Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Is The Rapture In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Rapture In The Bible? (752 Views)

2014 Rapture Signs To Watch For / I Dream Of The Rapture / The Rapture - Jesus Second Coming In Two Stages ? Is The Rapture Secret ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:45am On Apr 13, 2009
Hello folks, I was wondering if any of you know where the rapture is in the bible, I can't seem to find it.
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Lady2(f): 5:45pm On Apr 13, 2009
Yeah i can't seem to find it either. There is no rapture in the Bible.
Did you miss me Chris?
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:07pm On Apr 13, 2009
Yipeeee you are back from your vacation!
I need some tequila!
I most definetly missed you!
So if its not in the bible where did it come from and why do many christians believe in it?
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Bobbyaf(m): 8:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
It depends on how you define the rapture. If it is a phrase used to describe the second glorious return of Jesus then it is in the bible.

What I refuse to believe in is the secret rapture that says Christ will come and snatch away his church leaving millions of persons on earth to either choose the mark of the beast, or refuse it.
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Lady2(f): 1:18am On Apr 14, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Yipeeee you are back from your vacation!
I need some tequila!
I most definetly missed you!
So if its not in the bible where did it come from and why do many christians believe in it?

Lol, it wasn't a vacay oh, it was lent, and I gave up nairaland among other things. I would like to say I am a much better person upon returning.
I don't know it is made up by the protestants, so ask them. But I do know this, it is def not in the bible. Maybe they made it up to make themselves feel better, I really don't know.
While you're getting that tequila, can you get me some MARGARITA!!!!
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Lady2(f): 1:23am On Apr 14, 2009
Bobbyaf:

It depends on how you define the rapture. If it is a phrase used to describe the second glorious return of Jesus then it is in the bible.

What I refuse to believe in is the secret rapture that says Christ will come and snatch away his church leaving millions of persons on earth to either choose the mark of the beast, or refuse it.

Hey Bobbyaf, how are ya?
Here is a little write up on the rapture and why it isn't biblical

1 Thess. 4:16-17 - Paul writes that "we will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air." Many Protestants call this experience the "rapture" (even though the word "rapture" is not found in the Bible, although is derived from the Latin vulgate of this verse – “rapiemur”). John 14:3; 1 Cor. 15:52 - these are other passages that Protestants use to support the rapture experience. The question Protestantism has raised is “when will the rapture occur?” They have developed three theories – (1) post-tribulation; (2) pre-tribulation; and, (3) mid-tribulation. We address these theories later on. But first, here is some more background.

Rev. 20:2-3; 7-8 – John sees the vision of an angel who seizes satan and binds him for a period of a thousand years. Protestants generally call this period of a thousand years the “millennium.” The “millennium” is a harbinger of the end of the world, and the theories of when the “rapture” will occur center around this period of time. We should also note that the “thousand years” language is part of apocalyptic literature and should not be interpreted literally. For example, in Psalm 50:10, we see the cattle on a "thousand hills." The word "thousand" here obviously means a lot of hills. In Dan. 7:10, a "thousand thousands" served him. Again, "thousand" means a lot. In 2 Peter 3:8, with God one day is a "thousand" years and a "thousand" years is one day. "Thousand" is symbolic for a long time. It is not to be taken literally.

There are three ways that Protestants interpret the meaning of the thousand year “millennium” (and the interpretation leads to answering when they think the rapture will occur).

(1) Post-millennialism – this view interprets the “thousand years” as a very long time. This view also holds that God’s kingdom is being advanced in the world by His grace and the world will eventually be Christianized. Then Christ will return at the close of this period during a time of righteousness and peace. The problem with this view is that the Scriptures do not teach that the world will be even relatively Christianized before the Second Coming. For example, in Matt. 13:24-30;36-43, Jesus says the wicked and the righteous will co-exist until the end of the world, when they will be judged, and either inherit eternal life, or be thrown into eternal fire.

(2) Pre-millenialism (also called “millenarianism”) – like post-millennialists, this view also interprets the “thousand years” as a golden age on earth when the world will be Christianized. But they believe that this period will occur after Christ’s second coming, during which time Christ will reign physically on earth. They believe the Final Judgment occurs when the millennium is over. But Scripture does not teach that there is a thousand year span between the Second Coming and Final Judgment. Instead, Jesus said that when He comes a second time in glory, He will immediately repay every man for what he has done. Matt. 16:27. When Jesus comes, He will separate the sheep from the goats and render judgment. Matt. 25:31-46. There is nothing about any period of time between His coming and final judgment.

(3) Amillennialism – this view also interprets the “thousand years” symbolically, but, ulike the pre and post views, not as a golden age on earth. This view believes the millennium is the period of Christ’s rule in heaven and on earth through His Church. This is because the saints who reign with Christ and to whom judgment has been committed are said to be on their thrones in heaven. Rev. 20:4; cf. 4:4; 11:16. During this time, satan is bound and cannot hinder the spread of the gospel. Rev. 20:3. This is why, they explain, Jesus teaches the necessity of binding the “strong man” (satan) in order to plunder his house and rescue people from his grip. Matt. 12:29. This is also why, after the disciples preached the gospel and rejoiced that the demons were even subject to them, Jesus declared, “I saw satan fall like lightening from heaven.” Luke 10:18. Nevertheless, during this period, the world will not be entirely Christianized because satan, though bound, is still in some sense able to prowl around and attack souls. cf. 1 Peter 5:8. Of the three, this position is most consistent with Catholic teaching (the pre and post-millennium views have been rejected by the Church).

2 Thess. 2:1-4 – concerning the Second Coming of Christ, Scripture teaches (and most Protestants believe) that Christ’s coming will be preceded by a time of rebellion, lawlessness and persecution. Protestants often refer to this period as the “tribulation” (although the word “tribulation” cannot be found in the Scripture passages Protestants use to support the “rapture”). So the question is, when will the 1 Thess. 4:16-17 “rapture” occur, in light of the tribulation and Christ’s Second Coming? Here are the three theories previously mentioned:

(1) Post-tribulational view – this view holds that the rapture will occur right after the tribulation and immediately before the Second Coming of Christ. This view can be consistent with Scripture and Catholic teaching to the extent it holds that the rapture and Christ’s Second Coming occur together, after the tribulation and the Church Militant on earth. See, for example, Matt. 24:29-31; Mark 13:24-27; 2 Thess. 1:1-12.

(2) Pre-tribulational view – this view holds that the rapture will occur before the tribulation. The problem with this view is that it requires three comings of Christ – first, when He was born in Bethlehem; second, when He returns for the rapture before the tribulation; third, when He returns at the end of the tribulation and establishes the millennium. Scripture rejects three comings of Christ. In Heb. 9:28, it is clear that Christ will appear a second and final time, when he comes in glory to save us. This view also is inconsistent with Matt. 24:24-31; Mark 13:24-27; and 2 Thess. 2:1-12 where the rapture and the Second Coming occur together.

(3) Mid-tribulational view – this view holds that the rapture will occur during the middle of the tribulation. The problem with this view is that it also requires three comings of Christ – first, when He was born in Bethlehem; second, when He returns for the rapture during the middle of the tribulation; third, when He returns at the end of the tribulation and establishes the millennium. As seen in Heb. 9:28, Scripture rejects three comings of Christ. The view is also inconsistent with Matt. 24:24-31; Mark. 13:24-27; and 2 Thess. 2:1-12.

2 Peter 3:8-15 – instead of worrying about when the rapture will occur, Christians should follow Peter’s instruction to repent of their sins, live lives of holiness and godliness, be zealous and at peace, and wait for the Lord’s coming with forbearance and joy!

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/second_coming.html
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:30am On Apr 15, 2009
@ Lady

I am aware of the various theories. In either case its really no big deal proving that the word rapture isn't in the bible, since it s already a given that it isn't. Besides, there is no law saying we can't use a word to describe a future event that is recorded in the bible.

Christians use the word millennium to describe the 1,000 years mentioned in Revelation 20. What would be the point in arguing that the word millennium doesn't exist in the bible?
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Lady2(f): 8:25pm On Apr 15, 2009
Bobbyaf:

@ Lady

I am aware of the various theories. In either case its really no big deal proving that the word rapture isn't in the bible, since it s already a given that it isn't. Besides, there is no law saying we can't use a word to describe a future event that is recorded in the bible.

Christians use the word millennium to describe the 1,000 years mentioned in Revelation 20. What would be the point in arguing that the word millennium doesn't exist in the bible?

huh? did you miss my post? just inquiring as this is not what the post is about.
Re: Is The Rapture In The Bible? by Bobbyaf(m): 5:45am On Apr 16, 2009
As I said it depends on how one defines the word rapture. I define rapture as the 2nd return of Jesus for His people. It is a literal and personal return. It will be a glorious return.

What it is not is a supposedly secretive return in which Jesus suddenly takes away His people to the surprise of those who will be left behind. That if anything else is un-biblical.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Love Your Neighbours? / The Apostolic Church Members,meets Here / South Africa: christians murder a man for watching soccer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.