Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,215 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

The Sparrow And The Ant (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Sparrow And The Ant (a Short Story) (1273 Views)

Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) / The Sparrow And The Ant (2) (3) (4)

(1)

The Sparrow And The Ant (a Short Story) by FoxyFlow(m): 11:49pm On Sep 08, 2015
FOR AJUMA PRINCESS OMEREJO

Truly, I wanted to write something since morning. I waited for inspiration but it ran away. It just came back so I would be penning down random thoughts. If it comes out fine, to God be the glory, if it is the other way round, bear with me.

Thursday dawned with the sun kissing the skies. The little sparrows were bouncing around with no worldly care. They had survived another storm so would disturb the magical forest with their tiny voices. The bluejays were gloomy and silent. Their voices had they borrowed the indian girl that wanted to sing for the prince. Now they wish they too could partake in the musical jamboree.

A little ant was working tirelessly, trying its best to get a grain of wheat into its hole when one of the sparrows sighted it. Flying down, it perched on a dry stick whose equally dry branch hung in the air.

"Do you need help?"

The sparrow asked soothingly, its tiny eyes blinking rapidly. Its stomach was already filled with berries they had fed on that morning. A little harmless ant was not in its menu for the day.

"Yes I do."

Came the reply. The sparrow jumped down and helped rolled the grain into the hole for the ant.

"One day I shall repay your kindness."

The tiny ant said. The giant sparrow only laughed before jumping into the air in flight. As it flew, it sang beautifully of how helping others was joyful. The tiny ant sauntered into the little crack in the earth called its home. It had a tale for its kindred. He had escaped being eaten by a sparrow. A story nobody believed.

Days passed and the jungle remained magical. Nobody crossed the path of another and food was in constant supply. A new threat was in town though. A giant, gold web spinning spider. Its web were so strong it trapped creatures in it. From beautiful butterflies to tiny birds. Even sparrows were not spared. They could in no way shake the web from their wings. The more they struggled, the tighter they got entangled. The spider itself would sleep in a hole bored by woodpeckers and would only come out at night to feed off its victim.

The good samaritan of a sparrow who had gone to visit its grandmother in another forest flew back home. He flapped his wings singing songs to himself. So lost was he in his world that he did not know danger lied ahead. Alas! He was caught in the web built by the spider.

From morning he called for help till the sun retired from the sky. Just when he was about to give up, an ant strolled by.

"Dear ant, would you please help me? I need to get untangled from this web because my wife is sick and my children are not home."

The sparrow pleaded with the ant. The ant looked at the sparrow and at once recognized it. It rushed back, down the tree into the little crack in the ground.

"Come and see for yourself. The sparrow I told you about is caught up in the tree and is pleading for my help."

Thus the ant's clan followed him up the tree. The sparrow sighting them was happy. Finally help had come but it was not to be. The ants instead hid and waited for the sun to go down. The spider came out from the hole in the tree and fed off the sparrow amidst its sorrowful cries. Nobody came to its rescue, not the ant neither its clan.

When brightness greeted the day again, the ants had a whole lot of flesh and bones to last them the winter. So was the remains of the sparrow carted off to be fed on till the spider hunted again.

The end...
By
Joey Success

NB

Not every good deed gets repaid with another good. Give your best and expect the worst. You could be a millionaire tomorrow or get run over by a truck. You could be a millionaire tomorrow and get run over by a truck. Such is life.

Happy Birthday Princess Omerejo Ajuma. May your days be plenty as the stars of the sky.
Re: The Sparrow And The Ant (a Short Story) by Obinnau(m): 1:27pm On Sep 10, 2015

(1)

Episode 1: Eke(python) ; Story By Joy Akosa / Bound To Lust / A day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.