Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,937 members, 7,956,529 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:21 PM

3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling (12702 Views)

for those who wish to learn 3D Animation, modelling and visual effects / 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man / 3d Challenge I - Hard Surface Modelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 7:42pm On May 02, 2009
smiley
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 9:07am On May 04, 2009
@Spyemy
Thanks for sharing your image planes. You're a true Team Player! Good luck to all of us in our different models. We'll meet at the end cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 9:44am On May 04, 2009
WOW, i really like the heat that this competition is causin, way to go y'll.
@Spyemy
nice one,like the maturity that u're displaying,real sweet.
@All
U guys should keep up d good work, so we can learn from ur WIPs,i dont intend to join in this one,waiting for Challenge 3. Happy Modelling.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 11:53am On May 04, 2009
@Zpixel
here's my starting WIP screenshot to signal my participation in this challenge. More to follow when I'm done.

Cheers cool

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 8:38pm On May 04, 2009
Am really not sure about the deadline yet, am trying to give people the chance to put in their best. So i think two weeks might be a good idea, what do you guys think??
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 8:12am On May 05, 2009
No sweat! 2 weeks is enough time for anyone who's truly interested to at least start something if not complete.

Em, 2 weeks from when? I mean, what date exactly? undecided
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 10:04am On May 05, 2009
@Kemjisuper
starting from now
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 10:06am On May 05, 2009
smiley
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 10:09am On May 05, 2009
WOW! now the heat is on. grin
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by reactor: 4:14pm On May 05, 2009
@spyemy, i really admire your resolve. you did'nt have to go bak to maya but u did. its cool.
however.
spyemy:

About the studio thing, dont go there because i have done my internship in a studio as a junior programmer in washington D.C managing there render farm and maya to toxik pipe. so i have at list basic ideas, and am studying computer science and majoring in programming but we study computer graphics in general and most schools will not just teach you modelling and leave animation or vice versa unless specialized school for those on the job looking for ways to improve ther skills or leave in an area where there is high demand for those specialities.

i must say i think that is a major minus for you. most of the guys here are here in naija and only had thier p.c's in their bedrooms to learn and they have come so far and of all the chance and opportunities u had to mingle and learn from an actual studio and take advantage of their wealth of learning resources in d.c u pretty much did badly(to put it mildly) its not the point whether ur work is good or bad and i dont wanna scare anyone away but just had to let u know that you may score some rep with mediocre nigerians by telling them bout ur d.c waste of time but on this forum your skill is your only rep.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 7:27pm On May 05, 2009
if thats your opinion, i respect that.  Enough of the talks start posting, if your skills is your rep, post something.  cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 7:36am On May 06, 2009
smiley
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 8:02am On May 06, 2009
Hmm, this is building into something! kiss

Wonder how Xothermik's doing undecided
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 8:49am On May 06, 2009
Here's where I got to with my trial on 3dsmax9 before I got stuck. I'll retire back to POSER cool for lighting and texturing! cool

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 11:58pm On May 09, 2009
Come on guys, hope you're making some serious progress, cos I'm ready to clean this one out too. lol

But seriously, the deadline's Tues May 19th. Be there or be squared!
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 10:31am On May 11, 2009
@Spyemy
Wait, are you making the head and cap together?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 12:45pm On May 11, 2009
no, they are separate. i will mirror both to get his full face and the cap
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 3:03pm On May 11, 2009
Ok guys, here goes my project summary! It wasn't easy and most certainly not straight-forward as I had to cut accross different softwares to do each little bit.

I'll be posting WIP in bits though, I'm sure everyone will get the full picture!

First, I began the modeling process by generating a 3d face model of YarAdua using FACEGEN MODELLER 3.3 Free. I actually had a poor resolution image to work with but you'll all agree that the software did a pretty good job of rendering the model which I posted at the start of this thread.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 3:05pm On May 11, 2009
Next, I had to think of a way to get the Facegen image into POSER (which was my choice software for this project) cool. The problem is my FACEGEN software is only a trial version and therefore I was unable to export the actual 3d model. In addition to that, every generated image comes with the initials S.I. on the forehead as part of the trial version restrictions. The only option was to export the jpg. version.

I saved it as a jpg. and edited it in PHOTOSHOP CS2 to clone off the S.I. initials on the forehead. It was at this point that I posted my initial image.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 7:25am On May 12, 2009
The next phase was getting the image into POSER 4. The only way to do that was to import it as a texture map for use on a prepared 3d model. So I went into POSER 4, got a sample 3d head model and exported it as a .obj model. This move was necessary to enable me extract the UV map of the 3d head model and I did this using UVMapper PRO DEMO 3.5c.

Having gotten the UV map of the head, I proceeded to design a possible texture map for Yar Adua's head by cloning the Facegen image as a new layer on top of the UV map - done using REALDRAW PRO

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 7:27am On May 12, 2009
Progress in Realdraw Pro!

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 7:30am On May 12, 2009
Back to POSER 4!

Now in POSER 4, the first step was to do the actual 3d modelling of YarAdua's head. I loaded the Facegen image as a blueprint background, and set to work with a sample model, tweaking facial features - eyes, nose, mouth, smile, frown, lips, eyebrows, eyelashes, jaw, cheeks, chin, ears - Oh you guys know all that so why am I ranting? LoL

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by reactor: 11:00am On May 12, 2009
let me get this straight. u used the front image of yar adua to automate a head mesh with facegen, cudnt export the  mesh so you just exported the image.(why the hell wud you wanna waste ya time to export a jpg image of yar adua which you already have and used to create another jpeg in the first place undecided )
then you went and got another head model which you did'nt make , unwrapped it with your uv mapper (with tons of overlap -cud b excused tho considerin ur a newbie. was actually impressed that you even know bout uv's-and painted the jpeg onto it with your real draw.
then took your face gen jpeg generated jpeg again to poser for reference.(thats fresh tis d first tim im actualli hearin anyone using reference for modeling in poser too)

basically you took a yaradua jpeg to map your poser model.

beats me to go through all this just to achieve that. but i gess thats jus ur workflow. just thot you were always for the easiest and quickest route to result.
buh thats jus my opinion.and tho u might find them malignant, no competition thrives without it.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 1:38pm On May 12, 2009
reactor:

let me get this straight. u used the front image of yar adua to automate a head mesh with facegen, cudnt export the mesh so you just exported the image.(why the hell wud you wanna waste ya time to export a jpg image of yar adua which you already have and used to create another jpeg in the first place undecided )
then you went and got another head model which you did'nt make , unwrapped it with your uv mapper (with tons of overlap -cud b excused tho considerin ur a newbie. was actually impressed that you even know bout uv's-and painted the jpeg onto it with your real draw.
then took your face gen jpeg generated jpeg again to poser for reference.(thats fresh tis d first tim im actualli hearin anyone using reference for modeling in poser too)

basically you took a yaradua jpeg to map your poser model.

beats me to go through all this just to achieve that. but i gess thats jus ur workflow. just thot you were always for the easiest and quickest route to result.
buh thats jus my opinion.and tho u might find them malignant, no competition thrives without it.

@reactor
Yes, Yes & Yes. I remember stating at the beginning of my WIP posts
Kemjisuper:
It wasn't easy and most certainly not straight-forward as I had to cut accross different softwares to do each little bit.
I actually had a poor resolution image to work with but you'll all agree that the software did a pretty good job of rendering the model which I posted at the start of this thread.

I'm still a newbie, and we learn everyday. the fact that I've never previously done a 3d model of this nature means I'm bound to make some valid mistakes at first. The reason I'm posting every step is so we can all learn from my mistakes.

But nevertheless, its the final work that matters. I urge you all to have patience with me and the other contestants and keep following our progress through the WIP's.

Cheers cool

Abeg where's Xothermik na? undecided
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 7:50am On May 13, 2009
For the Next step, I proceeded to load the texture map I created for the head model.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:35pm On May 13, 2009
hey kemji nice goin. i actually havnt been motivated enough to finish my head particularly as zpix hasnt affirmed a deadline date yet and also due to poor response. perhaps when mr z gives us his deadline i shall jump bak at it.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 6:39pm On May 13, 2009
@Xother

Man, you cant have missed Zpixel's post above. He clearly stated 2weeks from the day I last asked him. Where's Zpixel by the way? Hope he's not ditching the thread - He promised some tasty reward for the winner this time, I'm pretty much gunning for it!
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 6:39pm On May 13, 2009
@Xother

Man, you cant have missed Zpixel's post above. He clearly stated 2weeks from the day I last asked him. Where's Zpixel by the way? Hope he's not ditching the thread - He promised some tasty reward for the winner this time, I'm pretty much gunning for it!
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 8:05pm On May 13, 2009
ya, finally a dateline has been concluded, for real. MAY 20TH 2009.
Sorry guys have been off for a while, am busy struggling with some 3d technicalities blah blah blah,
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 8:08pm On May 13, 2009
@Kemjisuper
its like kemji is the only person responding to this thread. Anyhw nice work in progress.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 1:25pm On May 14, 2009
zPixel:

@Kemjisuper
its like kemji is the only person responding to this thread. Anyhw nice work in progress.

Yeah bro. And hope that prize is still being kept warm grin

Anyways back to the topic

Finally, after much tweaking and adjustments to match the model with the texture map - and adding the famous Hausa cap, I came up with this:

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 1:54pm On May 14, 2009
@Kemjisuper.
Had to ask someone in my office who your model looks like and he said YAR ADUA, i think i've seen too much of your WIPs so it looked confusing grin.
u may want to reduce d roughness on the neck and WOW,his eyes are still wireframe.
Good Work though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cartoon Picture Art / 5 Top Art Galleries In Lagos / Whatsapp Group For Professional, Mobile Photographers And Graphic Designers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.