Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,989 members, 7,835,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It (540 Views)

35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! / Words You Pronounced Wrongly When You Were Younger. / 8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 9:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
Hi folks,I just stumbled on a topic I discussed with a few people some years back,and thought it'd be a nice idea to get more people to share their thoughts on this. Now,I'm not claiming to be right here;I'm just stating my personal view on this subject. We can all look at it together and see if we can make any sense together.

Why do we pronounce the word "champagne" as "shampayne" or "shampain"?
The word "CHAMPAGNE" is probably being pronounced wrongly as "SHAM-PAIN" or "SHAM-PAYNE" and i can explain:
In oral english,we were taught certain diphtongs and pronounciations & it goes thus:
ch: (pronounced as chi). eg: cheap,chip,cheat,chief,chef,chop,etc
sh: (pronounced as shi). eg: sheet,ship,sheep,shop,shot,short,etc
th: (pronounced as fe). eg: think(fink),thank(fenk),etc.
when you break CHAMPAGNE into two syllables,you get "cham"-"pagne". The cham should be pronounced like the cham in champion. The pagne should be pronounced as "pag-ne". or better still,we could have champ-agne as in agnes. It's either we pronounce it like this or we respell it as champayne or champain.
Pronouncing it as "shampayne" or "shampain" might just be wrong.

Note that "pag" elsewhere in English language is pronounced as "parj"(when spelt) e.g: pageantry.

Do you think English language is totally not correct at times,and that they'd need to review the spelling & pronounciation of certain words. What's your thought on this?

Cc:lalasticlala
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2015
Now,note that the bone of contention here,is how the two words are pronounced when broken into two syllables.
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by Connoisseur(m): 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2015
First of all, check the origin of the word.
If the word is borrowed from another language, it might disobey all your plenty rules
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2015
Have thought about the possiblility of the word not being "English"?

Just like the words island and viscount
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by ayindejimmy(m): 10:19pm On Sep 17, 2015
Just like the words

Campaign and Champaign
Champagne is a French word, as such, it doesn't following the phonetics rules of the English language
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 10:50pm On Sep 17, 2015
But even campaign doesn't make sense too,and it's english.
ayindejimmy:
Just like the words

Campaign and Champaign
Champagne is a French word, as such, it doesn't following the phonetics rules of the English language

(1) (Reply)

So You Want To Be A Star 1 / Ebonyi State Unviversity Pre-degree Form 2016/2017 Session / Why FG Put On Hold Conversion Of Colleges Of Education To Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.