Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,635 members, 7,955,316 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:27 PM

3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling - Art, Graphics & Video (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling (12698 Views)

for those who wish to learn 3D Animation, modelling and visual effects / 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man / 3d Challenge I - Hard Surface Modelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 7:47pm On May 14, 2009
kemji nice one man. you actually created something close. dumped mine like i said due to lack of a final date as zpix only suggested for approval by the house a date which you took as official. @ least now we know the final date. i shud jump bak at mine and hopefully have it finished by monday. great effort man.
@ others. guys come out now?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 9:16pm On May 14, 2009
@Mr. X
I've actually been looking forward to your WIP's. I'd like to know if 3dsmax could help me do a much better job on the face model. Spyemy's also working from the Maya angle I guess. WOW! Funny its looking more like a POSER vs 3dsmax vs MAYA challenge. I wonder why this topic is not featured on Nairaland's Home Page
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 8:18am On May 15, 2009
We're on a new page, lemme re-post my last WIP's for reference

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by idygurl(f): 9:25am On May 15, 2009
@Kemjisuper
OMG! OMG! Is definitely President Yar Adua. i havent been on the graphics section for some time but I see you're still doing great work.

when will you teach me now embarassed I love it
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by DrLorenz1(m): 4:09pm On May 15, 2009
Well done people, but i'd like to see more realistic-looking work. I'm not condeming any of your works o. grin

@ idygurl

Where are you in Warri? Assuming you're still in Warri.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 4:02pm On May 16, 2009
@Idygurl

Hold on to your seat - there's more where that came from. As per teaching you, I dunno cos we'd have to actually meet! LOL

@topic
More WIP's to follow real soon. Sorry to those who are confused, thats what you get when you ask for a sneak peek on 'behind the scene' activities.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:15pm On May 17, 2009
@kemji.basically yes.thats if you talking bout making a model from scratch because as u know there are many automated modeling apps.any software that uses the universal language of 3d can help u get a much better model without constraints. the names vary sometimes from here to there but they(the big six as gdon tagged them) are basically all the same. they all have stuff like vertex,edge,polygons,faces etc. and basically to creating a model is the same in all these guys, grab this vertex here, cut this face there, extrude this face there delete this edge etc. i used to make the mistake of evading tutorials for maya but now i cant get enough of em.

@all. finally got back to my model. Whalewale mentioned wanting to see how i go about making the ear so thot shud chip in some screen shots. basically drew 2 splines in the viewport fornt and left to give me some ref on what im modeling.(dint feel like going to create new image planes in photshop for the ear). i do this a lot if i understand what i wanna get well tho can be very unforgiving sometimes and might lead to more time due to some trial and error and improvisation also this usually only works if you can draw in the first place. i got away with it this time. started with a single plane and extruded the edge around.and welded the edge end extruded some more inner ear. then extruded edges inward and created more polygons. the pics pretty much speak for themselves.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:21pm On May 17, 2009
and

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:24pm On May 17, 2009
and

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:26pm On May 17, 2009
and

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:33pm On May 17, 2009
and finally,the ear is not perfect especially as i didnt really use a reference and there was no one close to me at the moment to peek at (a lady at my office saw me starring at her the other day and thot i was hittin @ her. didnt know i was just doing research grin) . will add more detail and make it more organic when i get to z brush. this cool for now. gess shud hav cropped the images as put the whole thing in one single image. too late 4 dat now.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:41pm On May 17, 2009
with the ear done, the next stage was to attatch it to the head itself. i basically selected all the remaining edges delibrately left for this purpose and created a spline from it as a seperate object then attacthed this spline to the head

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:44pm On May 17, 2009
and deleted the polygons around the ear section. then extruded and welded edges ad created polygons to fill the void parts. and the ear is done for now.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 5:52pm On May 17, 2009
@xothermik
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 5:54pm On May 17, 2009
@xothermik
WOW, man i have to hand it over to you, its as if i'm reading a tutorial, such skill grin
thumbs up man. even without seeing the end result, u have my vote, u can count on that. i hope to learn from your work.
WOW. i am impressed.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 5:55pm On May 17, 2009
thot i shud make a base mesh for the cap while still here in max before movin to z brush so i started with a spline( funny how i like startin everything with a spline these days) and made a shape of what half of a section of a cap should look like.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 6:00pm On May 17, 2009
@ 47 thank a lot man im sure there's stuff i can learn from u too. thats the reality of this work. anyway bak to my cap i added a lathe modifier and got the basic cap shape. wud hav taken more time if i was trying to go poly for poly or from a cylinder.

1 Share

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 6:02pm On May 17, 2009
@xothermik
seems u're online now, can i get ur email addy?mine's
sirkay47@yahoo.co.uk
we could talk later,
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 6:11pm On May 17, 2009
@ 47 its Sagircarp@yahoo.com .

i then added a free form deform (ffd) modifier to the cylinder to give it a more natural shape and fit it to the head.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 6:16pm On May 17, 2009
well thats it with phase one of mr yar adua. i will so hav fun with this model afterwards.  im still thinkin if i shud do uv's before z brush or vice versa. anyway more posts commin soon when i make progress. hope i dint bore y'all with my wip's.
@mr z pix  oga i don get vote oh. hope say dat prize don dey warm up grin

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 6:21pm On May 17, 2009
whoops forgot to mention a problem i ran into(challenge really). turns out the pic i used for the front was'nt entirely a front orthographic view as hoped. that is to say the face was somewhat turned to one side making it even far less symmetrical. on other words by modeling half the face and mirroring it to the other side you'd get an yar adua that looks like this

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 6:25pm On May 17, 2009
rather than this. thats why id dint really grace any front views because im not happy with it particularly as i havent textured it(texturing actually conceals a lot of flaws). this is an issue that just scaling wont fix. i shud be able to fix it in z brush just by lookin at the actual pic and pushing vertices in and out and inflating where i need to.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 8:27am On May 18, 2009
@Xothermik

Nice setup man, I'm actually feeling the details you're putting into it. But naah, I don't know jack about modeling 3dsmax or Maya - but thanks for sharing your WIP's. I'll download for tutorials later. I guess it's only texturing and lighting remaining. Hope you'll finish before the deadline!

@Spyemy
The challenge is on now! What's up at your end? You've gone dark! cool

@Moderator
I guess it's about time this thread was put up on the Homepage to promote the graphics section even a little bit
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 9:07am On May 18, 2009
@Topic
Back to more WIP's

Still looking at my previous texturing. The face with the original texture made him look pale and dead, so I did some saturation on the face texture, still in POSER 4 and these were the results:

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by idygurl(f): 9:18am On May 18, 2009
wowwww! This just got a bit interesting. i don't know graphics but i'm seeing good works here.

@xothermik & kemjisuper are really battling it on, it seems kemjisuper finished his own already. It soooooo looks like YarAdua.

The other one too, although not complete also looks a bit like YarAdua.

Good job guys. Are these the only 3d gurus on this nairaland sef?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 1:08pm On May 18, 2009
@Kemjisuper ,xothermik
You guys are really turning up the heat here, cant wait to see your final stuffs.

@spyemy
where u dey now
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 11:16am On May 19, 2009
cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 11:44am On May 19, 2009
cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 11:54am On May 19, 2009
**in addition to the rules a turntable animation will be required to enable us judge all angles of your model or different angled veiws and not just orthographic views . Thanx
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 11:56am On May 19, 2009
Nice one Spyemy. Thought you bailed on us.

The texturing is strikingly real, though the WIP is also strikingly brief!

@Topic
Any other samples? Can voting begin? Oh wait - Xothermik's not ready yet!
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 12:01pm On May 19, 2009
zPixel:

**in addition to the rules a turntable animation will be required to enable us judge all angles of your model or different angled veiws and not just orthographic views . Thanx

Em sorry, what format do we prepare the turntable animation? You remember Nairaland's file size restriction of 200kb? Also, I don't think .swf is allowed - so that leaves us with .gif animation.

I recommend .gif - 4 frames - Front, Left side, Right side and Back views cool

What's your take Zpix?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 12:10pm On May 19, 2009
@Topic
Back to my model, I realized Yar Adua's got hair! Next, I inserted a hair model - may not be a close match sha but what tha heck! @Zpixel the moderator said its allowed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cartoon Picture Art / 5 Top Art Galleries In Lagos / Whatsapp Group For Professional, Mobile Photographers And Graphic Designers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.