Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free (10720 Views)

WHO Confirms 3rd Case Of Polio In Nigeria / 2 Cases Of Polio Recorded In Borno, Nigeria / Rotary District Governor Mike Omotosho Walks To End Polio (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 28, 2015
appini:

May God have mercy upon you.
And on you too. I don't need a soothsayer to tell me that the otueke export was a curse!
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by MAYOWAAK: 7:04am On Sep 28, 2015
Tribute to those who persuaded northern religious leaders in 2003 that the vaccine was not designed to sterilise Muslim women and curtail the biological growth of Islam. Tribute to courageous vaccinators murdered by Boko Haram in 2013. Tribute to Bill Gates who spent billions fighting the nervous/paralysis disease in a foreign country. Tribute to the governments of Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan for their devotion to the cause. Progress!

2 Likes

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by amazingspiderma: 7:08am On Sep 28, 2015
hustla:
I love this news, especially as I know my Mom contributed a lot to the eradication of polio in Ogun State

Mama toh sure!

grin

Your mum is a hero,God bless her.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Abeymills(m): 7:08am On Sep 28, 2015
Dis is gud news...news we should always hear n NT fulani herds men killin n destroyin other tribes n religion as long as u AR a core northerner u AR nt safe.,,boko killin settin there brothers free in a commando style...our almighty all hailed all faired presido is in American snapin pic after d tourin n waitin of our acordin 2apc idiots ravaged economy yet they embark on baseless n stupid trips...gudluck dis is d results of one amongst so many of ur achievement mainly in north...u really tried sir they criticise u condem u insult u jst because u AR nt 1of Dem Bt we AR all witnessin d so cal change over how many months now nothing has changed 4gud4dis country nig u may have NT bin d messiah Bt u AR indeed a gud man we AR polio free because of u
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Themandator: 7:08am On Sep 28, 2015
Result of deliberately worked out policies... Thank you GEJ

2 Likes

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by sdindan: 7:09am On Sep 28, 2015
damyzino:

If GEJ Govt looked 4 missing Chibok girls d way PDP is looking 4 Buhari's
Certificate, they would have found them in a week..........enjoy your wailing brakefast because polio or ebola free does'nt count as an achievement grin

Which Chibok Girls?
And which Certificate?
Dude me and you know the truth.
Buhari doesn't have Waec cert.
Chibok girls was a scam.
Prove me wrong

2 Likes

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Koolmexxi(m): 7:11am On Sep 28, 2015
Some of una sef jus be sadists... Whether u want to agree dis was a plus for the past administration or not still doesn't take it away from them. It wasn't all gloom and doom from the past govt as some positives were clearly recorded. Someone claimed polio vaccination had been ongoing since the abacha regime but did u ask urself why it was still very much endemic in the north The past govt did much to educate d region on the need for d continuous vaccination despite much criticism.

1 Like

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by lakefist(m): 7:14am On Sep 28, 2015
Simitrendy:
Nice one. But how will this news deny the fact that my GTBank account will remain nothing. I'm withdrawing my last 5K today GTEEBI Bank be prepared. BTW I am looking for LadyF and Introvert

You and GTB only God will settle your case....You are polluting virtually all the thread because of 5k i wonder if you have upto 1million naira to withdraw,then nairaland done suffer be that.... grin
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 28, 2015
UNBELIEVEABLE.. ....

So the FULANIS finally allowed this to go through.. ..?

Sai GEJ
Sai BUHARI
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by ttmacoy: 7:27am On Sep 28, 2015
As you may be aware the bill Gates foundation played a huge role funding the roll out of polio vaccines in Nigeria and other affected countries so Buhari meeting gates may not be a backward thing.

Let's just stop all this insulting for the same of insulting. It's getting old.

sdindan:
Thanks to GEJ
My Hero.
While the dullard is still taking pictures with Bill Gate and Kanye West

1 Like

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Walexey(m): 7:29am On Sep 28, 2015
sweatlana:
Thanks to GEJ Administration
Pls it has basically nothing to do with our leaders.. .
Check anywhere Bill Gates n his wife are the forerunners in polio eradication. I respect GEJ but don't give him glory that isn't his.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by naptu2: 7:30am On Sep 28, 2015
These two men got together and decided to work towards the eradication of polio in Nigeria by 2014. Today it's gone.

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/news/dangote-bill-gates-set-to-eradicate-polio-in-nigeria-next-year/

1 Like

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by sdindan: 7:30am On Sep 28, 2015
ttmacoy:
As you may be aware the bill Gates foundation played a huge role funding the roll out of polio vaccines in Nigeria and other affected countries so Buhari meeting gates may not be a backward thing.

Let's just stop all this insulting for the same of insulting. It's getting old.

What are you saying?
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by anonimi: 7:33am On Sep 28, 2015
Thanks to the scientifically systematic efforts of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan's administration.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by naptu2: 7:36am On Sep 28, 2015
[size=14pt]Dangote, Bill Gates set to eradicate polio in Nigeria next year[/size]

Our Reporter
November 13, 2013

Dangote Foundation and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have resolved to
put an end to the disease called polio in Nigeria by 2014.

Gates, addressing a press briefing in Lagos, on Monday, said the uprising
in the north-east region of the country is undermining the fight to
eradicate polio in the country, especially in Borno and Yobe states.

He noted that a lot of problems still remained as some states do not pick
up the best vaccines while others do not release money as and when due for
the implementation of the campaign.

However, he said his Foundation is planning to improve the living standard
of Nigerians and develop the economy.

Chairman, Dangote Foundation, Alhaji Aliko Dangote and Co-Chair, Bill &
Melinda Gates Foundation, Mr Bill Gates, said this in Lagos yesterday in
Protea Hotel, Ikeja, Lagos at a press briefing held to explain the plan of
the foundations to improve the living standard of Nigerians and develop
the economy.

Alhaji Dangote said the rate of polio in Nigeria, which had reduced to
about 51 per cent presently, will be totally reduced to zero level by the
end of next year as a result of ongoing efforts by the two foundations. He
said they have intensified campaign to make sure that all children in the
states where polio is prevalent are vaccinated. He confirmed that they
have been receiving support from northern leaders and that many families
have agreed to get the vaccine.

Mr Gates said they are collaborating to wipe out polio in Nigeria because
they believe it will help to improve the lives of people and move the
economy forward. On further moves to develop the economy, Alhaji Dangote
said they are planning to raise funds with some private sector operators
to develop the health and financial sectors. Mr Gates said they are
currently working with the government to produce a regulation that will
enable the poor and the unbanked to have access to financial services as
this will go a long way to reduce poverty and develop the economy.

Apart from the health and financial sector, Mr Gates said they are also
working to improve the agricultural sector. “We are working to double yam
productivity so that small older farmers can achieve food security and
raise their incomes,” he said, adding that they also research and deploy
new cassava varieties with improved nutritional value.

The two foundations also disclosed that they are facilitating a $50
million loan from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to Nigeria
for polio eradication and other child-killer diseases.[/quote]

http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/news/dangote-bill-gates-set-to-eradicate-polio-in-nigeria-next-year/
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by nationwide1(m): 7:36am On Sep 28, 2015
Ahmedie25:
U no dey shame? y u keep talking abt Someone dat has wasted 6 years?
I pity some Nigerian youths wella. Him for say na Buhari then you for like him post.

How can any right thinking Nigerian attribute such achievement to Buhari who has no medical or economic team? WHO says no new polio case has been recorded in Nigeria in the last 2 years. Does Buhari even have a medical team in his 5 months rule?

That's how you people said his body language improved power supply even power distribution company said at a press conference that it was due to the inputs of the last government.

On revamping of refineries, some of you still said body language did it even when Buhari himself said on national television that it is purely the work of the last administration.

Why can't his body language appoint ministers for almost 5 months now? Why can't his body language stabilize world oil price? Why can't his body language make one Dollar equals to one Naira? Why can't his body language stop nosediving of our economy? Why can't his body language stop retrenchments in almost all sectors in Nigeria? Why can't his body language stop Fulani act of maiming and massacre? Why can't his body diminish the activities of bokoharam despite moving the military headquarters to Maiduguri?

When Buhari's achievements start speaking, objective Nigerians will hear it and will surely applaud the president. I don't mean online and offline sentimental and blind sycophants.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by MizMyColi(f): 7:40am On Sep 28, 2015
nationwide1:

When Buhari's achievements start speaking, objective Nigerians will hear it and will surely applaud the president. I don't mean online and offline sentimental and blind sycophants.

Good Morning.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by naptu2: 7:42am On Sep 28, 2015
[size=14pt]Dangote, Bill Gates to kick out polio in Kano in 3 yrs[/size]
on November 26, 2012   /   in News 8:59 pm

Kano – Dangote, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, have expressed optimism towards polio eradication in the next three years from Kano State.

Alhaji Aliko Dangote, the Founder of the Dangote Foundation, stated this in Kano on Monday, while signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the state government on the polio eradication.

Dangote said he was personally embarrassed that polio still existed in Kano when the globe was recording zero level of the disease.

He pledged to provide 100 per cent support to ensure total eradication of the disease from Kano and the country at large.

The Chief Executive of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Mr Jeffery Raikes, advised the state government on its scorecard, to recognise the serious stakeholders in the eradiation.

According to Raikes, we are hoping that our partnership with the state government will provide the desired change in the next three years.

He commended the State Joint Taskforce on polio, for its efforts towards reducing the resistance level at the grassroots level.

Speaking, the Kano State Deputy Governor, Dr Abdullahi Ganduje, pledged to utilise the opportunities provided by the foundations for the eradication of the disease.

Ganduje, also said that as the Chairman of the committee on polio eradication, more successes have been recorded in terms of targeting the vulnerable children.

NAN reports that the state government and the two foundations have signed an MoU to eradicate polio from Kano in the next three years. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/11/dangote-bill-gates-to-kick-out-polio-in-kano-in-3-yrs/
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 28, 2015
Akosxxx:
MALARIA next!
abi e no possible ni

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME WHO HAS DECLARED NIGRERIA POLIO FREE THEY DID THAT 10YEARS AGO, JUST GOING BACK AND FORTH.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by ttmacoy: 8:03am On Sep 28, 2015
What am I not saying. You are insulting Buhari for meeting with Bill Gates forgetting Bill Gates was the on who funded Nigerians anti polio vaccination.

sdindan:

What are you saying?
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Simitrendy: 8:11am On Sep 28, 2015
lakefist:

You and GTB only God will settle your case....You are polluting virtually all the thread because of 5k i wonder if you have upto 1million naira to withdraw,then nairaland done suffer be that.... grin
grin Bro that 5k be like million for my face now.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by Akosxxx(m): 8:12am On Sep 28, 2015
kaeforum:

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME WHO HAS DECLARED NIGRERIA POLIO FREE THEY DID THAT 10YEARS AGO, JUST GOING BACK AND FORTH.
Alright. Maybe they do regular checks to make make sure the declaration still hold or something
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by sdindan: 8:13am On Sep 28, 2015
ttmacoy:
What am I not saying. You are insulting Buhari for meeting with Bill Gates forgetting Bill Gates was the on who funded Nigerians anti polio vaccination.

What's the date of their meeting and When did WHO cleared Nigeria?
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by opineflu(m): 8:13am On Sep 28, 2015
It Gud news...very 'historic achievement'....
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by HzRF(m): 8:19am On Sep 28, 2015
sexaddict08:
I thought u were asking of the person that declared Nigeria Polio-free. this news is old now, at least 1 year.
Just Lyk ebola

There is a time frame where a country will be put under probation to see if any case(s) will arise

After den u are officially free
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by engrjacuzzi: 8:22am On Sep 28, 2015
damyzino:

If GEJ Govt looked 4 missing Chibok girls d way PDP is looking 4 Buhari's
Certificate, they would have found them in a week , so shut da hell up grin

guy, use your head nah..we are talking of dreadful epidermic and you brought up chibok girls.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by tartar9(m): 8:23am On Sep 28, 2015
sdindan:
Thanks to GEJ
My Hero.
While the dullard is still taking pictures with Bill Gate and Kanye West
which GEJ,that Bill Gate was the one responsible for most of the efforts
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by ttmacoy: 8:34am On Sep 28, 2015
Irrespective of when WHO declared Nigeria polio free Nigeria owes a debt of gratitude to Bill Gates and therefore Buhari has every right to speak to him when he sees him. You do know the Bill Gates foundation also has other goals aside polio right or your opinion is once we get what we want we avoid people? They also work to eradicate HIV, Malaria etc.

I just don't get the point you were trying to make that GEJ eradicated polio while Buhari is taking pictures with Bill Gates aside being petty.

sdindan:

What's the date of their meeting and When did WHO cleared Nigeria?
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by fem311(m): 8:43am On Sep 28, 2015
This a right step in the right direction, Kudos to WHO.

Please, let the Nigerian Government keep it up.
Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by naptu2: 8:50am On Sep 28, 2015
kaeforum:

Not exactly. Nigeria almost became polio free 12 years ago, but something happened.

The Obasanjo Administration was determined to eradicate polio in the early 2000s. They had help from WHO, Bill Gates and the Governors Forum. Polio was eradicated from many states, but there was a setback when religious leaders in Kano said that the vaccination program was a plot by the West to sterilise muslim children.

Remember that Kano had been the centre of the tragic trovan trials in which many babies died when they were given an experimental meningitis drug in the late 1990s, so the people of Kano did not trust western medicine. The Kano State Government (of Governor Ibrahim Shekarau) banned vaccination of children in the state in 2004. Polio reappeared in Kano and spread to many states that had been polio free (in fact, there were cases of polio in other countries that were traced to the strain of polio in Kano).

The government learned from that missed opportunity and got religious and traditional leaders on board the anti-polio campaign. Vaccines were also sourced from Indonesia (the largest muslim country in the world) in a bid to assure muslim leaders that the vaccines are not designed to sterilise muslim girls. Now we are here again.

That's one of the reasons that Dangote is passionate about the eradication of polio. He said he feels embarrassed that his state was responsible for the resurgence of polio.

1 Like

Re: WHO Declares Nigeria Polio-free by calaway: 9:00am On Sep 28, 2015
ValerianSteel:
The future is now for Nigeria.With the new leadership,our greatness has resurfaced and gearing towards an all time high.

-reccession in staring Nigeria in the face
-President drops EFCC corruption charges against Sylvia and Audu and the corrupt duo are now the flag bearers of APC which claims to be anathema to corruption
-An elected VP of the nation is locked out of key meetings and relgated to the background by the president
-JPMORGAN delists Nigeria.
-Foreign Investors pull over N400 billion from our economy,
*Banks are laying off staff in large numbers.
-Construction Sector has laid off over 30,000 workers.
-Inflation rate keeps getting higher.
-Cost of food stuff is all time high since 5 years.
-Nigeria is no longer investors favourite destination.
-Boko Haram terrorists continues their onslaughts.
-Fulani Herdsmen kills and kidnap.
-CNN Money removes Nigeria from the list of countries with steady economic growth rate.
-APC fighting APC.
In all these POVERTY seem to be winning. These are some of the issues which led IBB to sack the government of Buhari-now we are back to square one-Ijaw man Jonathan having fixed our economy---The CIA with the aid of Soyinka and Obja--ati the Yoruba elites used the Americans to pull the rug under the feet of Jonathan-Now the West has seen that Buhari cannot deliver on his promise---what a country--what a shame

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Troubling Health Issues / What Ebola Does To The Skin (pictures)! / Why Is Alabukun Not Prescribed By Hospitals And Yet They Use It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.