Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,688 members, 7,816,800 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone (2428 Views)

How To Add More Fonts To Infinix Devices / Camon Cx Users : How To Change Fonts On Your Smartphone / How To Use Special Writing Style And Fonts On Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by Timmyspy(m): 2:28pm On Sep 15, 2015
WARNING !!! THESE FONTS WOULD BRICK YOUR PHONE

Android is the most popular phone operating system today especially because of the limitless opportunities that it offers. One of such is the ability to change fonts. Android fonts are even more beautiful and so admired. But when one is told of the risks involved in changing a font, many would simply shake the dust off their feet and flee.

The first of such risks is ROOTING your phone. Put simply rooting means unlocking your phone to grant you access as a bona fide administrator with the ability to access and alter internal files. To put this in perspective, imagine living in a one room apartment with a secret door. that leads to a five (5) bedroom apartment. Rooting your android phone grants you access to those bedrooms. But some brands of android like Samsung and Xperia need not be rooted to change its fonts though.

Rooting your phone is a risk because it voids your warranty. And if you inadvertently change, remove or alter a system files you aren't supposed to, your phone would end up as useful as a BRICK. Yeah you read it right. A BRICK!!! See other forums and threads on how to successfully root your phone.

So this isn't for the faint hearted. Now you've overcome your fears and rooted your phone. The first thing to do immediately after you root your phone is to do a nandroid backup of your phone so that in case something goes wrong you can avoid stories that touch. CWM, TWRP and MTKdroid tools can help your do this. As a rule, BEFORE ever attempting to change anything on the internal memory, PLEASE CREATE A COMPLETE BACKUP OF YOUR PHONE -DATA ROM, CONTACTS ETC . Now you want to start customizing it. Let's face it, why go through rooting your phone if you wouldn't tweak it. Now it's time to change it's fonts. Which font would you choose? There are several methods to change your phones fonts.
These include using:
Adb command,
Apps - like Hifonts, ifonts Font installer Etc.
and doing it manually using a root explorer.

Many forums have explained extensively how to use these methods. But many people have complained of bricking their phones by using these methods. Some go as far as recommending font changing Apps that don't brick phones.
It's worth stating that IT'S NOT THE APP THAT BRICKS YOUR PHONE. IT'S THE FONT YOU'RE TRYING TO USE.

So the question is: What types of fonts would brick phone? That question has remained unanswered till date. But no more!!
I'm going to tell you the types of fonts you must avoid. Most android stock fonts comes with Roboto regular, Roboto bold and Roboto italics. Herein lies the key Why some fonts work pretty fine while others send your phone to a bootloop. (I.e. hanging on the phones logo )

The size of the stock fonts are less than 90kb each, and that's the secret. Apart from the STYLE of the font, fonts that are quite BIG (over 100kb would most likely brick your phone. So before applying any font use any regular file manager to check the SIZE & STYLE of the font.
If after following these measures a font still bricks your phone, Just restore the backup your created and your phone would be back to normal. Alternatively Google " Auto Font Unbricker " and follow the instructions. It works like magic

Remember, to every rule there's an exception so don't be over ambitious, be smart and make any changes at YOUR OWN RISKS. I would not be held responsible for any damage to your phone.
For those that have successfully changed their phone's font comment with the name and size of the font you used.

2 Likes

Re: Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by Mustiboy(m): 4:05pm On Sep 15, 2015
thanks guru, just learnt something 2day, gonna keep learning till i almost become mr know all.
Re: Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by hovatek: 4:13pm On Sep 15, 2015
Timmyspy:

Alternatively Google " Auto Font Unbricker " and follow the instructions. It works like magic.

The download link for Auto Font Unbricker is available @ https://www.nairaland.com/2587885/tool-auto-font-unbricker-android

1 Like

Re: Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by Timmyspy(m): 4:28pm On Sep 15, 2015
Thanks for providing the link ^^
Re: Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by Itzneowizy(m): 5:47pm On Sep 15, 2015
yo.. dude stop dis ok?...........i changed the fonts of my ihot note like 4times using ifont installer.........
Re: Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by Timmyspy(m): 7:13pm On Sep 15, 2015
Itzneowizy:
yo.. dude stop dis ok?...........i changed the fonts of my ihot note like 4times using ifont installer.........
stop wetin?
Re: Warning !!! These Fonts Would Brick Your Phone by ignis: 7:41am On Sep 16, 2015
Read.

(1) (Reply)

An App Developed By A Nairalander Makes Headline On Cnet.com / Tecno L9 Plus Full Review (Video) / 6 Charging Mistakes That Damage Your Phone Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.