Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,309 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. (41009 Views)

6 Reasons Why People Love Apple Products / Successful People Don't Jog And Sweat On The Streets - Buhari Tells Zuckerberg / Why People Unfriend, Block Or Unfollow You On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 7:59am On Sep 10, 2015
We have read and heard stories of people dying in their sleep from inhaling carbon monoxide. The major source of carbon monoxide in Nigeria is from generators while cars play a second role. I read a story here one day about a couple who died from inhaling CO and their son claimed his parents may have been killed and he called for investigation. Investigations showed they died from the CO gas. How does CO kill people in their sleep? Why is it that people don’t wake up as soon as they start inhaling CO?
Form my personal experience in January, I came back from work very tired (Lagos traffic: Obalende to Ajah not smiling). I fell on my bed and just slept off. In the middle of the night, I just woke up suddenly as usual (I’m not a heavy sleeper) I couldn’t breathe properly, my hands were weak. Immediately I called my fiancée and I thought I was going to die. I managed to crawl to the bathroom, opened the tap on to my face. After that, I grabbed a sachet of water and drank. Surprisingly, I was better and I started to think. I realized I forgot to shut the window at night. My neighbour makes use of his generator till dawn so I have inhaled CO. It was a miracle I survived.
When carbon monoxide (CO) is breathed in it poisons the body by displacing the oxygen levels in the blood and effectively starving vital organs including the heart and brain of oxygen. This will cause loss of consciousness, (THIS IS THE MAJOR REASON MANY PEOPLE DON’T WAKE), suffocation and breathing in a large amount of this gas can have a deadly effect in a matter of minutes. Oxygen is transported around the body via the red blood cells. Specifically, oxygen binds to a substance within the red blood cells called haemoglobin.
Haemoglobin takes up oxygen as blood passes through the lungs, and at the same time carbon dioxide, produced by the body's metabolism, is released from the blood into the exhaled breath. Carbon monoxide, if inhaled, will bind itself to haemoglobin but does so about 240 times more tightly than oxygen, forming a compound called carboxyhaemoglobin. The problem is, the body cannot differentiate O2 from CO. This means that if both carbon monoxide and oxygen are inhaled, carbon monoxide will preferentially bind to haemoglobin. This reduces the amount of haemoglobin available to bind to oxygen, so the body and tissues become starved of oxygen. When unconsciousness sets in, CO poisons the body by shutting down the body systems and the person dies quietly.
However, the poisoning is not always instant. On a daily basis, we are exposed and the body is getting poisoned daily. So if you're living in a neighbourhood where generators never cease to work, always have your windows shut. Do not operate your own set close to the window (very common in Lagos because of security reasons) or indoors. If you're always fatigued, having frequent headaches, vomiting, dizziness etc, visit your doctor. It may be CO poisoning or something else.

281 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Paschal001: 8:00am On Sep 10, 2015
OK. Long gist

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by JBismarck(m): 8:00am On Sep 10, 2015
Lalasticlala mogidi ishilove, this is FP material so informative and educative. We need to join hands together in preventing unnecessary loss of precious lives. I remember Rasheedat Makinde back in 2003, we lost such a pretty and intelligent lady to this same event. RIP to you.

This guy above me though.... undecided undecided undecided wicked man

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by nicerod(m): 8:03am On Sep 10, 2015
I take God beg u summarize am 4 me

4 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 10, 2015
JOHN MCPHERSON CONSTITUTION

OF 1954

8 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 10, 2015
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by okenwa(m): 8:07am On Sep 10, 2015
Good work and insightful
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 8:11am On Sep 10, 2015
Paschal001:
OK. Long gist
If the post isn't long, how would you know it's me? grin cheesy
It may be long but it's not unnecessarily long. That's the summary of what I have in mind.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Emmyk(m): 8:22am On Sep 10, 2015
Lucky you. Forget that you are a light or heavy sleeper cheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by loomer: 8:23am On Sep 10, 2015
Impressive
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 8:29am On Sep 10, 2015
Emmyk:
Lucky you. Forget that you are a light or heavy sleeper cheesy
Yes o. That's why I said it was miracle.

5 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by diehard(m): 8:51am On Sep 10, 2015
Years ago, I had a neighbor who suddenly came upon some money and bought 'I better pass my neighbor' generator and kept it close to my window. When I came back to my apartment in the evening and saw my room filled with smoke, I immediately went outside and Switched off his generator and sneaked back into my room, he came out and put it on back. I waited for him to leave and went out to put it off again. I played that game several times with him. The guy got tired and left the generator switched off for the night. The next day, I told him I was the person doing it and we had an agreement for him to position it close to his window and enjoy the smoke alone. Suffice to say that was the end of the generator.

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 10, 2015
Good post. I've always wondered why as well.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 8:54am On Sep 10, 2015
diehard:
Years ago, I had a neighbor who suddenly came upon some money and bought 'I better pass my neighbor' generator and kept it close to my window. When I came back to my apartment in the evening and saw my room filled with smoke, I immediately went outside and Switched off his generator and sneaked back into my room, he came out and put it on back. I waited for him to leave and went out to put it off again. I played that game several times with him. The guy got tired and left the generator switched off for the night. The next day, I told him I was the person doing it and we had an agreement for him to position it close to his window and enjoy the smoke alone. Suffice to say that was the end of the generator.

Lol. You killed his joy

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by DaVinChiSam(m): 9:00am On Sep 10, 2015
Okay
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Antoinne: 9:14am On Sep 10, 2015
Most Nigerians won't read a five line essay even to save their own lives.

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by BRAV0O(m): 10:52am On Sep 10, 2015
Nice information in fact is not advisable to be putting on generators over night unless the generator store is located around the premises where the CO and the sound is far fetch.

2 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by corisande: 10:59am On Sep 10, 2015
Educative

2 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 10:59am On Sep 10, 2015
BRAV0O:
Nice information in fact is not advisable to be putting on generators over night unless the generator store is located around the premises where the CO and the sound is far fetch.
Exactly.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2015
Let me try to explain..
Generator fumes (smoke) have Carbonmonoxide (CO)
We take Oxygen (O2) and give out carbondioxide (CO2)
The O2 is needed for human life..
O2 binds to our blood and it is being transferred to where it is needed.
CO (gene fumes) binds to blood 200x faster than O2 binding to the blood..

So when CO is present it makes O2 absent and one will die cry

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by NifemiOlu(m): 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
favoured234:
Let me try to explain..
Generator fumes (smoke) have Carbonmonoxide (CO)
We take Oxygen (O2) and give out carbondioxide (CO2)
The O2 is needed for human life..
O2 binds to our blood and it is being transferred to where it is needed.
CO (gene fumes) binds to O2 200x faster than O2 binding to the blood..

So when CO is present it makes O2 absent and one will die cry

Gbam. Apt summary. But the bold fonts is blood which carries O2

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by kingviny: 12:47pm On Sep 10, 2015
I have 2 very clean Zenith Batteries (used but still serving well) and a brand new 2.4kva Inverter for sale. Interested buyer should call asap for you to avail yourself of this opportunity. With brand new batteries, it is 160k. Save 60k and still enjoy inverter power ( no noise, no smoke, no wahala gen).

Avoid killer gen! use inverter in your homes.

Call now, first come, first serve! :- 07081516945 ; 08171783920

1 Like

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 10, 2015
NifemiOlu:

Gbam. Apt summary. But the bold fonts is blood which carries O2
Thanks.. As I wan form primary school teacher..

3 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by ifyalways(f): 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2015
Every landlord should endeavour to include a " generator house ", setback far from the main house.
Very important.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by pretty050(f): 4:03pm On Sep 10, 2015
Thanks op, lost a family friend to this. It's sad cause an healthy and very active person went to bed and never woke up
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by juman(m): 8:09pm On Sep 10, 2015
People are still dying of inhaling CO in 2015. nigeria is not a country but a forest.

In just 16 years more than 20-30 billion dollars have been spent on providing regular electricity, but its in futility.

In this 54 years of nigeria, those useless leaders takes the country for granted because one nigeria is a country that belongs to nobody.

5 Likes

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by Marvel1206: 6:43pm On Feb 23, 2017
JBismarck:
Lalasticlala mynd44 seun, this is FP material so informative and educative. We need to join hands together in preventing unnecessary loss of precious lives. I remember Rasheedat Makinde back in 2003, we lost such a pretty and intelligent lady to this same event. RIP to you.

This guy above me though.... undecided undecided undecided wicked man
Sorry for your loss
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:52pm On Feb 23, 2017
I prefer hearing ds kind of educative news dan hearing dat gifty is on a tour, or one yeye moderator won election in OAU

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by EmmaOgbu(m): 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2017
Bro you for die ooo. Is actually God that saved you. Your time to join ur ancestors have not reached, so prepare for your thanksgiving.
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by gurunlocker: 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2017
I have always thought of this, nice piece man!
Re: Why People Don't Wake Up While Inhaling Generator Fumes. by auntysimbiat(f): 6:53pm On Feb 23, 2017
Cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Cobra That Was Killed In My House This Early Morning / Artificial Intelligence Can Now Steal Your Passwords With 100% Accuracy / Huge Python Killed In A Bakery In Mushin Area In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.