Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria (1474 Views)

Fulani Siddika Sanusi Rides On Horse To Her Husband's House In Style / Sanusi's Sons Go For A Horse Riding In Kano (Photo) / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 9:40am On Sep 09, 2015
I know a lot of Nigerians like to think that it is when they think of stuff like Hawan Sallah, or Dubar. But it's alive and well in Mali as well, take a look. Neighbouring countries seem to have horse culture as well, the Songhai, the Fulani of other countries have maintained their equestrian etiquette as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tB-20M-kHk

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by kaura5000: 1:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
Yeah I can see but not in a way that hausa and kanuri people have an equestrian based culture.. especially my hausa people.. you know that because of our culture is majorly centered around horses we have our indigenous breed of horse known as dan arewa... because of our famous horse culture it has become a symbol of hausaland or hausa people to show men on horseback in picture,films etc. The greatest gift a hausa can give a visiting president or head of state is a horse with full regalia.. lastly the horse is to hausa people what the cattle is to the fulani and what the camel is to the taureg

1 Like

Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by tpiah01: 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2015
Fulaman any particular reason for the thread?
Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 8:33am On Sep 10, 2015
tpiah01:

For my sister who posted below me. The Hausa girl who doesn't think Ful6e had an Equestrian culture before coming to Nigeria. Yet it's so prevalent in Mali, Senegal, Guinea etc.
Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by absoluteSuccess: 9:15am On Sep 10, 2015
tpiah01:
A good question from/for tpiah the great, who lead by example since day one. @tpiah, this is a post to (always) remember, like Magma Carter.

2 Likes

Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by tpiah01: 1:48am On Sep 12, 2015
^ stop following me, thanks.
Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 5:30am On Sep 12, 2015
tpiah01:
^ stop following me, thanks.

He's your secret admirer, he has a crush on you.
Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 11:30pm On Oct 17, 2015
kaura5000:
Yeah I can see but not in a way that hausa and kanuri people have an equestrian based culture.. especially my hausa people.. you know that because of our culture is majorly centered around horses we have our indigenous breed of horse known as dan arewa... because of our famous horse culture it has become a symbol of hausaland or hausa people to show men on horseback in picture,films etc. The greatest gift a hausa can give a visiting president or head of state is a horse with full regalia.. lastly the horse is to hausa people what the cattle is to the fulani and what the camel is to the taureg

I like how you said that to be honest. The Horse to the Hausa is what the Cow/Cattle (na'i/nagge) is to the Fulbe. Though I kind of disagree smiley

Here is why. Do you ever sell horse meat (Dan Allah no cheesy), do you move your horses from country to country? Do you use the hide of horse for anything in particular.

in Fulani culture, jawdi ko nagge (cattle is richness) pretty much saying that nagge ko ceede as well (cows are money)
Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 18, 2015
Fulaman198:

I like how you said that to be honest. The Horse to the Hausa is what the Cow/Cattle (na'i/nagge) is to the Fulbe. Though I kind of disagree smiley

Here is why. Do you ever sell horse meat (Dan Allah no cheesy), do you move your horses from country to country? Do you use the hide of horse for anything in particular.

in Fulani culture, jawdi ko nagge (cattle is richness) pretty much saying that nagge ko ceede as well (cows are money)

I think what he means is the majestic horse is the symbol of the Hausa people just as the Cow is the symbol of the Fulbe, I dont think he means that in literal terms the Hausas use the Horse for what the Fulbe do. And btw, hausas have a different lifestyle from the Fulbe, we don't move from place to place like the Fulbe do.Hausas live in settlements. I'm sure you get what I mean.

1 Like

Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Fulaman198(m): 3:43pm On Oct 18, 2015
VoslerGrimsbane:

I think what he means is the majestic horse is the symbol of the Hausa people just as the Cow is the symbol of the Fulbe, I dont think he means that in literal terms the Hausas use the Cow for what the Fulbe do. And btw, hausas have a different lifestyle from the Fulbe, we don't move from place to place like the Fulbe do.Hausas live in settlements. I'm sure you get what I mean.

Absolutely, and I believe that Kaura is a female. I'm just pulling her strings loll and joking around. I have a lot of respect for Hausa people and its regal culture.

1 Like

Re: The Sahel Horse Culture Is Not Only In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2015
Fulaman198:

Absolutely, and I believe that Kaura is a female. I'm just pulling her strings loll and joking around. I have a lot of respect for Hausa people and its regal culture.

Lol! Yeah, I know you do, I read your past posts before commenting.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ownership Of Warri: Itsekiri Slam Ijaw Over Outburst / Do The Igbo And The Yoruba Know They Are Sons Of "Oduduwa"? / Are The Yorubas Real Owners Of Lagos? A Benin Man Speaks (PIC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.