Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,116 members, 7,814,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. (1373 Views)

Second Ad Contest Gallery & Results / Roc Da Mic Tv Ad / What Makes A Good TV AD? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 4:05pm On Apr 13, 2009
Hello people! I have this brief to develop for a TV ad. The concept is a dance routine performed by a man (solo). What kind of dance do you think the Nigerian audience would likely connect to? I am thinking either Latin American (Salsa) or Hip hop.
The brand: An alcoholic beverage (NEW).
Please help people!
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by OGBUONYA(m): 4:09pm On Apr 13, 2009
sojioguns:

Hello people! I have this brief to develop for a TV ad. The concept is a dance routine performed by a man (solo). What kind of dance do you think the Nigerian audience would likely connect to? I am thinking either Latin American (Salsa) or Hip hop.
The brand: An alcoholic beverage (NEW).
Please help people!
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by bishoptboy(m): 7:43pm On Apr 13, 2009
I think Hiphop would do more. Think of a way to blend it with something traditional. I mean dont make a general hiphop, add some nigerian elements to it. if you can get a guy/girl to blend the Benue dance with hiphop. that should be fun to watch. or say galala with hiphop.

if its alcoholic then have a silhouette kunfu master (remember drunken master grin) dance. LOL. and after you can reveal it to be one niger delta old man who isnt drunk but doing something meaninful. if nigeri delta man cant do it use a stuntman for the dance.

there was a guy on so you think you can dance south africa that does this kunk fu dance. they call him taekwando. he is good. if you can get the video watch him.

THESE ARE JUST IDEAS COMING TO MY HEAD. IT MIGHT HELP
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 8:26pm On Apr 13, 2009
thanks but i want to keep it classy. That's why salsa is an option.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by bishoptboy(m): 10:05am On Apr 14, 2009
If its classy then i understand why Salsa will be better. but think of how to make it cool and have people want to see it again and again. I believe a little comedy makes people want to see an AD over and over again. It could be an old man doing salsa.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 10:14am On Apr 14, 2009
Hmm, It's really tough having to develop a script for the Nigerian audience, especially if you are infusing foreign elements.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by Kemjisuper(m): 10:46am On Apr 14, 2009
Hey I thought it was a "one man dance". Does Salsa really nail it? I thought Salsa was supposed to be better performed as a duet.

Hip hop on the other hand, can be done solo with equally entertaining moves. Then again, you have to consider age range of the target audience.

For me - it's HipHop most def wink
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 10:49am On Apr 14, 2009
I would have easily gone with hiphop but the client demands salsa and I agree with him because the brand cuts beyond the age range of hiphop fans.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by zPixel(m): 12:15pm On Apr 14, 2009
I agree wit bishop, a little comedy wil make ql want 2 watch again.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 12:33pm On Apr 14, 2009
Yeah comedy would be nice but for an alcoholic drink for mature people, I think class would connect with the brand more. It is a new drink and this would be the 1st TVC.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by AdamuW: 6:47pm On Apr 16, 2009
From what you've said about the brand profile and target age range, I would be more inclined to go with jazz of african extraction. I salsa, but I think it's profile here is 'young' as it is only a few years old. I'm not saying those older than the hip hop generation don't dance salsa but Jazz just has more history in Nigeria and Africa so they might relate to that more. Get a decent choreographer, a nice tune, a actor/dancer who can carry it off then you are good to go. The guy doesn't have to start break dancing.

For example, all someone like Morgan freeman , Al Pacino, Travolta or Deniro would have to do to make an advert like yours cool & classy would be a simple tap routine.

The devil would be in the production detail. Design, look, pace etc.As you are one of the best around , I'm sure you'd relish the challenge.

That's the kind of ad that would appeal to me.

Good luck with the ad.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 6:57pm On Apr 16, 2009
Thanks people. We had the pre-production meeting today and we had an agreement to stick with urban/techno stuff, not minding the age range. The client wants to appeal to the people that drink dark ale/stout. Watch this space as it progresses,
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by Kemjisuper(m): 8:10am On Apr 17, 2009
Sweet.

Abeg post the link to the ad video when you're done! cool Cheers
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by sojioguns(m): 9:10am On Apr 17, 2009
Will definitely keep you all posted. Wish I could disseminate more information but I can't.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by AdamuW: 11:26am On Apr 17, 2009
I guess we'll just have to be patient then. All the best with it.
Re: Open Disussion For A New Tv Ad. by xothermik(m): 7:10pm On Apr 17, 2009
AdamuW:

From what you've said about the brand profile and target age range, I would be more inclined to go with jazz of african extraction. I salsa, but I think it's profile here is 'young' as it is only a few years old. I'm not saying those older than the hip hop generation don't dance salsa but Jazz just has more history in Nigeria and Africa so they might relate to that more. Get a decent choreographer, a nice tune, a actor/dancer who can carry it off then you are good to go. The guy doesn't have to start break dancing.

For example, all someone like Morgan freeman , Al Pacino, Travolta or Deniro would have to do to make an advert like yours cool & classy would be a simple tap routine.

The devil would be in the production detail. Design, look, pace etc.As you are one of the best around , I'm sure you'd relish the challenge.

That's the kind of ad that would appeal to me.

Good luck with the ad.

lissen to the man oh. he's abuja salsa royalty grin

(1) (Reply)

CRAZY Nigerian Football Animation! (Another EVCL Production) / Google's Planned Digital Library Causes Problems / Gist Me More (GMM) New Logo Check It Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.