylan:

are you surprised? South Africa is in the G-20, we are not . . . nuff said.

Lol! You are right!!!

South Africa. . . I've come to terms with but Namibia? Honestly?!! Oy!! embarassed

See Promo!!!

[flash=435,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlD0rfPU2oE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj4mGX0D1PE&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by Nobody: 5:31am On Apr 05, 2009
the problem is Nigeria is not developing . . . if we could produce great shows like NTA used to in the late 80s early 90s . . . those days everyone would rush to their TV sets once it was almost 8pm because you didnt want to miss the soaps.

What has happened? Quota system, the promotion of mediocrity over talent, mass poverty, loss of the middle class, massive looting of the trasury has pushed us even farther behind than we used to be. What a shame.

No be only Namibia, soon we'll be buying Togolese movies.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 5:45am On Apr 05, 2009
Aaaaaaaaah! David Bite your tongue, don't curse us like that!!!! cheesy

Togolese movies?? I swear I will quit movie watching all together!! cheesy cheesy

Oh to be back in the days of Behind The Clouds, Cock Crow at Dawn (had no idea what was going on but I knew it was a good show), Checkmate and Ripples.

Sigh
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by tpia: 6:54am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by bishoptboy(m): 1:32pm On Apr 05, 2009
I watched the whole of season one and two and I must confess I really respet those guys. Its a pity that naija doesnt have any series to match JC. We are not developing cos our film (or whatever we have) is so messed up. I learnt that people make movies with their own money and sell it to marketers. where in the world is that done. we just make trash and sell it once we can afford to pay jim iyke and rita dominic to to appear in it.

for us to improve we need to re-visit the whole structure of the industry and shake things up. I study film in south africa and soon will shoot my first nollywood when the script and finance is ready cos i'm not rushing at all.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 9:12pm On Apr 06, 2009
tpia:

you forgot the multitudes of religious hypocrites who carry a bible by day and preach the gospel of hatred and murder by night.

Tee hee hee cheesy cheesy

bishoptboy:

I watched the whole of season one and two and I must confess I really respet those guys. Its a pity that naija doesnt have any series to match JC. We are not developing cos our film (or whatever we have) is so messed up. I learnt that people make movies with their own money and sell it to marketers. where in the world is that done. we just make trash and sell it once we can afford to pay jim iyke and rita dominic to to appear in it.

for us to improve we need to re-visit the whole structure of the industry and shake things up. I study film in south africa and soon will shoot my first nollywood when the script and finance is ready cos i'm not rushing at all.

What we need is a GOOD and RELIABLE governing body to stop all the Toms, Dicks and Harries from making movies willy nillyingly and there should be a standard. . . something like. . . oh I don't know, say. . .  anything that can't go toe to toe with JC is crap. I know this pretty much renders our entire movie industry crap but in this case, no bread is better than half.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 9:14pm On Apr 06, 2009
I wish I could get more videos for film and TV buffs to disect. . .  sad

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1okCn0zZOU&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:27pm On Apr 06, 2009
What's the plot?

also where do you watch it?

anytime I say that Nollywood should care more about quality instead of quantity, Im told by imbeciles that Im jealous

Bloody morons are proud of tripe.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 9:56pm On Apr 06, 2009
Bwahahahaha!! Is it only Jealousy. . . they will even call you enemy of progress, unpatriotic. I had one guy call me a witch. . . no wait it was wizard once.  cheesy cheesy cheesy

I don't take 'em seriously. . . I mean how can you when these are the same people who think baba suwe with charcoal jumping up and down is award winning acting? lipsrsealed

Anyway, this is the plot of JC

Jacob's Cross is a South African drama series about powerful oil magnates battling for Africa's rich off-shore oil resources.

Set in both South Africa and Namibia, the story centres around businessman Jacob Makhubu and his quest to build the next great South African empire.

The people in Jacob's world are all driven by a shared history of colonisation and desire to tap into the wealth of Africa while being divided by feuds over who the rightful owners of the resources are, how they should be exploited and who should benefit.

The story begins when Jacob, who's living a prosperous and happy life in South Africa, gets offered a deal, with immeasurable backing from a large Nigerian firm.

Determined to realise his dream of accessing a new energy source, the deal offers him the perfect opportunity of making it happen.

He's adamantly warned by his mother to stay away from the Nigerian dynasty and its business but refuses to take her advice and soon finds himself in a negotiation that will change his life forever.

He starts receiving strange phone calls from unknown sources, which result in even stranger questions from the police.

Despite all this, nothing can prepare him for what he discovers when he eventually agrees to go to Lagos, Nigeria to visit his mentor, Chief Abayomi.

The revelation he discovers sends him on an epic quest in which he learns that in order to fulfill his dreams he must be prepared to lose everything first.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:00pm On Apr 06, 2009
I think you mean Nkem Owoh wink

sounds good. How much of the cast makes up Nigerians since "Nigerians dynasty" is being use.

abi they have people playing Nigerians grin

Still havent told me how you watch it
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by Hauwa1: 10:14pm On Apr 06, 2009
tpia, LOL grin

david you are correct, it is just so sad.

Jinx, i didn't know JC is a nice soap. i saw a brief part on african channel, it just bored me to hell, thot it's another of Nolly (wonder why not SA channel sef). so it's nice eh?
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 10:26pm On Apr 06, 2009
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 10:32pm On Apr 06, 2009
Lmao! The Nigerian Dynasty clan. . .people whatever are Nigerians ooh or at least they have Nigerian names

Chief Aboyami Bankole Omotoso
Bola Abayomi Fabian Lojede
Folake Abayomi Moky Makura

Okay maybe one of them has Nigerian name. . . me I no sabi Fabian for Naija ooh and what is Moky? lipsrsealed
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 10:45pm On Apr 06, 2009
Hauwa, it is good ooh. . .at least from a production point of view which is why I am loooooving it so. kiss kiss

Karma, I am in Nigeria right now. . . get to watch it on their Africa Magic channel.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:16pm On Apr 06, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Karma, I am in Nigeria right now. . . get to watch it on their Africa Magic channel.

Oniranu angry
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by DoubleN(m): 2:11am On Apr 07, 2009
I absolutely love the Soap,very mature acting and the locations are splendid.Naija has a long way to go.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by bishoptboy(m): 9:47am On Apr 07, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Lmao! The Nigerian Dynasty clan. . .people whatever are Nigerians ooh or at least they have Nigerian names

Chief Aboyami Bankole Omotoso
Bola Abayomi Fabian Lojede
Folake Abayomi Moky Makura

Okay maybe one of them has Nigerian name. . . me I no sabi Fabian for Naija ooh and what is Moky? lipsrsealed

I know Fabian personally and he is Nigerian. Bankole is Akin Omotoso's father and he (Bankole) is the face of Vodacom south africa. he is a professor of the university of stellinborsh in south africa. I learn't Moky is Nigerian too but i have not met her before. Akin (Bankole's son) is one of the respected directors in South Africa. he has a production company called Tom Pictures (www.tompictures.co.za)
Akin is in pre-production on a Ken Saro Wiwa film and Honsou Djimon of blood diamond is said to act Ken Saro Wiwa. if you have seen Lord of War with nicolas cage. Akin acted and the liberian rebel leader that shot nicolas cage brother.
Sisi Jinx:

Bwahahahaha!! Is it only Jealousy. . . they will even call you enemy of progress, unpatriotic. I had one guy call me a witch. . . no wait it was wizard once.  cheesy cheesy cheesy

I don't take 'em seriously. . . I mean how can you when these are the same people who think baba suwe with charcoal jumping up and down is award winning acting? lipsrsealed

Anyway, this is the plot of JC

You are not the only one. they say i'm not patrotic and i'm jealous of other people. its sad that we dont strife for excellence.

Our people measure the success of our industry by the fact that actors just bought a jeep. they said Jenifa is the best film from nollywood because Funke bought jeep after the film was released. gosh! angry
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by SisiJinx: 10:44pm On Apr 07, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Oniranu  angry

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

bishoptboy:

I know Fabian personally and he is Nigerian. Bankole is Akin Omotoso's father and he (Bankole) is the face of Vodacom south africa. he is a professor of the university of stellinborsh in south africa. I learn't Moky is Nigerian too but i have not met her before. Akin (Bankole's son) is one of the respected directors in South Africa. he has a production company called Tom Pictures (www.tompictures.co.za)
Akin is in pre-production on a Ken Saro Wiwa film and Honsou Djimon of blood diamond is said to act Ken Saro Wiwa. if you have seen Lord of War with nicolas cage. Akin acted and the liberian rebel leader that shot nicolas cage brother.
You are not the only one. they say i'm not patrotic and i'm jealous of other people. its sad that we dont strife for excellence.

This is very good info. . . THANKS!!!! kiss kiss

Guess one has to move mind, body and soul outta nollywood to get things done properly.

Tres sad!!

Our people measure the success of our industry by the fact that actors just bought a jeep. they said Jenifa is the best film from nollywood because Funke bought jeep after the film was released. gosh! angry
Bwahahahahahahha
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 07, 2009
See as she dey insult Nollywood, kai!
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by bishoptboy(m): 5:53pm On May 12, 2009
nollywood should see the new south african movie "white wedding" and learn from them. the production company that made the film is just a company of 3 people. its one of the highest selling film now in SA
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by ohla(f): 12:03pm On May 14, 2009
can they ever learn??Nollywood i mean, i wonder who arranges all those stupid stupid awards they get abroad, anybody that has seen JC will agree that our best film cant compete with that soap, in terms of all from production,, cast, script, location and all, it rlly painful SA is actually beta in all than us pitful for giants of Africa,and pls nobody should say its a collabo btw 9ja and SA, nope, the guy just feature 9ja pips, to make it more interesting to watch, and i can say he got we 9ja pips attention, in all JC is the bomb and jenifa though funny is just ova hyped, i rest my case.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by ninibaby: 10:29pm On Jun 20, 2009
Its amazing, the storyline is just unique.

I just started getting into it as well.

The Nigerians featured do an amazing job.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by tpiah: 2:12am On Jun 21, 2009
Namibia is actually one of Africa's most stable and developed countries, according to wiki. Didnt know that before though Angelina Jolie's choice of the place when delivering her baby should have been a hint.

It used to be administered by South Africa, under apartheid.

the AIDs rate is extremely high though I dont know if its higher than Nigeria's.

Namibian legislature and parliament gardens

so I guess they can produce some pretty good quality shows of international standard.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by oyinda3(f): 2:51am On Jun 21, 2009
watching those two clips, it seems to me that most of the dialogue is in cellphone conversation form lol
are they they all talking on the phone all the time
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by Thirdborn: 1:30am On Jun 24, 2009
@Sisi Kill
There you are, been a while o' i see you are still at it. Thumbs up.

@everybody else
Jacob's Cross, men i don't like it, you know why? It reminds me how far behind we are. That show is the last straw, and Nigerians are bragging that no other country has a channel dedicated to it (African Magic). Who ever heard of someone claiming he has written a good story when it has been shifted to the recycle bin of the desk top? Thats all African Magic is A bin. Lets make stuff that can get onto Series channel or Mnet without us having to apologise to the foreigner sitting next to us on the couch for the terrible crap they just saw on TV.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by yoruba: 2:41pm On Jun 25, 2009
Ive seen some SA movies and I must say they are really good(some of them international award winnig), but the one problem for me is they only produce a couple of movies per year and they have a small film industry as comparison to india, us and eu. But the movies are quality and could be compared to international ones.
Re: Thoughts On The S/A Soap Jacob's Cross by tpiah: 5:53pm On Jun 25, 2009
well, except for the gun toting child soldiers in the last part of the movie, [i]The gods must be cra[/i]zy wasnt bad either.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Concubine: Nigerian Novel Made Into A Film / my favorite tv girl / Nollywood Has Been Hijacked By Foreigners & TV Houses - Emeka Ike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.