Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,660 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

What No One Tells You About Teamwork - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What No One Tells You About Teamwork (792 Views)

What No One Tells You About Getting Rich / 5 Reasons Teamwork Is Key To Your Company's Growth / 20 Quotes To Inspire Great Teamwork. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What No One Tells You About Teamwork by StarboyMichael(m): 6:50am On Sep 12, 2015
There’s a little secret that nobody tells you about teamwork. You’ve heard the saying “there’s no I in team” more times than you can probably remember, but have you heard the response that Michael Jordan gave the Chicago Bulls NBA team coach Phil Jackson? “There is in win!”
No, Michael Jordan wasn’t trying to make it seem like he was more important than the rest of his team. Bryan Flanagan explains the thought process behind this in his book
Encouragement for the Sales Professional . He claims that what Jordan was trying to say is, “I am responsible. I am accountable. I will take the last shot with the game on the line. If I miss, I will take the heat in the pressroom from the reporters. I will perform my job to the best of my ability. I will contribute to the success of my team and my teammates.”
“I will perform my job to the best of my ability. I will contribute to the success of my team and my teammates.”
It was his contribution to the team, that self-regulating dedication that Jordan was speaking about. A team cannot be made up of one person. A team is made up of individuals. A team is made up of many different kinds of people who bring different values and goals and ambitions and personalities to the table. A successful team learns to work with one another and a successful team is made up of individuals who have taken responsibility for their own actions and brought their best face forward so that they can, as a whole, make the team better.
The importance of individual leadership in a team cannot be understated. Taking Michael Jordan as an example, as Flanagan did, we can realize it was Jordan’s understanding of “how to lift a team to a higher level of performance” that pushed the Bulls to six World Championship titles. “He set the standard of individual commitment and dedication to success.”
Jordan, like many other successful people, understood “if you put together a series of ’I’s,’ you could put together a series of wins, achievements, and successes.” When everybody is working hard, when everybody is working for the goal of the team and trying to improve themselves and those around them, that is when true success can come in enormous quantities. After all – you’re only as good as your weakest link.
Flanagan pushes us forward and asks us to “embrace that principle today. The goal is to contribute to the betterment of the team by being the best I can be today. I am responsible. I am accountable. I will contribute my best efforts today.” So go out there and do that. Be responsible, accountable, hardworking, dedicated, and all of the words that describe your work ethic and personal values. Be that person that pushes your team to success. You won’t regret it.

Dreamteamentrepreneurs.

1 Like

Re: What No One Tells You About Teamwork by ladyF(f): 6:52am On Sep 12, 2015
Educating....
Re: What No One Tells You About Teamwork by xtreme07(m): 6:54am On Sep 12, 2015
ladyF:
Educating....
SMH!
Re: What No One Tells You About Teamwork by Kelechi2020(m): 6:29pm On Sep 12, 2015
Will this make front page?? An tired of looking at celebrity cleavages

2 Likes

Re: What No One Tells You About Teamwork by StarboyMichael(m): 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
Kelechi2020:
Will this make front page?? An tired of looking at celebrity cleavages
Cc lalasticlala
Re: What No One Tells You About Teamwork by 2derfultony: 11:20pm On Sep 13, 2015
Great

(1) (Reply)

To Unemployed Graduates; What are You doing to Change Your Situation? / Industrial Training (I.T) / 25 Things You Must Know About Facebook Founder, Zuckerberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.