Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH (13163 Views)

CBN New Forex Policy Fails To Excite Foreign Investors / External Reserves Drop To $27.85bn As Foreign Investors Repatriate $30.2m / Made-in-aba Shoes Go Global As Foreign Investors Show Interest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2015

The dwindling attraction and returns in the country’s stock market caused foreign portfolio investors to pull out N410.49bn from the equities segment of the Nigerian Stock Exchange between January and August this year.

Data obtained from the NSE showed that just as was the case last year, foreign investment outflow exceeded inflow in the first eight months of 2015.

Foreign investors had pulled N846.53bn from the stock market last year although they invested N692.39bn, a development that caused the NSE All-Share Index to close with a negative return of -16.14 per cent.

This is because the market is dominated by the foreign investors. They accounted for 57.52 per cent of total transactions in 2014.

In the first eight months of this year, foreign investment inflow was N367.10bn, which was N43.39bn less than outflow.

Despite the reported exit of many foreign investors from the stock market and expectations that domestic investors would take advantage of low stock prices, foreign investors still dominated the market, accounting for 54.36 per cent of the N1.430tn transactions in equities as of August.

Further review of the participation statistics showed that foreign portfolio investment outflow exceeded inflow in six of the eight months under consideration.

Inflow exceeded outflow in April, as investor confidence rose after the peaceful conduct of the presidential election, and in June following the change in government. Year-to-date, the NSE All-Share Index has a negative return of -12.40.

The N1.430tn transactions recorded in the equities segment of the NSE in the first eight months of this year was, however, 5.8 per cent or N88bn less than the N1.518tn transactions recorded in the same period of 2014.

The Head, Investment and Research, Sterling Capital, Mr. Sewa Wusu, said, “A combination of factors has actually been affecting the Nigerian economy and by extension we have seen reactions in the financial markets generally. They are headwinds that investors would naturally react to because of the fear of eroding the value of their investment.”

He, however, said that did not mean that the Nigerian economy did not have potential as it were, stressing that what was affecting the economy was a global problem as oil prices were down and commodity prices were tumbling.

According to him, now that the political risk has fizzled out, it is time for the government to face the economy squarely.

This, he said, was because “most investors are just exiting to preserve their capital and wait for the tide to clear because they cannot just make investment decisions when there is no clarity in the macroeconomic space.”

On why domestic investors have not taken full advantage of the low stock prices, the Managing Director, Cowry Asset Management Limited, Mr. Johnson Chukwu, explained that the domestic investors in the market were majorly Pension Fund Administrators, with private investors lacking access to credit.

“And if you look at the portfolio of the PFAs, you will see that they are getting underweight in equities; they are shifting much more of their funds to Federal Government Treasury Bills and bonds, which simply mean that they have more faith in the fact that interest rates would go up further,” he said.

Stressing that no dividend yield was as high as bond yields, Chukwu added, “We are in an economy where because of unclear economic policies, you cannot say that equity prices will rally.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/foreign-investors-withdraw-n410bn-from-stock-market/

economy going going

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by dejavski(m): 7:28am On Sep 22, 2015
embarassed
Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by madridguy(m): 7:29am On Sep 22, 2015
Baba do something to help our economy.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by MISSNORA(f): 7:30am On Sep 22, 2015
Too bad
Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by lincolnj88: 7:30am On Sep 22, 2015
grin this are the reason i am against body language
1. The term body language, is stationary meaning workdone is at zero point but body odour is not stationary because it moves causing discomfort which is making every investors to pull out ..

2. Body language is neither a fundamental analysis or technical analysis which indicates the position in which investors are to follow for maximum profits...... When there is no indicator from the govt , investors pullout as the future on the long and short run is unceertain.

3. The reality on ground now is that this so called body language has chased major investors and also potential investors.

4. when a man tells u he knows nothing abt subsidy (petrol) know he is an economics illiterate and after the much talk abt subsidy d past yrs and he still knows nothing abt it, that tells u he is a total dull..ard without remedy

reality on ground shows we already have d greatest loss of investors this past 3 months

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by SalC: 7:31am On Sep 22, 2015
Which way Naija?

We were not at ease before now...instead of things getting better, they keep falling apart sad

11 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by GboyegaD(m): 7:31am On Sep 22, 2015
That will surely have a massive effect on the economy. I hope there will be some government investment asap in the stock market.
Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by sdindan: 7:33am On Sep 22, 2015
That's what you get when you have an illiterate as a PRESIDENT
A dunderhead tongue

51 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 7:33am On Sep 22, 2015
madridguy:

F9 ECONOMICS AND MATHS cheesy cheesy grin

my friends have lost.millions since the dullard came in. 1984 repeating itself
gunuvi Truckpusher bomsilaga exxel erunz dunsman Nigerianvenom Ishiamu Phockphockman, nwadiuko1, ibokUtoroh, Koded, Ecoterrors, iPrinz20 Aprokoman, OcheJoseph, Dearpreye, Firefire, Francizy, Temitemi1, Hinwazaka Ecoterrors, Dumkem21 Biafranqueen, Mogidi, Mizmycoli, IsraeliAirforce, Candyrain, Ambivert, Rose2014, Ishiamu Provacateur, Opiaoku, NDPVF, Anonimi, Engineerboat, Talktimi, ahaika23, coolestrogue APCSucks Emperortj93 DebateNigeria and all patriots

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by SalC: 7:36am On Sep 22, 2015
rozayx5:

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/foreign-investors-withdraw-n410bn-from-stock-market/

economy going going
I really don't want to say 'gone' for now but if care is not taken, we will be forced to say and believe so soon.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by modath(f): 7:36am On Sep 22, 2015
SalC:
Which way Naija?

Definitely Up but its a steep climb that must be negotiated with a lot of patience & careful planning.

The investors are in biz to make profit, Nigerian govt is also keen to ensure the citizenry are not further impoverished , its a real impasse...

The investors will return when things become rosy again... God will help our dear PMB to make the nation that which we can all be proud of... Amen.

8 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by OZAOEKPE(f): 7:39am On Sep 22, 2015
"PMB is killing this country".

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by DONMAYOR19(m): 7:41am On Sep 22, 2015
madridguy:
do waitin? person when be olodo for economic as a subject, waitin e wan know for Nigeria economy? don't forget, he no need ministers, because ministers are noise makers.

#dullestpresident #everliveth.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by rozayx5(m): 7:41am On Sep 22, 2015
lalasticlala cool
Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 22, 2015
Ben Carson said it all. Never use a Muslim as President. I see Nigeria looking like Afghanistan and Pakistan. but it will be in the North and South West where they have their people.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by koboko69: 7:45am On Sep 22, 2015
sdindan:
That's what you get when you have an illiterate as a PRESIDENT
A dunderhead tongue

You kids keep spoiling this section. I am sure your lazy brain could not even comprehend what u read. Is thr the best PDP can do. Put juveniles on the e-plat form to rant and comment with any iota of idea.
This issue started from last year mad who was the president then. The question u should be asking is what happenened the our wealth when a barrel of oil.was as high as 180usd under the watch of Jonathan, Deziani and Okonjo who kept telling us our economy was growing? I cant keep wasting time on juveniles.....

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by loomer: 7:46am On Sep 22, 2015
I I say I understand wetin dem dey talk, I dey lie
Someone please explain in simple terms
Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by 1shortblackboy: 7:49am On Sep 22, 2015
madridguy:
pamurege !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by FearGodinall: 7:52am On Sep 22, 2015
Garba sheu, is Buhari body language is not effective again? Thank God for Tambuwal for body language comment.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 22, 2015
koboko69:

You kids keep spoiling this section. I am sure your lazy brain could not even comprehend what u read. Is thr the best PDP can do. Put juveniles on the e-plat form to rant and comment with any iota of idea.
This issue started from last year mad who was the president then. The question u should be asking is what happenened the our wealth when a barrel of oil.was as high as 180usd under the watch of Jonathan, Deziani and Okonjo who kept telling us our economy was growing? I cant keep wasting time on juveniles.....
yolobas should go and ask thiefnubuu for their destiny. don't come here to cry for your miserable life. no be we do you. ask thiefnubuu how he's family is making billions every year in lagos.

27 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by GabrielSuswam(m): 7:54am On Sep 22, 2015
They Should All Withdraw...

Nigeria is On The Move... How many foreign Investors do we have in Russia, China, Singapore

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by sdindan: 7:57am On Sep 22, 2015
koboko69:

SHATAP you Nincompoop.
When Jonathan was ruling did you blamed everything that happened on Ya'adua or Obasanjo?
You now want me to leave presidiot that hav been in power for 4 months without any economic directions. You're like ur blockhead presidiot. Monkey

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by koboko69: 7:59am On Sep 22, 2015
sdindan:

SHATAP you Nincompoop.
When Jonathan was ruling did you blamed everything that happened on Ya'adua or Obasanjo?
You now want me to leave presidiot that hav been in power for 4 months without any economic directions. You're like ur blockhead presidiot. Monkey

Dunce! We know how much Obj left in the reserves and we know how much Yaradua left.....and we also know who Jonathan depleted it and destroyed the nation! Deal with that...

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by koboko69: 8:01am On Sep 22, 2015
googlepikin:
yolobas should go and ask thiefnubuu for their destiny. don't come here to cry for your miserable life. no be we do you. ask thiefnubuu how he's family is making billions every year in lagos.

Another dumb juvenile......anyone that speaks against jonathan is from a particular trible. Sick dumb mentality....

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by francizy(m): 8:01am On Sep 22, 2015
To this administration, change only implies fighting corruption perceived enemies.

The country is bleeding while zombies are salivating over the fight against Saraki, but are always far away from threads showing the epileptic state of the economy. Even their useless doom speller news agencies has stopped reporting boko haram menace which seemed to be their main news back then in the past. It's disheartening to see that such things as bomb blast still occur but we hardly hear of it.

Buhari is truly an economic assassin whose only understanding of a sound economy translates only to the strength of a currency rather than several other factors. It happened in 1983/1984 when Nigeria had a strong Naira but had the most disastrous economy. It is happening again.

What a shame

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 22, 2015
Buhari body odour no gree them stay again...

Worst part is the nigga isn't even trying to put things right. Ladies and gentlemen we're in trouble

7 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by sdindan: 8:08am On Sep 22, 2015
koboko69:

Dunce! We know how much Obj left in the reserves and we know how much Yaradua left.....and we also know who Jonathan depleted it and destroyed the nation! Deal with that...

I pity you
By this time next 4yrs you will still blame him.
You forget to blame your pple that have ruled this zoo for more than 30yrs
Lemme tell you, to think that this your illiterate presidiot can change anything
You are OYO!

24 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 22, 2015
koboko69:

For you to be talking about oil now in the presence of emerging technologies means you are really dull. Keep talking about what happened ( the past) not what's happening ( the present) and what will happen ( the future) makes you a bigot and the Juveniles have shown to be experts by thinking ahead and not allowing the past to prevent actualisation of the present and future.

This can never happen in Biafra quote me anywhere.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by peleson: 8:13am On Sep 22, 2015
koboko69:

Shebi ur apc is in power so why not do the miracles u promised? Gej made nigeria the biggest economy in Africa and investors never left! Never thought of leaving but ur illiterate sai baba is not even upto 6months we r seeing these then imagine what happens in the next 2years? Anyways,we won't let him

18 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by francizy(m): 8:14am On Sep 22, 2015
lincolnj88:
grin this are the reason i am against body language
1. The term body language, is stationary meaning workdone is at zero point but body odour is not stationary because it moves causing discomfort which is making every investors to pull out ..

2. Body language is neither a fundamental analysis or technical analysis which indicates the position in which investors are to follow for maximum profits...... When there is no indicator from the govt , investors pullout as the future on the long and short run is unceertain.

3. The reality on ground now is that this so called body language has chased major investors and also potential investors.

4. when a man tells u he knows nothing abt subsidy (petrol) know he is an economics illiterate and after the much talk abt subsidy d past yrs and he still knows nothing abt it, that tells u he is a total dull..ard without remedy

reality on ground shows we already have d greatest loss of investors this past 3 months

liberty300:
Buhari body odour no gree them stay again...
Worst part is the nigga isn't even trying to put things right. Ladies and gentlemen we're in trouble

Hehehehe.. What we're experiencing in Nigeria can only be as a result of "body odour"... Someone please get Buhari a body spray.. grin

modath:

Definitely Up but its a steep climb that must be negotiated with a lot of patience & careful planning.
The investors are in biz to make profit, Nigerian govt is also keen to ensure the citizenry are not further impoverished , its a real impasse...
The investors will return when things become rosy again... God will help our dear PMB to make the nation that which we can all be proud of... Amen.

mo-DAFT, I see you trying your possible best to make sense but finding it very difficult. Keep trying dear, one day you will make me proud (make sense). wink kiss cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by Ugomba(m): 8:16am On Sep 22, 2015
peleson:

Shebi ur apc is in power so why not do the miracles u promised? Gej made nigeria the biggest economy in Africa and investors never left! Never thought of leaving but ur illiterate sai baba is not even upto 6months we r seeing these then imagine what happens in the next 2years? Anyways,we won't let him
don't mind the confused broom waivers.

9 Likes

Re: Foreign Investors Withdraw N410bn From Stock Market -PUNCH by koboko69: 8:23am On Sep 22, 2015
stickncarrot:

For you to be talking about oil now in the presence of emerging technologies means you are really dull. Keep talking about what happened ( the past) not what's happening ( the present) and what will happen ( the future) makes you a bigot and the Juveniles have shown to be experts by thinking ahead and not allowing the past to prevent actualisation of the present and future.

This can never happen in Biafra quote me anywhere.
cheesy cheesy how can u not talk about the past in economics Series of padt events leads to what happens to the economy today or in the future.

Are u this dumb?? GOSH!!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Give 100k To Those Who Are Really Hungry / What's The Cost Of Setting Up A Petrol Filling Station In Nigeria? / Neveah Makes Financial Times 2023 Africa’s Fastest Growing Companies Ranking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.