Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,149 members, 7,835,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs (788 Views)

Why And Why Not? The Use Of Sawdust In Your Garden, Farms & Veggies Nurseries / Risks Associated With Fish Farming And How To Prevent Them / Mangrove Charcoal And Sawdust Charcoal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 29, 2015
i need ur help pls.just got sum day old chicks bt d problem i have is sawdust preventing water access in their water troughs
Re: How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs by atama27(m): 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2015
rahymat:
i need ur help pls.just got sum day old chicks bt d problem i have is sawdust preventing water access in their water troughs
madam, I feel you should have used news papers or carton layed on the floor for seven days before you start using sawdust, @ 7days old they must have increased in size, so the water troughs will be placed on the carrier and that way you will prevent sawdust from entering to a considerable level though.
Re: How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs by Goldenboy842(m): 3:53pm On Sep 29, 2015
Get bricks and place it in the pen, then put the water trough on top the stone.
Re: How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs by blackmantis: 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2015
Use wood shavings rather than saw dust. Saw dust can block the respiratory track of the birds.

place wood shavings on the ground and cover with old newspaper. You may have to tape it to avoid the birds going under.
Place a new layer of paper each day over the previous ones. At d end of the 1st week remove all the papers.

As the chicks scratch the wood shavings they are bound to enter the drinker, use a small flat piece of wood or stone to lift it up. Note that the height of the drinkers must not be higher that the top of the tail feathers of the chicks. Keep raising it in this proportion as they grow.

Change the wood shavings when they are wet. Don't allow it to get too saturated with droppings or too wet, esp with broilers.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Prevent Sawdust From Entering Water Troughs by TheUnbeatable(m): 7:12pm On Sep 29, 2015
blackmantis:
Use wood shavings rather than saw dust. Saw dust can block the respiratory track of the birds.

place wood shavings on the ground and cover with old newspaper. You may have to tape it to avoid the birds going under.
Place a new layer of paper each day over the previous ones. At d end of the 1st week remove all the papers.

As the chicks scratch the wood shavings they are bound to enter the drinker, use a small flat piece of wood or stone to lift it up. Note that the height of the drinkers must not be higher that the top of the tail feathers of the chicks. Keep raising it in this proportion as they grow.

Change the wood shavings when they are wet. Don't allow it to get too saturated with droppings or too wet, esp with broilers.

Rightly said Boss

(1) (Reply)

Visit us / We are highly in need of raw Cashew Nuts up tp 200000 Metric Tonnes / Fish Farming...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.