Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,629 members, 7,820,221 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. (1657 Views)

Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? / Proof Of The Motion Of The Earth In The Vacuum.(as In, Space) / Chinese Engineers Build A 17,000 Ton Flyover And Rotate It Into Place. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2015
If the earth spins at 465.1 m/s or 1675 km/h at the equator, take a plane into the air for 1 hour and tell me where your destination airport will be found? Or perhaps your takeoff runway should vanish beneath you, since its doing about 465.1m/s.
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by menesheh(m): 9:50pm On Sep 05, 2015
How many times will you post it.

If Earth stopped rotating, everyone not bolted to the ground would fall over and roll due east at the speed of a jet plane.
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 05, 2015
Mcdonelldouglas:
If the earth spins at 465.1 m/s or 1675 km/h at the equator, take a plane into the air for 1 hour and tell me where your destination airport will be found? Or perhaps your takeoff runway should vanish beneath you, since its doing about 465.1m/s.
I don't understand
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by kingkaspa: 10:21pm On Sep 05, 2015
menesheh:
How many times will you post it.

If Earth stopped rotating, everyone not bolted to the ground would fall over and roll due east at the speed of a jet plane.
Neil Degrasse Tyson just tweeted this.
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by jessejagga(m): 10:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
u ght a point op, bt the problem is a plane cant stay in d air for 1hour without moving!
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by johnydon22(m): 11:06pm On Sep 05, 2015
Mcdonelldouglas:
[b]It is called Uniformed speed.

A body at rest inside a body in motion moves at uniformed speed with the body in motion and so it appears to be at rest because the uniformed speed of the body at rest (inside the body in motion) cancels the speed of the body in motion.

Like when you are in a moving bus, you are a body at rest but the bus is a body in motion.

Inside the bus you are at rest but moves at uniformed speed with the bus so to you, you are seating one place in the bus but as a matter of fact you are in motion due to the effect of the motion of the bus which you are inside, without looking out of the window everything inside the bus appears to be at rest to you even the floor of the bus of which you stand appear to be still while the bus is moving.

The only time you will notice a drastic change to your own perception of your motion is if the bus grounds to a sudden halt.

So the sole reason why the earth appear not to be moving to you is because you are at uniformed speed with it, you are inside it so you are moving with it.. 465.1m/s[size=20]/[/size]465.1m/s you can only notice this speed if the earth grounds to a sudden halt.

It's a joy ride bro, try to enjoy it like i am grin
[/b]

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by finofaya: 12:49am On Sep 06, 2015
Mcdonelldouglas:

The atmosphere moves with the solid mass of the earth. If it didn't you would feel a wind of 1675km/h constantly, as the earth moved you against the air.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 4:25am On Sep 06, 2015
johnydon22:

A body at rest inside a body in motion moves at uniformed speed with the body in motion and so it appears to be at rest because the uniformed speed of the body at rest (inside the body in motion) cancels the speed of the body in motion.

Like when you are in a moving bus, you are a body at rest but the bus is a body in motion.

Inside the bus you are at rest but moves at uniformed speed with the bus so to you, you are seating one place in the bus but as a matter of fact you are in motion due to the effect of the motion of the bus which you are inside, without looking out of the window everything inside the bus appears to be at rest to you even the floor of the bus of which you stand appear to be still while the bus is moving.

The only time you will notice a drastic change to your own perception of your motion is if the bus grounds to a sudden halt.

So the sole reason why the earth appear not to be moving to you is because you are at uniformed speed with it, you are inside it so you are moving with it.. 465.1m/s[size=20]/[/size]465.1m/s you can only notice this speed if the earth grounds to a sudden halt.

[/b]
summary of this is the relative motion.

At op, if the earth doesn't rotate, only a part of the earth would receive sunlight. Hence This sunlight would constantly heat up that part. (since the earth isn't rotating)
and if this continues, the heat would keep spreading, burning the earth until there's nothing left.

1 Like

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Mcdonelldouglas(m): 5:43am On Sep 06, 2015
johnydon22:

[/b]
i know all that. My question is, is a plane that hat has left the solid earth still on the solid spinning earth? I reckon not. How can a plane fly above a spinning earth and find its destination, or does the earth spin around with its atmosphere. This will mean a headwind, cross or constant tail wind on the plane. From experience i know that wind direction changes and does not move in the direction of the so called earths rotation.
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by johnydon22(m): 7:06am On Sep 06, 2015
Mcdonelldouglas:

i know all that. My question is, is a plane that hat has left the solid earth still on the solid spinning earth? I reckon not. How can a plane fly above a spinning earth and find its destination, or does the earth spin around with its atmosphere. This will mean a headwind, cross or constant tail wind on the plane. From experience i know that wind direction changes and does not move in the direction of the so called earths rotation.
[b]The atmosphere still moves along with the earth and the atmosphere and the plane are also being taken on the ride by the earth...

If you were to jump straight up in the air, would the Earth rotate beneath you?

No, because when you left the Earth's surface, you were traveling at the same speed as the surface, so, in essence, the Earth matched your speed through space while you were in the air! The same condition holds true for an airplane as it travels
from Nigeria to America

If we were to ignore the winds, no matter which direction you flew from Nigeria the speed of the aircraft relative to the Earth would be the same. While the
aircraft's speed through space would change, the effect of the Earth's rotation

remains constant, and in effect is "cancelled out" no matter which direction you travel. In other words, the speed of the rotation of the Earth is already imparted to the aircraft, and the Earth matches that speed during the entire flight.

I think your mistake stems from thinking the atmosphere doesn't move with the earth but yes it does because if the atmosphere were to be stationary then the earth's rotation would be against it thereby causing unending strong winds that can make life here unlivable just like saturns winds, quick everyday experimentation is taking your face out of the window of a moving car, you know the effect of the wind moving against the speed of the car
[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 8:51am On Sep 06, 2015
Mcdonelldouglas:

of cos the atmosphere spins with the earth. The atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere all make up this spherical (or geoid) earth.
Now to the emboldened, the answer is yes.
No object in any part of the earth is free - as there is a pulling force on every object towards the earth's core.
A plane in the atmosphere is still being acted upon by this pulling force. The plane might not oblige by falling down. but because the force is still acting on it, the plane moves in the same direction and at the same speed with the core( where it is being pulled to).

This is similar to magnets and irons

if you hold a light iron above a magnet which produces a force that acts on the iron, and you now move the magnet, the iron would not gum the magnet(because youre holding it) but it will try to move in the same direction in which the magnet was moved and with the same speed, at the same time. You would feel the iron trying to move.

I assumed that the plane was probably just hovering in the atmosphere. When the plane then moves on its own, it has a speed relative to the earth.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by herald9: 9:05am On Sep 06, 2015
Geofavor:

of cos the atmosphere spins with the earth. The atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere all make up this spherical (or geoid) earth.
Now to the emboldened, the answer is yes.
No object in any part of the earth is free - as there is a pulling force on every object towards the earth's core.
A plane in the atmosphere is still being acted upon by this pulling force. The plane might not oblige by falling down. but because the force is still acting on it, the plane moves in the same direction and at the same speed with the core( where it is being pulled to).

This is similar to magnets and irons

if you hold a light iron above a magnet which produces a force that acts on the iron, and you now move the magnet, the iron would not gum the magnet(because youre holding it) but it will try to move in the same direction in which the magnet was moved and with the same speed, at the same time. You would fill the iron trying to move.

I assumed that the plane was probably just hovering in the atmosphere. When the plane then moves on its own, it has a speed relative to the earth.

Are you a geologist?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 06, 2015
Mcdonelldouglas:
do you really want an answer to this question, or are you one of those annoying conspiracy theorists?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 2:32pm On Sep 06, 2015
herald9:
Are you a geologist?
aspiring geologist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by herald9: 6:08pm On Sep 06, 2015
Geofavor:
aspiring geologist.
Alryt. Wishing you success. I'm part of the geosphere smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 6:15pm On Sep 06, 2015
herald9:
Alryt. Wishing you success. I'm part of the geosphere smiley
thanks a lot. Are you an undergruate or you already have a bsc?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by herald9: 8:02pm On Sep 06, 2015
Geofavor:
thanks a lot. Are you an undergruate or you already have a bsc?
Under sir.
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 8:16pm On Sep 06, 2015
herald9:

Under sir.
Alright boss. Definitely there's a lot I could learn from you. Sopls stay around. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by herald9: 9:10pm On Sep 06, 2015
Geofavor:

Alright boss. Definitely there's a lot I could learn from you. Sopls stay around. smiley
Lol. There are better people here you can learn from... Their monikers starts with J, P and D.

I'm a learner too. cheesy
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 9:23pm On Sep 06, 2015
herald9:

Lol. There are better people here you can learn from... Their monikers starts with J, P and D.

I'm a learner too. cheesy
J = Johnydon. D = d€j4u? grin
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by dejt4u(m): 6:48am On Sep 07, 2015
Geofavor:

dejt4u is stil a learner oo..you are my boss
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 6:53am On Sep 07, 2015
dejt4u:
dejt4u is stil a learner oo..you are my boss
i hear you. I've seen the way you destroy questions. cool

so you're also in the geosphere?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by dejt4u(m): 6:58am On Sep 07, 2015
Physics
Geofavor:
i hear you. I've seen the way you destroy questions. cool
so you're also in the geosphere?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 7:08am On Sep 07, 2015
dejt4u:
Physics
as in geophysics?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by dejt4u(m): 7:18am On Sep 07, 2015
No.. But i gt more interest in all geo related courses
Geofavor:

as in geophysics?
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 7:33am On Sep 07, 2015
dejt4u:
No.. But i gt more interest in all geo related courses
hmm, okay sir.
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by herald9: 8:24am On Sep 07, 2015
Geofavor:
1/3
cheesy
Re: I Think The Earth Does Not Rotate. by Geofavor(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2015
herald9:
1/3
cheesy
lol

(1) (Reply)

How To Recover Deleted Whatsapp Message / Top 5 Computer Gadgets You Must Have / New Face Of Oshodi - Airport Road Design Project By Lagos State Goverment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.