Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,721 members, 7,837,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes (5700 Views)

10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer / These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by abumeinben(m): 3:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
Gboliwe:
I didn't realise I was outdated in my CV writing until someone, a friend asked me to help him build his CV.

That was last week.

Over time, I have had to work on CVs a lot and realised that most times, we don't get the job, not because we aren't competent enough for the position but our CV "fall our hand" and before you say "jack", the recruiter dumps it for some other ones.

I was under tutelage for some weeks under an amazing very intelligent nairalander. She helped repackage my CV some years ago and ever since, my CV has been opening the doors for me.

Basically, the above were what she omitted and some others too.

I hope this helps someone.

Wanna help?
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by eluquenson(m): 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice info here
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by lovemko(m): 5:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
Tobex4realTobex234:
If you’re going to create this type of resume, make sure it’s awesome. A weak attempt at being different is more damaging than a strong attempt at being mainstream. That is why you either let experts do it for you or you continue using your traditional resume.

I would be creating free ones for the first 3 people only.

Kindly send your present CV preferably in MS-Word format to "tobi@creativitykills.co" with the subject "NAIRALAND RESUME OFFER"

whats the point posting a "free" post here when u knw ur initial motive was to ask for payments? i guess your idea was to drag in as much as possible mail IDs traffic so u could advertise ur self more... most persons seek jobs and ideas just like d op has delighfuly done, but to ask person to pay for your input just because of a screenshot we dont knw were u got frm is utter rubbish...

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Gboliwe: 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
lovemko:

whats the point posting a "free" post here when u knw ur initial motive was to ask for payments? i guess your idea was to drag in as much as possible mail IDs traffic so u could advertise ur self more... most persons seek jobs and ideas just like d op has delighfuly done, but to ask person to pay for your input just because of a screenshot we dont knw were u got frm is utter rubbish...

Seriously? He is asking for money? SmH for Nigerian youths. He could have just said it here.
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 08, 2015
taiwolusol:

buhahahahahahahha cheesy cheesy

i can guess who it is bro grin grin

Awon oniranu gbogbo grin
I didn't mention anyname o bro before you implicate me now. grin grin
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Gboliwe: 6:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
This is an excerpt from a facebook update I just read. It's very helpful.

"...They taught us how to write resumes. It was in that office that I learned how to write a resume that gets jobs. Indeed, that skill has remained with me till today. About two weeks ago, a friend of mine, who had appointment with important people in government called me and requested a favour: What favour? He said that he had seen my resume (firm's resume) somewhere recently and that he would want me to help reorganise his resume to look like mine. As students, we use to write resumes a lot then. During my entire career history, I have been receiving and evaluating resumes of people. So, I have an idea how this works. There are international standards to follow.

Unfortunately, they don't teach Nigerian students how to write resumes. When I see a resume from Nigerians in Nigeria, I get shocked. I still see people try to indicate their genders in their resume, and even their religions. For instance you see a resume submitted by "Cynthia Brimoh" (only as an example), and in it, Cynthia is trying to inform you that she is a female. You see resume submitted by "James Chukwuemeka" (also just an example), and it it James is trying to inform you that his nationality is Nigerian and that his state of origin is Anambra. I always know how hard it is to hire such a person. You see resumes in which people provide as their references names with the following titles: "Alhaji ….", "Pastor ….". I know that unless you are looking for a job in a church, that Pastor is going to ruin your chances of getting a job, and even more so by that Alhaji...."

Did you pick anything?
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 7:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
Gboliwe:

Seriously? He is asking for money? SmH for Nigerian youths. He could have just said it here.

Well done old man.
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by RuuDie(m): 7:31pm On Sep 08, 2015
@ Gboliwe

Fantastic stuff homes... I am using this to make changes to my CV. Thanks a lot!
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by lovemko(m): 7:34pm On Sep 08, 2015
Gboliwe:

yes, he did.
people just looking to always take advantage of every situation...
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 08, 2015
Gboliwe:
This is an excerpt from a facebook update I just read. It's very helpful.

"...They taught us how to write resumes. It was in that office that I learned how to write a resume that gets jobs. Indeed, that skill has remained with me till today. About two weeks ago, a friend of mine, who had appointment with important people in government called me and requested a favour: What favour? He said that he had seen my resume (firm's resume) somewhere recently and that he would want me to help reorganise his resume to look like mine. As students, we use to write resumes a lot then. During my entire career history, I have been receiving and evaluating resumes of people. So, I have an idea how this works. There are international standards to follow.

Unfortunately, they don't teach Nigerian students how to write resumes. When I see a resume from Nigerians in Nigeria, I get shocked. I still see people try to indicate their genders in their resume, and even their religions. For instance you see a resume submitted by "Cynthia Brimoh" (only as an example), and in it, Cynthia is trying to inform you that she is a female. You see resume submitted by "James Chukwuemeka" (also just an example), and it it James is trying to inform you that his nationality is Nigerian and that his state of origin is Anambra. I always know how hard it is to hire such a person. You see resumes in which people provide as their references names with the following titles: "Alhaji ….", "Pastor ….". I know that unless you are looking for a job in a church, that Pastor is going to ruin your chances of getting a job, and even more so by that Alhaji...."

Did you pick anything?
nice one..so what's the right way?
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Gboliwe: 8:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
mauryn87:

Pick the tips/relevant and drop the irrelevant
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by akp202(m): 9:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
how about u help a brother to review his cv?
mauryn87:
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Elegantdiva: 9:17am On Sep 09, 2015
Which comes first.. Your personnal data or your objectives?
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Gboliwe: 11:18am On Sep 09, 2015
Elegantdiva:
Which comes first.. Your personnal data or your objectives?

We are advocating you do away with the Objectives.
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2015
Gboliwe:

Pick the tips/relevant and drop the irrelevant
ok..thanks
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Mintayo(m): 9:51pm On Sep 10, 2015
living2013:
You have good points, but with regard to NO 2, including hobbies might make or mar a CV. Writing CV needs creativity. Though I have written CVs without hobbies for some applicants that earned them interviews, I have also written some that contained hobbies that yielded outstanding results. It all lies in the ability of the applicants to list the hobbies that are relevant to the job position in question. Where some applicants fail is in their inability to identify their relevant hobbies. For instance, I once had a client(applicant) that I helped to rewrite his CV; when he sent the one he wrote by himself, I observed that he did not add hobbies but when I interviewed him, I was able to identify reasonable skills and hobbies that were relevant to the job he applied for and that helped him to secure interviews. I don't advice anybody not to include hobbies but that should be done wisely. In one of my thread, I explained ''4 importance of including hobbies''. I hope that may be helpful

Goodluck.
Can you call "Supervising", and " Reporting" hobbies?
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Gboliwe: 2:06am On Sep 11, 2015
living2013:
You have good points, but with regard to NO 2, including hobbies might make or mar a CV. Writing CV needs creativity. Though I have written CVs without hobbies for some applicants that earned them interviews, I have also written some that contained hobbies that yielded outstanding results. It all lies in the ability of the applicants to list the hobbies that are relevant to the job position in question. Where some applicants fail is in their inability to identify their relevant hobbies. For instance, I once had a client(applicant) that I helped to rewrite his CV; when he sent the one he wrote by himself, I observed that he did not add hobbies but when I interviewed him, I was able to identify reasonable skills and hobbies that were relevant to the job he applied for and that helped him to secure interviews. I don't advice anybody not to include hobbies but that should be done wisely. In one of my thread, I explained ''4 importance of including hobbies''. I hope that may be helpful

Goodluck.

If your hobbies can relate with the job, it's understandable.

One thing I have come to understand in this life is that every single rule has an exception. You can't remain rigid. One must learn to tweek wisely. That's why I also said no one CV should fit all job openings.
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by akp202(m): 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
Gboliwe:
I didn't realise I was outdated in my CV writing until someone, a friend asked me to help him build his CV.

That was last week.

Over time, I have had to work on CVs a lot and realised that most times, we don't get the job, not because we aren't competent enough for the position but our CV "fall our hand" and before you say "jack", the recruiter dumps it for some other ones.

I was under tutelage for some weeks under an amazing very intelligent nairalander. She helped repackage my CV some years ago and ever since, my CV has been opening the doors for me.

Basically, the above were what she omitted and some others too.

I hope this helps someone.
how about u send a sample of d cv to me..... akpofurenyerhovwo@gmail.com
thanks in advance
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by bimbcy(m): 7:19pm On Sep 25, 2015
@ moderator, y is this yet to be on FP? I hereby nominate dis thread 4 fp wink@ moderator, y is this yet to be on FP? I hereby nominate dis thread 4 fp
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Gboliwe: 9:17pm On Sep 25, 2015
akp202:
how about u send a sample of d cv to me..... akpofurenyerhovwo@gmail.com
thanks in advance
This was where I met my teacher. Follow her threads up till when she changed her username to thekrine, I am sure you will do well. Cheers.
https://www.nairaland.com/801869/free-cv-review-students-jobseekers
Re: 10 Things To Quit Putting On Your Resumes by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 26, 2015
Lalasticlala, this educative thread deserves frontpage, don't you think?

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Won't Believe How Much A Company Want To Pay A Graduate With NYSC Cert. / University Of Oxford Nigeria Scholarship; Apply Now, Great Chance For Nigerians / Invitation For Test - Lab Analyst At British American Tobacco BAT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.