Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

My Personal Thoughts On Entrepreneurship. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Personal Thoughts On Entrepreneurship. (579 Views)

Personal Thoughts On Potential / Free Training On Entrepreneurship (10 Pdus) / My Worst Day On Earth And Some Thoughts On Suicide. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Personal Thoughts On Entrepreneurship. by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2015
Hi friends!

I've only been on Nairaland for a few weeks now, and in that time I've noticed a few things among some of the threads. Particularly those about business and entrepreneurship. One of the things that I've noticed is the high amount of interest in entrepreneurship and online business within this forum. There are lots of people on Nairaland, and in the world in general, who are eager to get into entrepreneurship because they view it as a path to riches, success and a better life. And while I agree that entrepreneurship can, and does, offer those things, what I believe many people forget is that it can also keep you from them.

I've been an entrepreneur for 14 years now, and I can tell you that it's anything but easy. It's very hard work, takes a lot of your time most days, and requires a serious level of commitment. It isn't something you should take lightly or dive into on a whim simply because you don't want to work for anyone else. It's not something you pursue because you want a large bank account, nice car and expensive home.

The "Gospel of Entrepreneurship" as I call it, has people mislead and misinformed. And it's not just in Nigeria, it's EVERYWHERE!

I'm sure you have been on Facebook recently, and as you're scrolling your newsfeed, you notice ad after ad of someone promoting the "secret to success", "how to get more leads to your website", or someone promoting a coaching business or some form of entrepreneurial bootcamp or mastermind, or something relating to helping more people become "successful" entrepreneurs. Maybe you yourself are someone who has bought into many of these offers and promotions hoping to build a successful business, and earn a living through entrepreneurship.

Truth is, entrepreneurship IS NOT for everyone. It IS NOT easy. And it IS NOT a guaranteed pathway to success.

Whether you go to school or start a business, you are only as likely to be successful as you are committed, knowledgeable and marketable. And let's be honest, it's a lot easier to earn an income from marketing academic success, degrees and employable skills, than it is to be an entrepreneur.

Entrepreneurship IS NOT the only way to an abundant life, and I really wish people would stop promoting it as though it is.

I also hate how these people try to convince you this is true, by telling you how pointless it is to go to school or even seek employment. The next time someone tries to convince you that academics are a waste of time, ask yourself this: "If entrepreneurship is so wonderful, why do you have to convince anyone into it?"

The truth is that many of these would-be entrepreneurs know that is not true. Again I will say it, ENTREPRENEURSHIP IS HARD!!

Entrepreneurship is a career choice, like any other career. And like any career, not everyone is fit for the job. Not everyone can be a doctor, lawyer or executive, because these jobs require certain skills, knowledge and talents that many don't have. Entrepreneurship is no different. The reason why the majority of business fail within their first few years IS NOT because business is hard. It's because there are too many businesses being run by people who have no business doing it in the first place.

There are too many people encouraging others to start businesses, because they want you to believe that working for an employer is modern day slavery. Personally, I feel financial debt is more akin to modern day slavery, but we'll discuss that in another thread, on another day.

In my opinion, modern day slavery is following the Gospel of someone else who promises you riches that he or she does not have.

Be honest, how many times have you seen an establishment in your own city or town convert from one business to another, month after month? Year after year? How many times have you seen more than one (or even two) of the same businesses, offering the same services, in close proximity to one another? You cannot be successful duplicating the routines and processes of everyone else. I'm not saying to ignore or disregard a strategy if it is successful, because it may very well allow you to achieve a bit of success as well. My problem is with people who want to take the exact steps others have taken, recreate the exact same business model, and then wonder why they aren't successful.

There are far too many people promoting entrepreneurship who are not informing people of the true nature of this path. Yes, I am a firm believer that we can achieve virtually anything we put our mind to, but I also KNOW that believing I will be successful is not going to cut it. Believe as you may, you cannot profit from a dying business model. If something isn't working, it's not because you fail to believe or lack dedication. But it might mean you are dedicated and devoted to the wrong things.

If you want to pursue entrepreneurship, I say go for it. Just do not expect it to be the end all to your financial and fulfillment woes. Do not expect it to come quickly and easily, and do not assume that everything else is a waste of your time, because it is NOT!

I apologize for the length of this rant, but I just wanted to share a few things (a lot of things) that were on my thoughts at the moment.

I hope you have a blessed remainder of your day. And I wish you well in your endeavors. Be they in entrepreneurship or not. smiley

Be blessed!

Ra
Re: My Personal Thoughts On Entrepreneurship. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 18, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Difference Between A Rich Man And A Poor Man / blank / Human Resource Mgt And Learning HRIS Apps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.