Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad (896 Views)

Get Paid For Reading News Daily / Rich Dad, Poor Dad / Rich Dad Poor Dad Cashflow Game (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad by cnwokike(m): 9:25am On Sep 11, 2015
The book rich dad poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki is very inspiring. Not only that it was written in simple forms and was based on real life stories of the author, it is a small book, very concise and I regret not reading it until recently even though I have known about the book since I was an undergraduate.
I was drawn to read the book because I was looking for answers. Let me digress a bit and tell you a little about myself. I graduated at the age of 21 in 2007 with a second class upper division and by all standards that was a good one. Young, intelligent and energetic I look out to life with optimism. I believe that all things were possible for those believe and are really ready to work. Before I forget, I even got a state Honours award during my service years in Jigawa State in 2009. That should be enough for now.
Fast forward to the present day, I am now 29, working in a bank. Yes I have an annual salary of over NGN 3Million which many will agree with me is not bad. But do you know what, before the next pay day I am damn broke. Really broke. I am not extravagant, neither do I spend ostentatiously. You may wonder where all what I earn goes, family - my siblings school fees, pocket money, parents’ upkeep, rents etc. I believe many people are also in this same loop. I got tired of this rat race and I my quest for answers I decided to give myself some financial education.
Questions like how do I make more money? How can I achieve financial freedom? Can I ever be rich if things continue like this? Is my problem due to the Nigerian economic landscape? – But there are a lot of young people making good money in the same geographical location. The difference then is that they know some things that I don’t know. This led to my quest for financial education.
For ease of reference and for the purpose I intend to achieve, I will itemize the lessons I learnt from reading the book.
1. Your thought pattern helps to shape your life: We are what we constantly think about. Thoughts are like seeds planted into our subconscious mind. And going by the law of nature, you reap whatever you sow therefore, it also true that whatsoever is impressed on your mind will express itself on the physical plane. (Read the Millionaire Mindset by Gerry Robert).
2. Rich people associate with rich people: Life is about class. Even from our primary school days, we should have observed that people with similar characteristics are drawn towards each other. Hence as elementary as it may seem then cliques are formed. So also it is when it comes to the issues of wealth. I believe Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Jim Ovia etc may not have the same root by birth or education. But they are friends now. Why? Because they are all wealthy. In the same vein poor people associate with poor people unconsciously. You should know who you associate with.
3. To be rich you have to learn how to make money: Like being a successful practitioner in any field of human endeavor requires being skillful. Likewise making money entails one having such skill set. Firstly you have learn to use your head. Secondly partnership is crucial. Synergy (The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects) is very important. Also creativity and ideas generation cannot to pushed aside. Patience and perseverance are also very crucial.
4. You need a mentor: just as your cannot become Medical Doctor without going through the Medical school, and learning under consultants and professors. You will need to learn under people who have proved over time that they know what it takes make money, and are currently making money.
5. If you can’t make up your mind decisively, then you will not learn to make money. Opportunities come and go, but being able to make the quick decision is an important skill.
6. You will have to sacrifice some of your hubbies for knowledge. Many young men (me inclusive) may have reduce our appetite for EPL matches and other football matches that virtually take over our weekends and use such time to develop our skills on how to make money.
7. Looks can be deceptive: a nice car or house does not necessarily mean that you are rich. Real wealth is built over time and can stand the test of time. It is not instantaneous.

TO BE CONTINUED...

cc: lalasticlala; seun

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad by megaik: 9:48am On Sep 11, 2015
Wonderful.
The Rat race is the major reasons individuals are poor
Re: Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad by Acme77: 10:12am On Sep 11, 2015
thank you
Re: Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 11, 2015
Skill Acquisition, Innovation and Ideas are the keys.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad by Emasky4real(m): 2:07pm On Sep 11, 2015
Nice one
Re: Lessons I Learnt From Reading The Book Rich Dad Poor Dad by Deo27: 6:48am On Sep 13, 2015
Interesting

(1) (Reply)

Mmm: Can Someone Analyze This Release Date / Partnership Needed To Start Up Farm / Is The Nigerian Stock Exchange Profitable & How To Trade U.S Stocks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.