Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,354 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK (2469 Views)

Buy Your Clean Cars From Cotonou 07010670649 / Buying Cars From Cotonou: The Myth&truth / Get A Good And Very Clean Cars From Cotonou @ Affordable Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 10:35pm On Sep 08, 2015
I would really like to know why Nigerians generally avoid UK used cars? is it mainly bc of the right hand drive ish or what?

Since last year I have been trying to ship cars to Nigeria but my friends keep discouraging me saying its not worth the stress and its more expensive.

I can get cars here really cheap but my worry is who will do the conversion from right hand to left hand and is it reliable? Does anyone here have any such contact and experience?

My wife is a finance manager with a finance company in UK. Most of their customers are people with bad credit history that couldn't get loan from banks.

Most of these borrowers use their car as collateral and in most cases they default; in which case the loan company will size their cars and sell it off at car auctions.

Presently they have several cars for sale like Ford sprinters, Audis, Mercedes, Nissan Murano, Vauxhall, Skoda etc. I want to buy the ford sprinter for my shop and Audi TT for personal use. The Audi spec is TT, coupe, right hand drive, 1.8 engine etc. I just checked the car auction site the highest bid on the Audi TT is 900 pounds, the auction ends tomorrow.

I am here to seek advise because not long ago i shipped a certain car from the USA which i later regretted. Since then i vowed before i buy any car again i will ask fellow nairalanders.

I need expert advise about conversion of cars in Nigeria from right hand to left hand drive. Has anyone done this before. Does the car drive smoothly like normal factory spec?
All advise/ideas/suggestions welcome.
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by serege(m): 10:51pm On Sep 08, 2015
Theres a reason why people are reluctant to purchase uk cars. It is simply the risk involved in conversion. U can hardly guarantee that ur mechanic will not giv u one story or another when converting the car. It is a huge risk that people are jus not prepared to take especially considering how hard it is to gather money. Das why i feel uk cars dont sell in naija
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by laivwire(m): 6:22am On Sep 09, 2015
First, based on personal obervations, Uk and Switzerland have some of the cleanest yet most expensive cars from Europe. The exchange rates and shipping costs do not help matters either.

The conversion is another ball game altogether. You will be lucky to get a mechanic that can convert recent models flawlessly. Even if that is done, reselling converted naija used cars can deter buyers who will believe there must be something wrong somewhere. Conversion in UK is pocket tearing too.
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 8:24pm On Sep 09, 2015
laivwire:
First, based on personal obervations, Uk and Switzerland have some of the cleanest yet most expensive cars from Europe. The exchange rates and shipping costs do not help matters either.

The conversion is another ball game altogether. You will be lucky to get a mechanic that can convert recent models flawlessly. Even if that is done, reselling converted naija used cars can deter buyers who will believe there must be something wrong somewhere. Conversion in UK is pocket tearing too.

You are very correct.
A mechanic in Lagos nearly convinced me yesterday but I think i am not prepared for undue stress. He told me to buy dash board in UK plus many other things for the vehicle conversion. I don't think I am in the right mental state right now for undue stress.

I have decided to buy power bike instead since there is nothing to convert.
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by USAutoBuy(m): 6:43am On Sep 10, 2015
No matter how wells its done, it simply cannot sell as high as the so called "normal hand"

Selling a car is hard enough these days taking into consideration the stiff competition and low funds in circulation for people to buy cars. Now you wanna add the huge factor of selling a converted automobile undecided

Our people will get away with what they can get a way with. If you even buy all the necessary part, who is to say that your mechanic will not "manage" a part under there and sell the good part you bought? Anything can happen. this is Naija afterall

And don't get into the dreaded possible electrical issues that might arise when not done properly.

You can look into heavy duty trucks. Those can be sold with lesser stress

Regards
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by ClearYourGoods: 6:57am On Sep 10, 2015
USAutoBuy:
No matter how wells its done, it simply cannot sell as high as the so called "normal hand"

Selling a car is hard enough these days taking into consideration the stiff competition and low funds in circulation for people to buy cars. Now you wanna add the huge factor of selling a converted automobile undecided

Our people will get away with what they can get a way with. If you even buy all the necessary part, who is to say that your mechanic will not "manage" a part under there and sell the good part you bought? Anything can happen. this is Naija afterall

And don't get into the dreaded possible electrical issues that might arise when not done properly.

Regards
Good piece of advice.
MGL
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by iykbethany(m): 8:08am On Sep 15, 2015
USAutoBuy:

Regards

Thanks for your candid advise. I was not looking to sell the car, I wanted to do an experiment so i was going to use it personally to see how good the 9ja mechanics are with vehicle conversion.

Guess what, the winning bid for the Audi TT was £700. I should have bought it and even if I resell it in parts still make some profit.
Buying a UK car to resell in Nigeria is a no no, unless the buyer will do the conversion by himself. A friend wants me to buy ML 350 and put in container for him, he will be responsible for clearance and conversion wahala.

Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by tolulinks(m): 6:48pm On Sep 15, 2015
iykbethany:

Thanks for your candid advise. I was not looking to sell the car, I wanted to do an experiment so i was going to use it personally to see how good the 9ja mechanics are with vehicle conversion.

Guess what, the winning bid for the Audi TT was £700. I should have bought it and even if I resell it in parts still make some profit.
Buying a UK car to resell in Nigeria is a no no, unless the buyer will do the conversion by himself. A friend wants me to buy ML 350 and put in container for him, he will be responsible for clearance and conversion wahala.
700 pounds is incredibly cheap. shame about the hand.
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by USAutoBuy(m): 3:53am On Sep 16, 2015
tolulinks:

700 pounds is incredibly cheap. shame about the hand.

If the hand is left, it will have been more expensive. The reason being that only UK drives righty in most of the Europe, if it has been other way round, there would have been markets in France, Germany, Belgium and other. More demand more price to pay.

There no other country with its vicinity that drives on same side making it less demanded.

If it has been left even Nigerians that will be buying it will be high. Just Nigerians. We have Ghana and the rest

There is a reason for the price drop
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 16, 2015
Dear Mr Big
I wonder if your associates know that today you left your wife and child. Your child has been inconsolable since we arrived home. I wonder if your associates know you have been married 11 years yet never provided any child maintanance whilst you were travelling buying second hand crap to sell at rip off prices to your fellow brothers and sisters. I wonder if they know that you refused to give me your mum sisters phone numbers so I could try and build good relations with them . I wonder if they know you currently have 2 names and 2 dates of births. I wonder if they know how you refused to acknowledge us as your family . I wonder if they know the lies you weave about me. The insane behaviour of yourself telling everyone you are a millionaire maybe in rupees but nothing else. I wonder if they know when I challenged your despicable behaviour you threatened me like you called the shots. I wonder if your friends in London know that you have told me that they have overstayed their visas . I wonder if your mother knows that you have recorded every mistake I made and every time there is a disagreement you bring it up. I wonder if they know you are a false christian one whom has business cards in his pocket for African spiritualists is for sure involved in witch craft . I wonder if you have ever been loved as you sure dont know how to give it. I wonder if they know for years I have been defending you when everyone was telling me you were a pig for how you could not even be bothered to see your own flesh and blood. I wonder if they know that rather than buy your daughter a present for her birthday you would host a party for your brother in laws kids ( the man you claim you hate). I wonder if the people you have been peddling lies about me to on the internet realise the truth . Lets face it you are only getting responses from desperate woman who love to put a white woman down. You see they hate us because we take their men we dont take them we just dont treat them like rubbish like they do. I am satisfied that despite all the lies you say against me that I did my best . You forgot who was there for you when you had no job were living in rags and had nothing . I married you then when you had nothing because I believed in you. You have let yourself down . Your daughter will never forget this day the day you left her . May God forgive you. You have abused me for too long your behaviour towards me is that of an abuser may you harvest what you have sown.
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by USAutoBuy(m): 2:40am On Sep 17, 2015
Wifeofarsehole:
Dear Mr Big
I wonder if your associates know that today you left your wife and child. Your child has been inconsolable since we arrived home. I wonder if your associates know you have been married 11 years yet never provided any child maintanance whilst you were travelling buying second hand crap to sell at rip off prices to your fellow brothers and sisters. I wonder if they know that you refused to give me your mum sisters phone numbers so I could try and build good relations with them . I wonder if they know you currently have 2 names and 2 dates of births. I wonder if they know how you refused to acknowledge us as your family . I wonder if they know the lies you weave about me. The insane behaviour of yourself telling everyone you are a millionaire maybe in rupees but nothing else. I wonder if they know when I challenged your despicable behaviour you threatened me like you called the shots. I wonder if your friends in London know that you have told me that they have overstayed their visas . I wonder if your mother knows that you have recorded every mistake I made and every time there is a disagreement you bring it up. I wonder if they know you are a false christian one whom has business cards in his pocket for African spiritualists is for sure involved in witch craft . I wonder if you have ever been loved as you sure dont know how to give it. I wonder if they know for years I have been defending you when everyone was telling me you were a pig for how you could not even be bothered to see your own flesh and blood. I wonder if they know that rather than buy your daughter a present for her birthday you would host a party for your brother in laws kids ( the man you claim you hate). I wonder if the people you have been peddling lies about me to on the internet realise the truth . Lets face it you are only getting responses from desperate woman who love to put a white woman down. You see they hate us because we take their men we dont take them we just dont treat them like rubbish like they do. I am satisfied that despite all the lies you say against me that I did my best . You forgot who was there for you when you had no job were living in rags and had nothing . I married you then when you had nothing because I believed in you. You have let yourself down . Your daughter will never forget this day the day you left her . May God forgive you. You have abused me for too long your behaviour towards me is that of an abuser may you harvest what you have sown.

I pray for the hand of God in this matter. For whatever its worth, the children are worth all the sacrifice in the world. Never mind to go to the end of earth for them cos they may be young and powerless today but someday they will be in control to ask questions. Don't be caught speechless. No child should be abandoned or have a feeling of abandonment. Once again, my prayers for the quickest positive resolution in this matter. God help us all
Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by Lexusgs430: 3:30am On Sep 17, 2015
iykbethany:
I would really like to know why Nigerians generally avoid UK used cars? is it mainly bc of the right hand drive ish or what?

Since last year I have been trying to ship cars to Nigeria but my friends keep discouraging me saying its not worth the stress and its more expensive.

I can get cars here really cheap but my worry is who will do the conversion from right hand to left hand and is it reliable? Does anyone here have any such contact and experience?

My wife is a finance manager with a finance company in UK. Most of their customers are people with bad credit history that couldn't get loan from banks.

Most of these borrowers use their car as collateral and in most cases they default; in which case the loan company will size their cars and sell it off at car auctions.

Presently they have several cars for sale like Ford sprinters, Audis, Mercedes, Nissan Murano, Vauxhall, Skoda etc. I want to buy the ford sprinter for my shop and Audi TT for personal use. The Audi spec is TT, coupe, right hand drive, 1.8 engine etc. I just checked the car auction site the highest bid on the Audi TT is 900 pounds, the auction ends tomorrow.

I am here to seek advise because not long ago i shipped a certain car from the USA which i later regretted. Since then i vowed before i buy any car again i will ask fellow nairalanders.

I need expert advise about conversion of cars in Nigeria from right hand to left hand drive. Has anyone done this before. Does the car drive smoothly like normal factory spec?
All advise/ideas/suggestions welcome.

What's the auction site, incase we need a RHD!!!!

1 Like

Re: Advise Re Buying Cars From The UK by lewis23: 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2015
I would like to recommend you the new ford escape model, which is clearly awesome suv that i ever seen. The Ford Escape better matches for the high riding auto gave the minimal SUV and simple openness highlights from this time forward convey the style and class.

(1) (Reply)

Abuja-Top Grade Newly Registered 2009 Toyota Highlander 4WD (direct from owner) / Super Clean And Sound Registered M-benz AMG V8 G-wagon Selling@ 17m / Sold Sold Sold!!! - 2009 Accord Full Option 4 Cylinder Ikeja (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.