Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot (1862 Views)

Mourinho And Fourth Official: Caption This Picture / Fourth-round Draw Made In The Capital One Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by westhamfan: 11:44pm On Sep 17, 2015
It would mean one of Manchester
United, Manchester City, Arsenal
or Chelsea would NOT qualify for
Europe's top competition

England's fourth Champions
League sport could be snatched
away by Serie A if Premier League
clubs don't buck their ideas up in
Europe.

UEFA award Champions League
places based on a country's UEFA
coefficient score. The countries with the three highest coefficients get four
Champions League spots, while
the one in fourth gets three.

As it stands, England have the
third highest coefficient behind
Spain and Germany

1. Spain (86.142)
2. Germany (67.606)
3. England (65.284)
4. Italy (61.105)

The coefficient points are based
on how teams from each country's
leagues have done in the Champions League and Europa League over the last five seasons including the current campaign.

English teams performed particularly badly last season, with no teams making it to either the Champions League or the Europa League quarter-finals.

It meant that England only won an
additional 13.571 points towards
its coefficient. Italy, on the other hand, had Juventus reach the Champions
League final and also had two teams (Napoli and Fiorentina) reach the Europa League semi-finals.
That meant that Italy
earned 19 points towards its UEFA
coefficient, 5.429 more than
England.
With Italy only 4.179 points
behind England at the time of
writing it means that should last
season's European performances
be repeated by both nations'
teams, then Italy would jump
above England in the coefficient
rankings.

1. Spain (101.999)
2. Germany (79.606)
3. Italy (77.939)
4. England (75.605)

That would mean that England
would lose its fourth Champions
League spot for the 2017-18
season to Italy.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-brink-losing-fourth-6461631

1 Like

Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by dominique(f): 11:48pm On Sep 17, 2015
Hmmm, I never knew this was the criteria used to choose slots for champions league. If an English team makes it to the finals this season, it could improve their coefficient.
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Bimffo(m): 4:18am On Sep 18, 2015
Seriously, I wish EPL teams coming to the UCL can be reduced ASAP. I think it will. make them serious.

How can a team from Holland beat Man U.?

How can the best team in the EPL right now (Man City) get schooled by a team that has not won a single match this season. Its ridiculous!
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by coded01: 6:54am On Sep 18, 2015
Bimffo:
Seriously, I wish EPL teams coming to the UCL can be reduced ASAP. I think it will. make them serious.

How can the best team in the EPL right now (Man City) get schooled by a team that has not won a single match this season. Its ridiculous!

My broda, thanks for saying the truth... wink

The one way bad pass na Man City own...Smh... lipsrsealed At least we know Man Utd are going through an unfortunate situation but Man City with all the swag for EPL and boasting of top class players... lipsrsealed
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Bimffo(m): 7:48am On Sep 18, 2015
coded01:

My broda, thanks for saying the truth... wink

The one way bad pass na Man City own...Smh... lipsrsealed At least we know Man Utd are going through an unfortunate situation but Man City with all the swag for EPL and boasting of top class players... lipsrsealed

Seriously, I am tired of English teams. Chaii ManCity worse die!
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by westhamfan: 8:10am On Sep 18, 2015
This season has started badly for english teams.
In europa league 2 teams (west ham and southampton) have been sent home (i.e they failed to qualify)
In champions league (3 loses already)

I sincerely hope things change for d better
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:03pm On Sep 18, 2015
westhamfan:
This season has started badly for english teams.
In europa league 2 teams (west ham and southampton) have been sent home (i.e they failed to qualify)
In champions league (3 loses already)

I sincerely hope things change for d better

Lol, why are you so invested in the English clubs?

The other clubs, them no get mama?
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by KingTom(m): 1:43pm On Sep 18, 2015
Spain has five teams in the UCL shocked 4 from the normal la liga 1st-4th and one extra (Europa league winners Sevilla). Spain I troway salute o shocked

1 Like

Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by raumdeuter: 3:00pm On Sep 18, 2015
Bimffo:

Do you remember me? And what I've been saying for 3yrs about the EPL
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Bimffo(m): 3:13pm On Sep 18, 2015
raumdeuter:

Do you remember me? And what I've been saying for 3yrs about the EPL

We all know the EPL teams in Europe have been shitty for 3 years now.

But that does not change the fact that its the most exciting league in the world.

Maybe not the best, because of Player qualities, but its definitely the most interesting.
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by raumdeuter: 3:17pm On Sep 18, 2015
Bimffo:
We all know the EPL teams in Europe have been shitty for 3 years now.

But that does not change the fact that its the most exciting league in the world.

Maybe not the best, because of Player qualities, but its definitely the most interesting.

What is interesting about it? I watched Man utd vs Liverpool because of Schweinsteiger and I fell asleep. Honestly. And that is supposed to be one of the top table clashes

DId you watch the game and what was your opinion? Was it exciting to you?
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by coded01: 5:25pm On Sep 18, 2015
Bimffo will agree it's not actually exciting watching EPL like it was 10 years ago... lipsrsealed
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Bimffo(m): 7:44pm On Sep 18, 2015
coded01:
Bimffo will agree it's not actually exciting watching EPL like it was 10 years ago... lipsrsealed

Yea. I agree with you partially.
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Bimffo(m): 7:49pm On Sep 18, 2015
raumdeuter:

What is interesting about it? I watched Man utd vs Liverpool because of Schweinsteiger and I fell asleep. Honestly. And that is supposed to be one of the top table clashes

Agreed, The 1st half was actually boring. But the 2nd half was better and interesting.

BTW, I have also watched at least 2 El Classicos that were also boring. That doesn't change the fact that its the greatest match in a Calendar year.

Just wait and see how the season unfolds.
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by coded01: 8:58pm On Sep 18, 2015
Bimffo:

Yea. I agree with you partially.

Partially! grin

Baba make we talk true na, where are the Thierry, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Roy Keane , Ballack of this generation... lipsrsealed

Honestly, I fear for the future of football generally... It's dying... Money is hugely responsible for the death of talents... angry

Even Brazil is a typical example, 10 years ago every position had super stars that will command $100 million transfer fee today but then they played for the fans and are largely recognized for their individual attributes both for club n country... cool

Taffarel, Dida, Carlos, Lucio, Roque Junior, Cafu, Dunga, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Rivaldo, Ronado, Ronaldinho, Bebeto, Romario, Dennilson.... Make i stop here... grin

But what do we have now? shocked
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by nyabinghi(m): 10:46pm On Sep 18, 2015
coded01:

Partially! grin

Baba make we talk true na, where are the Thierry, Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, Roy Keane , Ballack of this generation... lipsrsealed

Honestly, I fear for the future of football generally... It's dying... Money is hugely responsible for the death of talents... angry

Even Brazil is a typical example, 10 years ago every position had super stars that will command $100 million transfer fee today but then they played for the fans and are largely recognized for their individual attributes both for club n country... cool

Taffarel, Dida, Carlos, Lucio, Roque Junior, Cafu, Dunga, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Rivaldo, Ronado, Ronaldinho, Bebeto, Romario, Dennilson.... Make i stop here... grin

But what do we have now? shocked
oscar, ramires, luis, lucas moura, coutinho, pauliho,gomes, willian grin
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by coded01: 12:11am On Sep 19, 2015
nyabinghi:
oscar, ramires, luis, lucas moura, coutinho, pauliho,gomes, willian grin

Smh... grin grin
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by safarigirl(f): 10:15am On Sep 19, 2015
Y'all should cut BPL some slack. Admittedly, the Man U-Liverpool game was a borefest, but I doubt anyone slept through Everton's trashing of Chelsea or Arsenal's shocking defeat to West Ham or Swansea's win against Chelsea and if you guys give Leicester City a chance, they've got some pretty interesting games too

1 Like

Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Bimffo(m): 10:36am On Sep 19, 2015
safarigirl:
Y'all should cut BPL some slack. Admittedly, the Man U-Liverpool game was a borefest, but I doubt anyone slept through Everton's trashing of Chelsea or Arsenal's shocking defeat to West Ham or Swansea's win against Chelsea and if you guys give Leicester City a chance, they've got some pretty interesting games too

*Thumbs Up*
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by pamcode(m): 10:44am On Sep 19, 2015
raumdeuter:

I fear both You and coded01 are right, but have noticed it not limited to Just epl, Ucl matchday matches that i watched were quite boring, take that barca-roma match or Arsenal-dinamo, madrid-shaktar.
They were so rigid, it was all passes,crosses head or tap in score No dribbles,no entertainment.
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by coded01: 8:14pm On Sep 19, 2015
pamcode:
I fear both You and coded01 are right, but have noticed it not limited to Just epl, Ucl matchday matches that i watched were quite boring, take that barca-roma match or Arsenal-dinamo, madrid-shaktar.
They were so rigid, it was all passes,crosses head or tap in score No dribbles,no entertainment.

Like I noted;

"Honestly, I fear for the future of football generally... It's dying..." lipsrsealed

It's sad though... embarassed
Re: Premier League May Loose The Fourth Champions League Spot by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 24, 2015
The champions league shud be only for champions jare

(1) (Reply)

Roma (1) Vs Arsenal (1) Wednesday 11th March. AFC wins 7- 6 on Pens / Man United (5) Vs Tottenham Hotspur (2) On Sat 25th April / Open Letter To Arsene Wenger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.