Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? (2511 Views)

Anthony Joshua British Heavyweight Boxing Champion: Profile & Pics / Profile Of Sunday Oliseh (New Super Eagles Coach) / Olympic Goof Up! Very Funny. . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Jarus(m): 12:50pm On Apr 11, 2009
I'm reading this on Wikipedia now:
Early years

Born in Lagos, Martins joined the local football club F.C. Ebedei at the age of 14, having been scouted by manager Churchill Oliseh while playing on the streets of his hometown.Martins is an alumni of the Obafemi Awolowo University named after his maternal grandfather. After a year with the club, Italian Serie C side A.C. Reggiana made a move for the player. After a two-month trial, Martins and fellow Ebedei teammate Stephen Makinwa signed youth contracts with the club in 2000. His first season in Italy saw Martins break into the first team squad, and later in the year Serie A sides Perugia and Inter made offers for the forward.[3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obafemi_Martins

The bolded part refers.
There are two things here that I think are not correct.
1, That martins is an alumnus of OAU.
2, That Obafemi Awolowo was his maternal grandfather.

First, I have read Martins profile time and again and I have never come across his gaining admission to OAU, not to talk of finishing. I'm 95% sure this can't be true, because I know OAU would have been celebrating him with Soji Fasuba, Olumide Oyedeji and a couple of OAU alumni that are making/made waves in sports.
Second, I'm 100% sure of this. Chief Obafemi Awolowo, whom OAU was named after, cannot be the father of Martins' mother, the Alhaja that died recently. We all know Awo's children(late Segun, Oluwole, Tola, Tokunbo, Ayo). And the final straw: Obafemi is even his first, not family name.

So before I go ahead and delete that sentence from Wikipedia via edit function, anyone know if I'm teh one that is wrong?
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by yousouph(m): 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
Its definitely a goof cos i never hear or read from inception of Martins popularity relating 2 Awo or Alumni of OAU
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by dayokanu(m): 5:34pm On Apr 11, 2009
Wiki can be updated by anybody. I can go there and write Martins finished his PhD from Harvard. and it would be there for people to read.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by A40(m): 8:19pm On Apr 11, 2009
dayokanu:

Wiki can be updated by anybody. I can go there and write Martins finished his PhD from Harvard. and it would be there for people to read.
Yup its totally editable!! that's why most schools would usually not accept references from Wiki
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Apr 12, 2009
A-40:

Yup its totally editable!! that's why most schools would usually not accept references from Wiki

Except Naija schools.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by allboyz(m): 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2009
BlueDiva:

Except Naija schools.
word! grin grin grin grin

A-40:

My GF mentioned this . . but i never believed . , DK . .good contribution
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Jarus(m): 5:21pm On Apr 13, 2009
BlueDiva:

Except Naija schools.
wetin concern Naija schools with source anyway. Whether wiki or google or akarakoro.com, nobody cares grin

1 Like

Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Pataki: 6:06pm On Apr 13, 2009
BlueDiva:

Except Naija schools.
You are wicked!

Name names please.

@ topic,
Wiki goofed big time. You can go ahead and make the necessary corrections.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by bawomolo(m): 6:45pm On Apr 13, 2009
ha ha una don come. don't disrespect the elite institutions of nigeria. didn't they break top 1000 grin
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by carloshome(m): 8:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
SO MARTINS IS THIS POPULAR.

HMMMMM LET THEM PRAY FOR HIS SO THAT HIS CAREER WILL BE REVIVED NOW THAT SHEARER IS IN CHARGE
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by MrCrackles(m): 8:08pm On Apr 13, 2009
Goof hoof poof! grin
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by spikedcylinder: 10:07am On Apr 14, 2009
If anyone can edit on wiki then its absolutely unreliable. To think I take its entries seriously. . . . undecided
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Pepeye(f): 10:49am On Apr 14, 2009
Pack of lies. . never did take them serious
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by OOLUSEG(m): 11:43am On Apr 14, 2009
@poster
it seems ur informtion re totally incorrect. I ve checked the wiki page of obafemi Martins and i found noting related to what u posted.
Pls always confirm ur source b4 posting
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Jarus(m): 1:00pm On Apr 14, 2009
OOLUSEG:

@poster
it seems ur informtion re totally incorrect. I ve checked the wiki page of obafemi Martins and i found noting related to what u posted.
It was just edited, obviously because of this thread. It was still there at least by yesterday morning when I checked last. I attempted editing it, deleting that sentence, but I wasn't registered, which was a prerequisite for editing entries, and I didn't ahve time to fill any form in registration details.
My quote up there was directly copied from the page. Probably somebody reading thsi has done the editing.

The last editing was done this morning,8.25 am, by one 'astonishingdee'
(cur) (prev) 08:25, 14 April 2009 Astonishingdee (talk | contribs) (16,942 bytes) (→Early years) (undo)

Check edit history here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Obafemi_Martins&action=history
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by alex406(m): 3:22pm On Apr 14, 2009
whats all these beefing about,must you crucify yourself if Martins is not what he is said to be.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Jarus(m): 5:22pm On Apr 14, 2009
alex406:

whats all these beefing about,must you crucify yourself if Martins is not what he is said to be.
Who is beefing who here? We are trying to correct a misinformation
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by FOD(m): 6:24pm On Apr 14, 2009
OOLUSEG:

@poster

I edited it.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by bawomolo(m): 6:53pm On Apr 14, 2009
wikipedia isn't absolutely unreliable. the Sensitive topics like evolution, Islam etc require edits done by approved posters and not just not any tom dick and harry.

It's the personal biographies and obscure topics that can't really be trusted.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by deb(m): 10:12pm On Apr 14, 2009
wetin concern Naija schools with source anyway. Whether wiki or google or akarakoro.com, nobody cares
Na only Wiki? grin na Chiki grin grin
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by azeezbaba(m): 9:55am On Apr 15, 2009
Wiki my ass.

I used to rely on wikipedia but henceforth, i will stop sourcing info from there if every tom dick and harry can edit info there.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by Jarus(m): 11:44am On Apr 15, 2009
azeezbaba:

Wiki my ass.

I used to rely on wikipedia but henceforth, i will stop sourcing information from there if every tom privates and harry can edit information there.
I don't think you need to stop sourcing info there. I'm sure at laest 95% of teh info there are correct.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by SamMilla1(m): 3:44pm On Apr 15, 2009
Some funny clown probably added that rubish there.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by kioooo: 9:51am On Apr 16, 2009
I'm logging in now to wiki to add that he's a graduate of MIT with a distinction in Software Engineering.
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by bababuff(m): 1:41pm On Apr 16, 2009
@poster

Good job for bringing this up, and getting it corrected. More research. grin grin grin
Re: Martins' Profile: Did Wiki Goof Or What? by cliveland: 11:49pm On Apr 18, 2009
its was an error, i am family friend n know them very personally i mean martins family, NO connetion/relation at all, errorrrrrrrrr.

(1) (Reply)

See The $1m Emerald Belt For The Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Pacquiao Boxing / Juventus Keen On Mario Gotze / Match Report: Nigeria 4 Vs Ethiopia 0, Ike Uche, Peter Utaka Score Brace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.