Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,907 members, 7,821,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Jesus Knows When He Is Coming Back, Stop The Heresis! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Knows When He Is Coming Back, Stop The Heresis! (641 Views)

Father Mbaka Attacks Buhari: 'Disaster Is Coming, Angels Warming Up For You' / Not My Jesus: A List Of Christological Heresis / VIDEO: Christians Should Fight Back, Stop Eating Cow Meat- Pastor Chris Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Knows When He Is Coming Back, Stop The Heresis! by ayo4lahanyahoo: 11:40am On Sep 14, 2015
For a very long time I have pondered on several teachings in our churches saying that even Jesus Christ does not know when he is coming back. This is nothing but total heresis!

Firstly, lets examine our vantage scripture;

Mark 13:32
But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

The critical issue, I think, is this: If Jesus is fully God as well as fully human, then how is it that He can be ignorant of anything, since God is omniscient or all-knowing? One might conclude that Jesus did not know all at the time of His birth, and during His childhood. I find the translation of Luke 2:40 in the New English Treanslation Bible insightful, for it reads:

40 And the child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom, and the favor of God was upon him.

Later on in Luke chapter 2 we read,

Luke 2:46-47
46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Jesus were astonished at his understanding and his answers.

This translation avoids the suggestion that Jesus was not all-knowing. The question you have raised is a bit different: "Are there things that God the Father knows, but of which the Son is ignorant?" I found this answer from the Bible Knowledge Commentary (on Matthew 24:36) less than satisfactory:

"The precise moment of the Lord’s return cannot be calculated by anyone. When the Lord spoke these words, that information was said to be known by only the Father. Christ was obviously speaking from the vantage of His human knowledge (cf. Luke 2:52), not from the standpoint of His divine omniscience."

"This openly expressed limitation on Jesus' knowledge affirms His humanity. In His Incarnation Jesus voluntarily accepted human limitations, including this one (cf. Acts 1:7), in submission to the Father’s will (cf. John 4:34).

If you find this explanation satisfactory, then you need not look further. I find the explanation somewhat less than compelling. It suggests that Jesus is somehow a divided person, with a human side and with a divine side. In the New Testament I see Him as one person, both divine and human. How, then, can we say that Jesus knew the day and hour on his divine side, but not on his human side? Too many times in the New Testament we read of Jesus "knowing" things that only God could know (See John 6:64; Matthew 12:25; Luke 6:8; 11:17).

In what sense, then, does the Son not "know" about the "hour" of the Lord's return? In the Gospel of John, Jesus repeatedly states that He will not act independently of the Father. As in His temptation, Jesus refuses to act independently of the Father. This is a part of His submission to the Father (see, for example, John 8:28; 12:49-50; 14:31). Jesus speaks and acts only as the Father has directed and instructed Him.

I think that it is dangerous to conclude that God knows something that the Son does not, when both are God, and both are omniscient.

Source: http://thextianfate..com.ng/2015/09/stop-heresis-jesus-surely-knows-when.html

(1) (Reply)

Integrity Matters In This Generation / Photo: Stoning the Devil?...monkeys laugh at our folly. / My Experience With Demonic Oppressors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.