Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) (5322 Views)

Eswift-ng.com Official Thread / Help! eBay.com And Alibaba.com Which One Is Reliable. / Can One Shop On Ebay From Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 3:16pm On Oct 05, 2006
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by omogenikky(f): 7:19pm On Oct 06, 2006
isnt "ebay" trademarked?
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 3:57am On Oct 07, 2006
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by daretayo(m): 2:46pm On Oct 07, 2006
Come up with a better original name my friend
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 3:01pm On Oct 07, 2006
ebay.ng, ebay.info, ebay.anything will be an infringement on trademark. Ebay-ng is totally different.Just as naira.com is distinct from nairaland.com.
Our company solicitors are ok with this.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Seun(m): 8:45am On Oct 09, 2006
In my opinion, ebay-ng would definitely be trademark infringement, since it's an auction site. It's like setting up a software company called "Microsoft Nigeria".
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by layi(m): 11:49am On Oct 09, 2006
Whichever way u look at it. Its an infringement. The fact that u add ng to it sends only 1 message - nigerian arm. I'm aware such infringements are rampant on the net but it wont do ur business any good. You cant build a unique brand with such a domain.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Grouppoint(m): 12:47pm On Oct 09, 2006
I suppose what everyone is saying is that ebay have worked to build their name and image, so it wont be fair for you to take advantage of this without any benefit to ebay, pecuniary or otherwise.

I'm afraid your argument does not hold water, when you compare naira.com to nairaland.
Naira is our legal tender, hence, no one single organisation may lay claim to any use of the term.
Except if the federal govt, for security reasons or otherwise, may decide that no businesses should use any name derived from the word 'naira'

To that end, I would agree with everyone else here that if you use your own trade name, and market your concept creatively, the only way is up.

Dont forget that before ebay, there were a few online eAuction sites.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Seun(m): 2:35pm On Oct 09, 2006
The majority has spoken. Your competitors got a good and unique name: www.whogobuy.com
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by benjibabs(m): 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2006
Did anyone check out the so called "http://www.efton-uk.com/"? . . . such  a nice "site"!?!!?! Little wonder they wanted to leverage on ebay image rather than build their own "wazobi.com". grin
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 11:03pm On Oct 11, 2006
It is quite myopic of the last poster to make silly remarks. Didn't you see the " UNDER MAINTENANCE, PLEASE REVISIT" banner? Stop being a complete prick. Analyse things before commenting.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by hedgesfun(m): 12:28pm On Oct 12, 2006
Well in my own opinion you still about to tell the whole world that Nigeria is still a country to reckon with when it comes to fraud and related issues. Since you are not getting ebay rights, its better to let the name be and take something more unique and more Nigerian. If truly its for Nigerians, I bet Nigerians will accept it and it does not have to be a rights infringement issue. Besides I see it as a sign of accepting failure because there is a saying and its true that IMITATION IS LIMITATION think about this. Take Nairaland for example its Nigerian by name and Nigerians accept it even those of you in diaspora
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by gbengaijot(m): 12:49pm On Oct 12, 2006
Why ebay-ng?, why not some weird nigerian names that will attract attention like www.osomalo.com, www.ojagbagi.com, or www.awoof.com, www.apekanuko.com, e.t.c.

I am sure a uniqueness in name will mean creativity. If you check online, have you heard of www.alibaba.com. Why dont guys who desinged that site call it www,ebay-asia.com.

Be creative man, be creative!
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Delinka(m): 2:46am On Oct 20, 2006
grin You've got to be kidding me! Ha ha ha ha, what a way to start. Maybe I should start producing "Coka Cola-ng" and make a few billion bucks while i'm at it hee hee, aw! my ribs,
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 3:52am On Oct 20, 2006
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Grouppoint(m): 9:07am On Oct 20, 2006
Hence, you are declaring that your main business strategy is to infringe on another company's hard earned intellectual property.
You are also stating that, even though 100% of feedback you recieved from the well meaning contributors to this thread had advised you otherwise, you are without giving a single logical reason, forging right ahead.

Finally, you sound dissappointed that ebay will not come after with 'guns blazing'.
I honestly cannot find words to say anything further concerning your business mind, except to wish you all the best in your endeavour.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by tullaatee(m): 4:24pm On Oct 20, 2006
Haba, an average Nigerians is a genius. We are known to be intelligent so omo no go disgrace man o. I agreed with everyone. Rather than infriging on ebay trademark, create something new for urself. You can even choose one market name in Nigeria such as ojadugbe.com, oyingbomarket.com, go-slow-market.com, cheap-goods-ng.com, or something else.Haba
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Delinka(m): 6:49am On Oct 21, 2006
mingiix: , unlike a lot of blokes that have contributed to this thread, ebay will be wise to the fact that there is no infringement. That will be disappointing.

Hey, come to think of it, maybe it's an attempt at cheap publicity  undecided  in a way it could be a business strategy but if you ask me it's way too dubious a method and will further mar the country's image in the international spotlight that we are already in. Paypal already has strong prejudice against Nigeria in particular and eBay as well.

In the long run the "eBay-ng" guys will most probably have to pay a huge fine and maybe serve a prison sentence but then again some lessons are best learnt the hard way by stubborn minded individuals (especially). But to be honest, one of my greatest concerns is not the fact that they will be punished for it, it's that I as a Nigerian will share in the shame and increased prejudice this will create on the international scene that I and many other well meaning Nigerians like Seun, Oleku and many good Nigerians that Post on this site and other sites have been working hard to clean up  cry

Anyways, I will not wish you the best, I just hope you suffer a quick and silent end without the noise you are probably hoping for and with a huge punishment that you deserve. And also, let me tell a few things about DotNet Nuke which you are obviously using, once the word spreads to the .Net community and the developers there of your illegal use of their hard work there will be no hiding place for you so you might as well not bother really.  wink
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by thedean80: 9:57am On Oct 21, 2006
Now then,if u r so very sure as cocky as u sound that u won't be havin any legal issue with the "original" copyright name holders,then great.however i think your business name and strategy comes to me as a disappointment to the original naija breed.in my opinion,u r making a good job of doing what you said your business was set to propagate against-d dubious ways of naija.the intentions behind the name is as shady as it gets my brother.think of the boomerang scenario;laws change,naijas 4 who it is set 4 will definately b disappointed-nairaland pips already are and your legal advisors might just want to make a few bucks.for all it's worth nigerians are far more creative than that,i like d www.awoof.com suggestion.last thing,your business name can't grow larger than the limitation u r setting a its conception.u cant use that name in countries where ebay is registered;the uk,the usa.i sincerely think u r the myopic one.b creative man!it'l only cost a few xtra bucks 4 marketing. I wonder how big u intend to get.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 4:38pm On Oct 21, 2006
thedean80 ! I have read and assimilated most of the advice and criticisms on this thread. It is important to note that a few of these are outrightly maligned and ill-conceived.
Your last post got me thinking."
you're making a good job of doing what you said your business was set to propagate against-d dubious ways of naija.the intentions behind the name is as shady as it gets my brother.think of the boomerang scenario;laws change,naijas 4 who it is set 4 will definately b disappointed-nairaland pips already are and your legal advisors might just want to make a few bucks
".
Thanks for your contribution.Our team will definitely have a look at this.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by onyek: 9:45pm On Oct 22, 2006
ebay-ng

You guys will definitely get sued as ebay have registered their trade mark the world over. Ebay is a multi- billion dollar company that can hire the best lawyers on this planet. Have you go those sorts of funds at your disposal? I think not

Good Luck

BTW Can't you people come up with a much more original name? Whogobuy.com is a very original name and if they can execute properly will be worth a lot of money. Stop being lazy
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 23, 2006
please, get original
it goes a long way in proving the fact that you're proud of the fact that you're nigerian
it's an identity for nigeria
try registering microsoft-ng.com like someone said or google-ng.com and before you can say jack robinson you're out of money
it's a very good idea, an e-shop for nigerians, but please, check the domain name
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by mingiix: 9:11pm On Oct 23, 2006
A domino effect of criticisms. No one has noticed that the name has changed. Thank you nairalanders!
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Grouppoint(m): 3:53am On Nov 04, 2006
Well done, you finally listened to the voice of reason. I say, Better late than never!!!!

May I ask, why the name 'Mamaput', Personally, it sounds more like a food business.

Can you pls enlighten us?
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by TEEZERO(m): 9:57am On Nov 04, 2006
Yes, MAMA PUT is buka-ish.
You guys should work harder.
Choosing a name for one's business or venture is in itself a considerable task. Which doesn't seem that you have done.
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Nobody: 11:36am On Nov 10, 2006
The Parent company [Efton UK] for the proposed ebay-ng sef, has a dubious sense to it. There is a link that says register. register for what? what do they sell? who are they? no info! what does it cost to put simple "we do this and that" on the homepage? But they are quick to paste telephone numbers on the site. Unless efton is VERY new (as in, created for the purpose of pushing ebay-ng, to garner creditbility), then they ought to have at least a complete webpade for the index.

Sorry man, but i dont believe in your company, or whatever it sells. Just a honest, average smart internet user's prespective.

And if efton is really based in the uk, why doesnt it have a .co.uk TLD?
Re: eBAYNaiJA (www.ebay-ng.com) by Nwekechimex: 10:03am On Feb 23, 2015
Guys pls be wary of this site! http://ebayonline.com.ng
It is fraudulent and big scam.
Only God knows how many people have fallen for the scam. I pray nemesis should catch up with him soon.
Their contact number is 08143262278 managed by one Benike Nig Ltd

(1) (Reply)

Inflation Rate Falls To 9 Percent Today. Did you notice? / Scammers Patricia.com.ng Btc Gift Cards Just Scammed Me / Oat Grain Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.