Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,818 members, 7,813,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos (1115 Views)

Man Who Took Tramadol In Lagos Tied Up While Behaving Strangely (Photos) / Generation Of Pipe Holding: How Did We Get Here? / Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos by MsGlobalwonder(f): 8:35am On Sep 27, 2015
I read the story here and I think a reply too should suffice since there is always two sides to stories. I am not sure of the appropriate section, dear mods @lalasticlala please transfer to the right section if it's in the wrong one. Thank you.

''Dear Stella

I don't even know how to start this email. 

I love your blog and for sometime now, I've wanted to contact you about taking a paid advert on your blog for my business, I felt it would be abuse of your generosity to use the (is it) in- house section medium seeing that i never comment nor have i done any give away. I hope to still do so soon.

I wish you nothing but the best ma'am.

As per the subject of this mail:
I have been quite busy and only just had a little spare time to go through your blog and some other social media platforms.

You did not do well at all. All of you just copied each other in posting this news. I thought a good journalist would've sort to find out the other side to any story before posting it. The speed at which you jumped to conclusion rankled me a bit. I do understand the need for sensationalism and traffic but it shouldn't be at the expense of a government approved, CAC certified, HEFAMAA approved hospital as the one in question or even anyone or organization.

My name is Rhoda ******* A Chemical Engineer, business woman, Advertising and Marketing Communications person, and a daughter to the proprietor of the hospital in question. I am sending this mail without his consent though I will copy him and the hospital.
i won't even bother talking about how wonderful and awesome my Dad is. How much he endeavors to treat people with equity and how generous he can be. He has one of the gentlest hearts on any one human but all that is besides the point and not the purpose of my mail.

This is what happened as far as I know and I believe I know better than the thousands who read this story:

The lady was brought in late in the evening of the 12th of August bleeding from what would appear to be a ruptured uterus. She needed to be operated on and transfused for blood stat.
I remember the mad dash to Mushin from our area here at Egbe to get her blood. The folks who brought her did not even have 1, 000 naira for the hospital emergency card. One was opened for her anyway. The hospital dug into it's pocket to get her blood and the operation was carried out without any deposits made and with the consent of the patient and her husband. Her husband told the hospital staff he was going to use the atm and wasn't heard from until long after the surgery had been completed.

You should know that in almost all cases of a ruptured uterus, the baby doesn't survive. The surgeons ran into some complications during the procedure. All the details is in her post op report and been gone through thoroughly by the different bodies who came around as a result of the news break.
The family kept begging the hospital to proceed with her treatment and that they would come through with her bill.

Her treatment spanned a good number of days with a difficult, not straight forward surgery, blood transfusion, expensive antibiotics and full medical care. When you think about the total cost all that would come to, being an emergency case and of course not a booked patient with the hospital, any reasonable Nigerian will agree there was nothing outrageous about the bill.
The family paid 10, 000 naira 5 days after the surgery and another 15, 000 a little later.
The woman was eventually discharged but not released to go home at least until some of the money was recovered. She was never chained to anything.
If you think about it;
1. That her picture you all used was taken in front of the hospital. How come the urinal pipe chain was left out of the picture?
2. Can any human being be chained by a rubber pipe and they won't make any effort to release themselves?

Last Saturday, 19th September 2015, some folks came and said they were from a human rights NGO asking for the release of said patient. What would amaze me is that the so called humanitarians didn't come with a dime. In good faith and even though the woman's husband was conspicuously absent, she was released to them. We woke up on Sunday to see the news on the internet. After the patient had been released!

Till now, nobody has said anything about the bill. Not the human rights organization, patient's family or "concerned" Nigerians as those on your blog
One good turn surely deserves ingratitude, right?

Pray tell me, why didn't they take her to a general hospital? Why didn't anybody go to Sahara Reporters who broke the news when she was groaning in pains and almost bleeding out? 
This is why many hospitals insist on a deposit and turn away patients who don't have it.
Tomorrow, if another person in the same situation comes knocking at the hospital, guess what will happen?

As I speak to you, my Dad has chosen not to take any legal action against all of you bloggers, Sahara reporters and others who perpetuated this lie and defamation of character choosing to allow posterity to judge. I only pity for the plight of others who will suffer as a result of this case of pure wickedness and ingratitude because this couple have showed that being humane can sometimes come to haunt you.
Every medical facility has a medical, humanitarian and profit-making side to it. One doesn't stop the other and I can tell you the folks at Samaria hospital try their best.

I decided to send this mail in part to clarify to an extent the matter but mostly to let you realise that there is always another side to every story. Imagine waking up and finding all social media abuzz with news of you, perpetuating the entire opposite of an incidence where all you did was good.

You could do some repair by posting some part of this mail (or all of it as you may find convenient) on your blog.
You may keep my name private please.

Source:http://www.stelladimokokorkus.com/2015/09/re-lagos-hospital-chains-woman-to.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos by MsGlobalwonder(f): 8:38am On Sep 27, 2015
Ingratitude transcends beyond one person. The sad reality now is that other genuine patients will be denied such treatment and perhaps lose their lives. Smh! angry
Re: A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos by Eeser: 8:39am On Sep 27, 2015
Good clarification.
Modified: I concur with your side of the story.
Just yesterday evening, I was in a private hospital to see a relative on admission. I was at the reception when some young men came in shouting 'doctor, doctor' at the top of their voices, one of them was carrying a young lady in his arms. I was tempted to look at the situation and I noticed that the lady was having a seizure or something. The doctor came saw her quickly and ordered the nurses to give her a quick injection, the convulsions stopped.
When they were asked to pay some money after proper review by the doctor, na so quarrel start o. They carried the lady and left without paying a dime plus insults wey the hospital staffs chop join.
Re: A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos by MsGlobalwonder(f): 8:43am On Sep 27, 2015
Eeser:
Good clarification.
you can say that again. I'm not into the medical field but because of my friends, i'm privy to some challenges of the profession; it's tad heartbreaking. This is just sad.
Re: A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos by brainpower(m): 9:14am On Sep 27, 2015
We need good and positive reforms in our health sector. But our insurance policy and awareness in this country is poor. If she has a proper health insurance, this wouldn't have been an issue. Nothing works in this country. But Kudos to the Doctor.
Re: A Rejoinder To The Patient Allegedly Tied To A Urinary Pipe In Lagos by MsGlobalwonder(f): 9:33am On Sep 27, 2015
Eeser:
Good clarification.
Modified: I concur with your side of the story.
Just yesterday evening, I was in a private hospital to see a relative on admission. I was at the reception when some young men came in shouting 'doctor, doctor' at the top of their voices, one of them was carrying a young lady in his arms. I was tempted to look at the situation and I noticed that the lady was having a seizure or something. The doctor came saw her quickly and ordered the nurses to give her a quick injection, the convulsions stopped.
When they were asked to pay some money after proper review by the doctor, na so quarrel start o. They carried the lady and left without paying a dime plus insults wey the hospital staffs chop join.
sadimagine!! This is just sad. The patient could have died but for the timely intervention of the doctors. Who haggles prices when it comes to health and life? I can't deal. Is it poverty? Illiteracy? Ignorance? Wickedness? Or outright "I-dont-care-at-least-you-cant-do-me-nothing-i-am-fine-now" attitude? I am more inclined to all but poverty. Poverty shouldn't be as excuse to be inconsiderate of other pple's businesses. These hospitals run on money. Drugs,fuels,taxes,salaries regardless if patients pay their fees or not. Should the private hospitals now close their doors to"poor" patients because of fear of occurrences like this? Society will be first to label them heartless. The sad part of it all is that same pple dat hate to pay hospital bills throw lavish ceremonies. Naming,baby dadecation, survival party to mention a few. Such irony lipsrsealed angry

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Heat In Nigeria Is Alarming, Please What The Cause? / Naturally Medicinal Uses Herbal Remedies Alfalfa, Asafoetida And Balsam Of Tolu / In Need Of Personal Fitness Trainer In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.