Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,831 members, 7,820,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State (65795 Views)

New Harvest (sesame Seed And Soya Beans) From Nasarawa State / Cashew Nuts Available From Nasarawa State / Rotimi Williams Is Kereksuk Rice Farm Nasarawa Owner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Yahaya85(m): 4:51am On Sep 16, 2015

Located at Gora in Karu local government area in Nasarawa State, about 40 kilometres from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) along the Abuja-Keffi expressway, the Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm evokes both the curiosity and imagination of passersby and visitors. The reason is not far-fetched as the snake is generally regarded as man’s sworn enemy only meant to be killed at first sight; which makes keeping it as pet or for whatever reason unthinkable to many.

The Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm is the first of its kind in this part of the globe and has got people stopping by the farm to satisfy their curiosity, with the number of visitors increasing meteorically each passing day.

As if to make matters even more perplexing than it is already, the snake farm has an expansive children’s playground fitted with amazing playing equipment and many wonder which kind of parents would take their children to a snake farm to catch some fun, especially when the snake showroom is located only a hundred metres from the playground.

A visit to the farm will, however, dispel every fear and replace it with awe and admiration at how graceful and picturesque the colorful creatures are, especially watching them move majestically in seamless traffic behind their fortified glass cages.

Unlike in the United States or China where a wide variety of snakes is often farmed for the purpose of research and the collection of venom for the creation of antivenom, the Gora snake farm is primarily a tourist attraction, says the farm manager, Kabir Abdulmalik.

Abdulmalik said although the farm previously had over 13 species of snakes, it currently has only three due to the insecurity in Borno State from where they got most of their supplies, especially pythons.

The most common type of python on the farm is the spotted python. This snake has an irregular, blotched pattern. The background colour is cream to yellowish brown with ragged-edge blotches of dark brown that merge to form wavy streaks.

The blotches have ragged edges because the dark colour occurs only in complete scales. In terms of it size, which is one factor that evokes fear in humans, Abdulmalik said it ranges between 5-10 metres long.

He said the spotted python, mostly found around the Sambisa Forest, can adapt to most types of habitats but prefers rocky hillsides and outcrops with crevices and caves. They feed on small mammals, including rats, toads, and insectivorous bats.

One curious feature about it is that it breeds through laying of eggs, unlike most species which give birth to their young ones. It can also lay as many as 15 eggs.

Despite its intimidating size, however, it does not bite but swallows its prey and so cannot be housed in the same cage with a much smaller species called Kasa, which is predominantly found around Nasarawa State because the venomous Kasa would bite it to death.

On the farm, the very aggressive and venomous species, like the cobra and black mamba, are housed together while the non-aggressive and non-poisonous ones are kept together.

In order to ensure a stable diet for the snakes, various species of rats are also reared on the farm and fed to the snakes. Frogs are also sourced from the wild as alternative menu.

Abdulmalik explained that the farm also provides members of the public with services ranging from snake evacuation from homes, offices and business premises to treatment of snake bites.

He noted that most of their supplies came from hunters and were for tourism purposes, but they are occasionally sold to members of the public on demand.

He further stated that snake farming for tourist attraction was the first step towards the opening of a comprehensive zoo with more species of reptiles and other animals, adding that the farm also has a collection of various types of ostriches and peacocks new to this part of the world.
The snake farm, a subsidiary which has stolen the limelight from Tukur & Tukur Farms Ltd, is only a recreational aspect of the agricultural conglomerate which is into farming of Chinese vegetables, fish farming, general crop production and tractor hiring.

Seated on a 20-hectare piece of land, the farm reportedly owned by the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Tukur Buratai, has over 50 staffers in its employ. It has branches in Kaduna and other northern states.

http://www.leadership.ng/news/461349/a-peep-into-buratais-snakes-farm

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by fromnigeria(m): 4:53am On Sep 16, 2015
Nei

Snake farm

late comer FTC sha
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by likila: 4:53am On Sep 16, 2015
please his name is buratashi.
correct your headline.
tank you

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by likila: 4:55am On Sep 16, 2015
where did this man get money to buy 4000 acres of land for this tukur and tukur farms?

34 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by phransix147(m): 5:32am On Sep 16, 2015
No pictures?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Gombs(m): 5:41am On Sep 16, 2015
Ha... I remembered one tough mean fellow. He was described so to Boko Haram folks and their sympathisers... He was sooooooooooo good that the philistines hated him.

His name is Ihejirika. He ain't got time to mess around, he mowed them down, and it looked easy, just like a stroll in the garden.

Guess which folks cried genocide? Yeah.. The same folks Rejecting the confab recommendations... The same folks who are clamouring for amnesty for Boko Haram.

Now, this one has decided to be a snake charmer? grin

96 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:43am On Sep 16, 2015
I fear snakes more than lions.

6 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Agbalanze(m): 5:45am On Sep 16, 2015
Was expecting to see snakes undecided

6 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Nobody: 5:51am On Sep 16, 2015
No pinshure undecided

If shakau turn snake. The COAS will catch him and put in he's farm

3 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by mysteriousman(m): 5:56am On Sep 16, 2015
Hmm.. I no fit try farm that animal o
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by GabrielSuswam(m): 5:57am On Sep 16, 2015
Gombs:
Ha... I remembered one tough mean fellow. He was so to the Boko Haram folks... He was sooooooooooo good that the philistines hated him.

His name is Ihejirika. He ain't got time to mess around, he moved them down, just like a stroll in the garden.

Guess which folks cried genocide? Yeah.. The same folks Rejecting the confab recommendations... The same folks who are clamouring for amnesty for Boko Haram.

Now, this one has decided to be a snake charmer? grin

Wrong Thread Bro...

Thanks

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Gombs(m): 6:22am On Sep 16, 2015
GabrielSuswam:

Wrong Thread Bro...

Thanks

Move me bro... Thanks

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by driand(m): 6:24am On Sep 16, 2015
Awesome!
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by azimibraun: 6:33am On Sep 16, 2015
How can you explain to folks that after God, snakes are what you fear most and it will not be blasphemous? Because I am very sure I can jump into the hands of the Devil for help when I see a snake close to me. They are sleek, cold and deadly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by U235weapongrade: 6:38am On Sep 16, 2015
The COAS has no other option Dan to end the insurgency in the NE, so that he can have more species on Display...

4 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by kestolove95(m): 7:15am On Sep 16, 2015
For him to keep dat devilish tin call snake for years..I beliv he can wipe boko haram within 3months

5 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 16, 2015
phransix147:
No pictures?
Iyaz
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 16, 2015
Pictures speak more than a thousand words! ! angry

2 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by MrMcJay(m): 7:25am On Sep 16, 2015
Buratai has done more for his snakes than Jonathan did for the people of Otueke.

18 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by ignis: 7:30am On Sep 16, 2015
Pics or?
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 16, 2015
The world is running out of antivenom, this could be a future hit.

4 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 16, 2015
i refuse to comment
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by frankyychiji(f): 10:19am On Sep 16, 2015
MrMcJay:
Buratai has done more for his snakes than Jonathan did for the people of Otueke.
Where did he get the money to buy so many acres of land for this investment?

4 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by HireKiller(m): 10:37am On Sep 16, 2015
Tourist attraction huh

Humans never learn. By the time some of the deadly snakes excape, that place go turn into Jurassic park Part 5.

6 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by RockMaxi: 10:39am On Sep 16, 2015
@OP, I am seriously against you showing us the pictures of those snakes. This is a social forum and anybody interested in snakes and their habitats should visit the place mentioned and if that will be too much, there are enough snakes thread on nairaland frontpage. grin cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 16, 2015
Great....... grin
Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by Trailblazer1(m): 10:40am On Sep 16, 2015
mr snake man cool shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by tunde1200(m): 10:47am On Sep 16, 2015
I JUST LIKE SNAKES

2 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by OZAOEKPE(f): 10:49am On Sep 16, 2015
"lalasticlala is in love with snakes". Quote me anywhere.

6 Likes

Re: Buratai’s Tukur & Tukur Snakes Farm, Nasarawa State by ifekemmie(f): 11:30am On Sep 16, 2015
Come dey charm snake for lagos

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Dry Season Watermelon Farm Getting Ready For Harvesting / Lab Grown Chickens For Sale In The US / The Big Python I Caught In My Farm This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.