Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,057 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:36 AM

How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's (20573 Views)

On-air Personality / Radio DJ Job Available -- Http://nga-radio.com / Who's The Best Radio Dj In Lagos / Best Radio DJ In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 12:58pm On Apr 11, 2009
hello guys, i wish to share a bit of information on the methods i’ve used to promote music without radio.

Firstly, please, I beg you, make a good song. Whatever the genre is. It should be good. Else you’ll sweat for nothing. Be professional about your work.
If you cant write, get someone who can to write for you. If you cant produce, get a good producer. No mater how, make great music.

NOW TO PROMOTING YOUR SONG.

Some songs are popular on radio, with no street appeal. Others are popular on the streets with no radio appeal. Some artists achieve both for there songs.

I will focus on making it popular on the streets.
if u have street jams, then u can push it using these methods.

MAKE AND DISTRIBUTE YOUR OWN MIX CD:

Meet a dj and make a mix cd with your song or songs at the beginning, middle and end. Make sure the cd is hot, with all the popular jams on it. Let the dj play the instrumental and mix the accapella on a popular instrumental.
Make the song noticeable on the cd, but don’t over do it.

When u have you custom mix, these are the places to distribute.

Share your city into areas. Locate the joints and restaurants in each area. Do not discriminate. Even very local ones can help.
Give dem the mix cd to play in their joint. They’ll even thank you.

Do this gradually if you don’t have the cash or time to distribute it all at once.
Also target motor parks and commercial bus drivers,
Cybercafés are also good. Just think of place where people gather and spend time.

The impact is this. Someone goes to one joint, hears the song, he goes the next, the same song. In his mind, that song must be in. once people start asking questions about it. Then the move is successful

love-vendor YOUR PHONE DISTRIBUTION.

Meet those guys that transfer stuff to phones, give them your cd. I don’t think they’ll charge you. If you can get them to give out your song to their customers free as bonus for purchase, then that’s great. People are not likely to pay for a song they don’t know. So push for that.
When people are able to have it for themselves, they’ll listen over and over again and give it to friends.

GET YOUR TRACK INTO AN ALABA MIX.

The most effective none mass media way to push your song are those mix cd’s. You wont believe the reach they have.

A lot of people will tell you they can do it for you for a fee. Most cant! They just want money.
No matter who, you should be ready to pay some money. It’s a better investment than paying radio dj’s who will play it twice and ask for more money.

Ask someone who has done it how they did and who they went thru.
If you do this, before you know someone will be playing your song in sokoto.

Its an extremely effective form of promo.

I hope i said something you don’t already know. I will add more soon.

When you set out to promote your music, don't try to cover too much ground at once.
You will be overwhelmed. Take it step by step. I will post more ideas on this soon

Altimately, radio, gives you great push and endorsement. if you have the budget for it. spend. but spend wisely.

GOT IDEAS? PLEASE SHARE.

i will write one on how to brand yourself as an artiste soon.

Good luck.

5 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by tosinaded(m): 3:03pm On Apr 11, 2009
good post u av there

in addition get your songs on forums like nairaland!!!!!
believe me it works wonders, an eample is banky w, he was a nobody in naija until sum1 from no where posted ebuttemeta on nairaland!!! and the rest is history!!!!
he is a star now!!!!

see for urself
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-62895.0.html

2 Likes

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by shope(m): 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2009
`gud job man
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 3:50pm On Apr 11, 2009
@tosinaded.

cool. i didnt add the internet, cuz dats a wide topic. i am still gathering info. the people on the streets hardly go online. so for this one, the focus is the streets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by ElRazur: 4:11pm On Apr 11, 2009
You are getting it all wrong in my opinion. Your idea is good, but it really shouldn't be the thing to do without first having some things in place. My points are as follows:

1.  So you think you are talented? Well there is a "thinking" and "Knowing" that one have a talent. Even if your close friends tells you that you are I will take it with a pinch of salt. Because in my book, that is not far enough. You need to get yourself out there first and let majority of people tell you that. This can be achieved by attending "Talent events" "Rap battles" or "Singing contest".

Even if you do not win, it will help to put things into perspective for you and in a way, it is a learning experience as it shows that not all battles will be won in life. Period - Forget what your Pastor or Imam says.

2  If after all of this you still have the desire to continue, you then need to take a look at your genre of music and learn from it. See how people have made mistake in the past and how people have made plans that have helped changed and influenced the genre for good.

For example: Look at people like Tupac and Biggie. Jay Z, Eminem, etc. Ask if you can learn from this people - mind you not, their style of rapping but, how they have influence hiphop. Since most people reading this will be in Nigeria, it is worth looking at your local artists and how they have influenced the game.

3  The focus now, in my opinion should be your style of rapping. It is a good thing to be able to rap/sing or dance. However you need something that will define you. Don King had the Groovy Afro, Michael Jackson had the dance and white gloves, Tupac had the conscience lyrics and thuggery, Biggie had the lips flow and play the image of a love-vendor player.

What will your style be? You need to stand out. Don't forget that you are going to a genre that is over crowded as a result of everyone who **think** they can rap. Or have the backing of some paid DJ to spin their records. So my friend, you really need to find your own style. Something that mnakes you stand out and something that the people will like and identify ad "your thing"

4  For me this bit, may be the most important that any potential artist need to consider. FAN BASE! It is very important to build a fan base. Imagine them as the people who will be buying the product you are selling. They are the one who will ultimately drive and demand your product.

To get a fan base, it is important to attended many events as possible as you can. Even where possible, rap for free and give out your demo.

Have a website show casing your work - i.e songs you have made etc. I think for this part, it may be challenging for the average people who do not have 24/7 internet access in Naija. Hence social sites like Facebook, Myspace, bebo etc will come in handy.

You can use above site free of charge to load your work and connect with like minded people.

This is the part where I will consider what the original poster mentioned about getting your demo out there.

Good luck.

It should be noted that this was written on the fly, it is how I will consider doing things If I am "trying to break in" as an upcoming artist in naija. There may be other ways and I respect that. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by ElRazur: 4:18pm On Apr 11, 2009
dasa:

@tosinaded.

cool. i didnt add the internet, cuz dats a wide topic. i am still gathering information. the people on the streets hardly go online. so for this one, the focus is the streets.

That is an ignorant thing to say. While the art of hiphop is "performed on the street" the cook works take place using computer related technologies - including internet.

You will consider yourself to be someone from the street isn't? And here you are using the internet. To over look this will be losing valuable info and possible fans.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 4:43pm On Apr 11, 2009
@elrazur.

i didnt say one should not go online. i only said it is a wide topic. and i will address it. one thing at a time. i read your post.
its theory. i am talking practicals, direct result. i like the part of getting into contests,
the rest does not directly make ur song known.

the internet is important. dont get me wrong.
many popular nigerian artists dont have websites.
even if they do, how many times have u visited.

u cant use yankee ideas straight and expect it to work here. u have to customize.

i helped make the popularity plan for cure my craze by frank d'nero. i am sure u know the song. there was no cash for a video at the time so we had to think.

i am pushing a few songs now.

i will adress the web issue later when i talk about branding yourself.

i am trying to give people on a slim budget ideas that will work immediately. i believe in street knowledge.

i wish we cud both hav a competeion. two brand new tracks. first to make his own popular. then u'll see what i am talking about.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 4:47pm On Apr 11, 2009
@elrazur, by the way, your focus is hiphop only. i am talking about music that nigerians really buy. apart from a few new hiphop acts, hiphop in naija was dead, (in sales.) people will rather copy than buy. show promoter hardly call rappers for shows, cuz the crowd they move do not attend shows.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by ElRazur: 5:03pm On Apr 11, 2009
You know to dismiss people's view as theory is not a good approach if you are trying to have a wining formula. If I wanna be critical, I can call easily say your views are lame and a weak theory too. but hey that won't get us anywhere. smiley

Can you please explain to me as which points will not make "your song directly known". While you have asked for people's contribution, you seem to be quick to the very contribution of people you have asked for.

My ideas are things I thought of right from the top of my head and written as I thought of them, hence the explanation at the end. They are mine ideas and as such no American as you think. I only gave reference to well known hiphop artist to illustrate my point.

While you are correct that it is about hiphop. It is an idea that can be used across the field if necessary. After all, hiphop influences a lot of music style lately in Nigeria. smiley

Glad you shot a video and had result. That is what business is about - thinking and implementing good ideas, and taking calculative risk. smiley

You appear to be really engross in making something popular, but without actually doing your home work. If you get a track played on a radio station, how is that meant to pay your bills, or how do you get paid? It is a common mistakes for people to want to become popular without even knowing the fundamentals. I will suggest you look up things like "getting signed by a popular label or going private".

I am not saying your ideas are bad, however you appear to want to "run before you can even walk". The track/song may be popular, but the artist will fade away over time.

I think it is good we exchange ideas, people can read and make their own mind up.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by ElRazur: 5:05pm On Apr 11, 2009
Naija is currently going through a phase, where there are so many artist and 90% of them **think** they have talent when in actual fact, they dont. We need to change that and let people know what the rules are.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
bro, i didnt mean to dismiss dem. i just reacted to your post.

i started this thread in response to one posted here about dj's taking bribe.

and about the lack of talent, i agree. but dont write off anyone. the market will suprise u.
u cant fully understand demand.

a very bad singer can pick a good topic and get a good beat and he'll be hot.

popularity brings demand. demands brings shows. shows bring money.

i know guys who organize there own shows and collect gate fee since there songs are a bit popular. u wont know they organized it themselves.

anyway. there are different wat to go about it.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by ElRazur: 5:46pm On Apr 11, 2009
dasa:

bro, i didnt mean to dismiss dem. i just reacted to your post.

i started this thread in response to one posted here about dj's taking bribe.

and about the lack of talent, i agree. but dont write off anyone. the market will suprise u.
u cant fully understand demand.

a very bad singer can pick a good topic and get a good beat and he'll be hot.

popularity brings demand. demands brings shows. shows bring money.

i know guys who organize there own shows and collect gate fee since there songs are a bit popular. u wont know they organized it themselves.

anyway. there are different wat to go about it.

We are exchanging ideas and nothing wrong with that. smiley

I see your logic and am not disputing them. I am merely suggesting certain things have to be done. You need to have something about you for me as a fan to come out and watch you. As you know, consumer are getting more and more selective in how they part with their money. A single song that I have seen the video and listened to the audio wont make me go and watch an Artist.

However, it the same artist can keep me listening to him/her by coming out with Good tracks consistently, then I will consider going to watch him if he is doing a show. Nigeria music scene is at the stage US was in the 70 and 80s when people are just coming out with one hit and fading off. Consumers will over time, need something more than just a couple of albums and a few hits.

It is well known that people love a good back track, even though the vocal are lame. I can give you loads of example. A classic one will be "Mo o sha ko mo" by Remedies [now seperated]. While the beat and chorus are catchy, the overall content of the song is garbage. smiley in my opinion. So also are a few I see everynow and then from Naija.

I need to you ask you this. What do you feel about singers/artist using "Auto tune" [T-pain effect] to sing a whole track/verse or chorus?
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 6:52pm On Apr 11, 2009
my broda, u are shifting from the topic.

The topic is of the thread is
How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's

the focus is getting your stuff heard. not being a successful musician.
its just getting it heard. let the quality make u successful.
my focus is on publicity that an artist can do themselves without the media.

do you have bright ideas that can help artistes cheaply but effectively get people playing there songs?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by ElRazur: 7:22pm On Apr 11, 2009
There you go getting dismissive again. Awesome. So you do not see a link between getting stuff heard and being successful?

Sorry I asked something totally unrelated to music.Anyway, in other to avoid bickering, can I just say Good luck. smiley
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by shawlxAk(m): 11:08pm On Apr 11, 2009
@ Poster: You are right on point man! Absolutely! wink
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by Igwe9(m): 10:14pm On Apr 13, 2009
My advice for upcoming artistes is to try do a collabo with a popular artiste.
I bet you the name alone is enough to draw attention to your music. If the song is cool, your next release needs no help as regards to radio/T.V promo.
I wish you all (young artistes) good luck

Igwe
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by obinodmx: 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2009
dasa, please can you PM me with your e-mail address or phone number. Thanks
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by dasa: 1:12pm On Apr 17, 2009
@obinodmx, i cant seem to find a button for private message. Or has it been disable. Ok. Go to youtube.com/squareballtv use the contact options there to send me a mail so i can reply.
Cheers.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by Utali(m): 7:25pm On Apr 17, 2009
Dasa, you are good!
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by doubledice: 12:24pm On Jul 23, 2009
dasa:

@obinodmx, i cant seem to find a button for private message. Or has it been disable. Ok. Go to youtube.com/squareballtv use the contact options there to send me a mail so i can reply.
Cheers.

@ Dasa: I checked that squareball stuff and nutin came up. I have this artiste who's signed to my label. Promo is available and we are actually doing all these stuffs u listed bt an extra effort won't kill us, u know so if I can get your number, I wudn't mind but meanwhile you could listen to his songs on www.myspace.com/doubledicent or www.doubledicentertainment.com or you could send me an email to doubledicent at yahoo.com
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by MAPtheMC: 11:50am On Nov 10, 2009
Check this dude! out his flow is remarkable style differs from many
A great emcee raps so creatively check him out!
http://www.myspace.com/lyricaldroppa
Follow Him On twitter twitter.com/theycallmemap
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by yankite(m): 1:29pm On Dec 20, 2010
@DASA I FEEL UR IDEAS BRO,I ALSO FELT THE OTHER GUYS WHO TALK ABT REALLY
CHECKING YOURSELF IF YOU TRUELY GOT TALENT,BUT I THINK LIKE YOU SAID DOES
IDEAS WILL WORK FASTER WITH AN ARTISTE WHO HAS MORE OF STREET APPEAL THAN
RADIO APPEAL,CONSIDERING THOSE STREET PROMO SPOTS U MENTION LIKE BARS,BARBER
SHOP,INTERNET CAFE ETC ITS LIKELY FOR UR LISTENERS TO GET HOOKED ON THE SONGS
QUICKER THAN THEY WOULD LISTENING OVER THE RADIO,BUT ON THE LONG RUN MY BRO
DON'T SAY AM TRYNA DEVIATE FROM TOPIC,BUT IT STILL ALL BOILS DOWN TO THE FACT
THAT "PERSON HEAD WEY GO MAKE AM GO MAKE AM,AND PERSON WEY NO GO MAKE AM
NO GO MAKE AM" WHILE SOME ARTISTE GO COUGH FOR SONG SELL MULTI PLATINIUM
SOME GO WRITE SONG WITH SLEEPNESS NIGHT FOR STUDIO AND GET ENOUGH CLAPPS
"THE GUY GOOD SHA,BUT MAKE I GO BUY COUGH MAN ALBUM", MAKE GOD HELP MAN.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by BusHouse(m): 4:53pm On May 30, 2012
dasa: @elrazur.

i didnt say one should not go online. i only said it is a wide topic. and i will address it. one thing at a time. i read your post.
its theory. i am talking practicals, direct result. i like the part of getting into contests,
the rest does not directly make ur song known.

the internet is important. dont get me wrong.
many popular nigerian artists dont have websites.
even if they do, how many times have u visited.

u cant use yankee ideas straight and expect it to work here. u have to customize.

i helped make the popularity plan for cure my craze by frank d'nero. i am sure u know the song. there was no cash for a video at the time so we had to think.

i am pushing a few songs now.

i will adress the web issue later when i talk about branding yourself.

i am trying to give people on a slim budget ideas that will work immediately. i believe in street knowledge.

i wish we cud both hav a competeion. two brand new tracks. first to make his own popular. then u'll see what i am talking about.

Good post, very educative & intering, keep it up.
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by zerocool(m): 11:42pm On May 30, 2012
You have a song? Submit it to http://NGARadio.org

You will find Artiste Sign Up form on the site, fill it and you will be featured.

NGARadio is ATL's top internet radio station running on dedicated servers, 247, 365!
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by Martinbre: 10:52pm On May 31, 2012
Hey sup man @porter really love this tread... Pls can we hook up am martinbre a.k.a martbeatz a young producer just holla @ martbeatz@yahoo.com... Stay cool
Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 02, 2012
I can tell that the OP has tried doing some PR at one point and noted helpful points in his own way which was quite impressive. All other post makes sense too in my own way. Bravo, you covered abt 5 all over 10 of what I do. Nice one !!!KEEP IT UP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by spiel(m): 2:07am On Aug 14, 2016
Guys You should watch my first Video on youtube Moji by spiel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF97r95yhrs

Re: How To Make Your Song Popular without beggin radio dj's by spiel(m): 2:11am On Aug 14, 2016
guys, you should watch my first video on youtubeM Moji by spiel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF97r95yhrs

(1) (Reply)

'Iyanya Vs Desire' Album Launch In Abuja (Pictures) / Kegite Club – Gyration Naija / 2018 Headies: Wizkid, Davido, Olamide, Tiwa & Simi – Artiste Of The Year Award?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.