Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,163 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected (8685 Views)

Ruggedman Ft. Reminisce - 8 FIGURES [official Video] / Solo Rappers With 5 Or More Platinum Albums / Please Do You Know This Artist And The Title Of This Song? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 8:16am On Apr 20, 2009
I made these point recenttly in another thread, and I thought it may be worthy of it own discussion.

Artist are always claiming to be selling millions of copies in Nigeria. This is a good thing, in fact a very good thing. However, if we really examine these claims up close, it just do not add up.

We are a nation that record keeping and tracking is almost non-existent, or should I say it is in its infancy. Piracy of all kind is very rife. Majority of people do not really bother buying brand new and original album, as these things get shared and downloaded. And we haven't develop a proper online monitoring system.

Now can some one please who knows better explain to me as to how these platinum sales figures are achieved? Or better still a conclusive proof that it was ever achieved. Or do we rely solely on figures from the boy at Alaba market and the distributors at idumota/ebinpejo lane?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by tosinaded(m): 9:24am On Apr 20, 2009
Am a hot artiste with demand 4rm fans!
I release an album and get a good wholesale marketer,i give him 500,000 copies,he goes to alaba and sells to other marketers,he orders 4 more and so on. . . . .
Or using 2shotz formula,i produce over a million copies,i take it to alaba,sell it and take my money!
Only prob with d latter is dat if demand is more,pirates wil sel while u av jst money 4 a million!

either which way,selling a million copies in naija dsnt mean ur album has gotn to a million hands YET!
All it means is uve bn able to distribute it 2 various marketers and uve gotn ur money!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by tosinaded(m): 9:34am On Apr 20, 2009
I release an album and get a good wholesale marketer,i give him 500,000 copies,he goes to alaba and sells to other marketers,he orders 4 more and so on. . . . .
Or using 2shotz formula,i produce over a million copies,i take it to alaba,sell it and take my money!
Only prob with d latter is dat if demand is more,pirates wil sel while u av jst money 4 a million!

either which way,selling a million copies in naija dsnt mean ur album has gotn to a million hands YET!
All it means is uve bn able to distribute it 2 various marketers and uve gotn ur money!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 9:39am On Apr 20, 2009
tosinaded@:

Do u think the marketers will eat the CD's?   grin

Not sure what ur point is
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by tosinaded(m): 9:40am On Apr 20, 2009

Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 9:53am On Apr 20, 2009
tosinaded@:

That is what I was trying to saying in my last sentence. If that is the case, it is not exactly a true reflection of going platinum in my opinion. I think the final figures should be what was bought by the end consumers. Sony, used this ploy to inflate the number of their playstation3 sales, however they quickly added that it was "shipped" and not sales.

rapjunkie:

Like I said, it is not a true reflection of sales. Again using Sony's playstation3 as an example, they once had about 3thousands units of playstation3 stolen from a distributor, do you think that should count towards the number of sales?

The point is, not every CD or product abound a distributors warehouse will see the light of day.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 10:03am On Apr 20, 2009
there is a big difference between the sony ps3 story and this.

when marketers have paid for the goods it is a sale. they don't get their money back. Naija has an enormous population and those CD's will eventually be sold.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 10:12am On Apr 20, 2009
I am not disputing that, I just feel it is not a true reflection of sale. A million unit sold to the consumers is what platinum sales should be ideally, but as with most things in Nigeria, it works upside down.

Rapjunkie, please explain this to me, what happens if a distributor pays an artist for 100k copies, but it somehow got burnt in fire [like alaba market did] Do you think that should count towards the artist real sales? Yeah he got paid, but ultimately he is the one losing ad that is like 100k copies denied to the fans.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by tosinaded(m): 11:15am On Apr 20, 2009
rapjunkie:

tosinaded@:

read the bolded part again and stop being a clown
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Dotman01(m): 11:38am On Apr 20, 2009
That Shows dat we cant really rely on info frm d artiste, cos dey might inflate d sales number to promote thier album. There shuold be an independent body for this
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by MrCrackles(m): 11:42am On Apr 20, 2009
Platinum sales in developed Countries like America or UK are often exaggerated!

Record labels and artistes buy back thier own albums to push sale figures

In a Country like Nigeria, i doubt the authenticity of the figures quoted to the general mainstream

Lies!Lies!!Lies!!! grin
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 12:12pm On Apr 20, 2009
MrCrackles:

Platinum sales in developed Countries like America or UK are often exaggerated!

Record labels and artistes buy back thier own albums to push sale figures

In a Country like Nigeria, i doubt the authenticity of the figures quoted to the general mainstream

Lies!Lies!!Lies!!! grin

I don't know about America, but the UK record sales are pretty much bang on target.

It makes no sense for an artist to buy back their album. It is counter productive.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by rapjunkie(m): 12:20pm On Apr 20, 2009
tosinaded@:

read the bolded part again and stop being a clown

Yes Tosin, the marketers will not sell the CD's to individual people but will simply look at them and admire them. That is why they are successful business men

You're a real brainbox tosin. U think of everything.

@ElRazur

ElRazur:

Rapjunkie, please explain this to me, what happens if a distributor pays an artist for 100k copies, but it somehow got burnt in fire [like alaba market did] Do you think that  should count towards the artist real sales? Yeah he got paid, but ultimately he is the one losing ad that is like 100k copies denied to the fans.

everybody knows that there is no soundscan system in Naija, so you are really stating the obvious. At present it is impossible to tell exactly how many copies an album has sold but you can have a fair approximation. There are other indicators and one of them are the orders taken from distributors.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 4:59pm On Apr 20, 2009
rapjunkie:

@ElRazur

everybody knows that there is no soundscan system in Naija, so you are really stating the obvious. At present it is impossible to tell exactly how many copies an album has sold but you can have a fair approximation. There are other indicators and one of them are the orders taken from distributors.

You didn't answer my question. smiley My point all along was whether we can count on the figures been released as something accurate. Yet from the little discussion we have had so far, it is looking more and more like the figures do not match.

What is stopping me from selling a few hundreds and I make claim of going gold?

I have showed you how one of your indicators is severely flawed, what other ways do you know of please?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by tosinaded(m): 6:14pm On Apr 20, 2009
Junkie ure an ass. .lol
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 6:32pm On Apr 20, 2009
ElRazur:

You didn't answer my question. smiley My point all along was whether we can count on the figures been released as something accurate. Yet from the little discussion we have had so far, it is looking more and more like the figures do not match.

What is stopping me from selling a few hundreds and I make claim of going gold?

I have showed you how one of your indicators is severely flawed, what other ways do you know of please?

The record sales Naija artistes claim might be more accurate than you think.
90% of Najia hip-hop artistes(Rugged-man, Mode-9, Styl-Plus, 2face etc) are now on Apple's itunes store.
Apple had a reason for putting em there. . . . . .They are selling in large proportions.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
~Sauron~:

The record sales Naija artistes claim might be more accurate than you think.
90% of Najia hip-hop artistes(Rugged-man, Mode-9, Styl-Plus, 2face etc) are now on Apple's itunes store.
Apple had a reason for putting em there. . . . . .They are selling in large proportions.

No it is inaccurate.

Apple is playing a strategy - To eat more into the download market and take a chunk at Microsoft in some ways. Hence why it is possible to find almost anything and anyone on itunes. smiley

How many people in naija actively pays 70p for a track when their classmate can burn a whole album for free? Do the maths. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 6:43pm On Apr 20, 2009
ElRazur:

No it is inaccurate.

Says who??

Apple is playing a strategy - To eat more into the download market and take a chunk at Microsoft in some ways. Hence why it is possible to find almost anything and anyone on itunes.  smiley

If putting Naija artistes on itunes won't profit Apple, why would they venture into it in the first place??

How many people in naija actively pays 70p for a track when their classmate can burn a whole album for free? Do the maths. smiley

Conveniently forgetting the tens of millions of Nigerians in diaspora who are hooked on Apple's itunes.
I buy all ma Naija songs on itunes and i know over 20 of ma mates who do the same.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 7:01pm On Apr 20, 2009
~Sauron~:

Says who??

Based on what we all have discussed here so far, it is a safe bet to say those figures do not add up. If you disagree please state your reasons. smiley
~Sauron~:

If putting Naija artistes on itunes won't profit Apple, why would they venture into it in the first place??

Again go back to my previous post. Also can you provide me with figures from itunes as to how many downloads those artist you named have managed?

~Sauron~:
Conveniently forgetting the tens of millions of Nigerians in diaspora who are hooked on Apple's itunes.
I buy all ma Naija songs on itunes and i know over 20 of ma mates who do the same.

It is easier to make figures up as one goes you see. smiley I am not a fan of iTunes and so are a host of others I know. In fact, I detest anything apple branded, but that is another story.

I buy my songs from a naija shop here as I prefer to have a physical disc before transferring it to my Pc, Walkman etc., however I very much doubt the authenticity of the album - she is known to make her own etc.

We can go on all day, but to make a claim that those figures are accurate and shows a true reflection of album sales in Naija, is just not true.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by chrisical(m): 7:20pm On Apr 20, 2009
The problem is just that there is no proper monitoring system for album sales in Nigeria.It is true that some,if not all nigerian artistes exaggerate their sales figure just to add some hype to their album
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 7:35pm On Apr 20, 2009
ElRazur:

Based on what we all have discussed here so far, it is a safe bet to say those figures do not add up. If you disagree please state your reasons. smiley

Figures adding up to the nearest 3 decimal places ain't ma concern.
All i am saying is. . . . . .The figures might be more accurate than you think.
These artistes are not driving posh cars and living on opulence out of the pockets of charity organisations.

Again go back to my previous post. Also can you provide me with figures from itunes as to how many downloads those artist you named have managed?

I don't have the stats but one can project.
In the last 3 years, i have bought Ruggedman's album on itunes THRICE because Apple are rogues.
I have lost ma iPod once and i have lost all ma music files TWICE on the same iPod.
Loads of people woulda suffered the same fate as me and reh reh reh.

It is easier to make figures up as one goes you see. smiley I am not a fan of iTunes and so are a host of others I know. In fact, I detest anything apple branded, but that is another story.

U have not proven anything here.
Apple are few days away from celebrating 1 billion downloads in their itunes store.
I am willing to bet at least 5% of those figures were from Naija Hip Hop artistes.

I buy my songs from a naija shop here as I prefer to have a physical disc before transferring it to my Pc, Walkman etc., however I very much doubt the authenticity of the album - she is known to make her own etc.

Physical discs are tiring. . . . . . .They are immovable objects.
U cannot continue to carry your CDs everywhere you go so downloads are easily preferable.
Besides, Apple's music files have more quality. Ruggedman's tracks on i-tunes are about 8MB each on MPEG-4 format.

Sync that into any car deck with maximum volume and watch your speakers go in flames.
I would take that over any physical disc(which are less than MP3) anytime anyday. Quality is a necessary virtue for me.
Most Nigerians want quality.

We can go on all day, but to make a claim that those figures are accurate and shows a true reflection of album sales in Naija, is just not true.

I never said it was accurate but it will def'ly be more accurate than you think.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 9:42pm On Apr 20, 2009
~Sauron~:

Figures adding up to the nearest 3 decimal places ain't ma concern.
All i am saying is. . . . . .The figures might be more accurate than you think.
These artistes are not driving posh cars and living on opulence out of the pockets of charity organisations.

Then what is your point then? You are yet to show as to how these figures may be accurate like you seem to think.

There is something called "Shows" in the showbiz world. They make more money from shows than they do on cd, that will explain the comfortable lifestyle. smiley

~Sauron~:
I don't have the stats but one can project.
In the last 3 years, i have bought Ruggedman's album on itunes THRICE because Apple are rogues.
I have lost ma iPod once and i have lost all ma music files TWICE on the same iPod.
Loads of people woulda suffered the same fate as me and reh reh reh.

You dont have the stats, but you are willing to wager on something you are yet to prove?

Funny how you seem to provide a scenario that on close inspection do not stand scrutiny. First you know ten people and now you bought same album multiple times, Okay. I will go with that for now. In the grand scale of things, buying the same album do not make difference to the debate at hand.

~Sauron~:

U have not proven anything here.
Apple are few days away from celebrating 1 billion downloads in their itunes store.
I am willing to bet at least 5% of those figures were from Naija Hip Hop artistes.

Apart from the fact that those figures are almost not provable and highly inaccurate, Yes I haven't!

You are once again willing to wager on something you just mentioned you do not have the figures to back up. Jeez, you are good.

~Sauron~:

Physical discs are tiring. . . . . . .They are immovable objects.
U cannot continue to carry your CDs everywhere you go so downloads are easily preferable.
Besides, Apple's music files have more quality. Ruggedman's tracks on i-tunes are about 8MB each on MPEG-4 format.

Irrelevant to the debate at hand and highly subjective am afraid. smiley

~Sauron~:

Sync that into any car deck with maximum volume and watch your speakers go in flames.
I would take that over any physical disc(which are less than MP3) anytime anyday. Quality is a necessary virtue for me.
Most Nigerians want quality.

I never said it was accurate but it will def'ly be more accurate than you think.

Again irrelevant and highly subjective. smiley

If it is definitely more accurate, what are your facts backing these claims up? Something you are yet to show, or something you really do not have the figures for, Remember?
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by tosinaded(m): 11:48pm On Apr 20, 2009
Any1 wey dey find accurate figures is on his own!
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 11:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
ElRazur:

Then what is your point then? You are yet to show as to how these figures may be accurate like you seem to think.
There is something called "Shows" in the showbiz world. They make more money from shows than they do on cd, that will explain the comfortable lifestyle. smiley

Shows ma ass. . . . . . .How much can Ruggedman make from a pathetic show where he would be paying more than he is raking in?
Where is your nous?? In the tertiary institutions, income is almost nil.
In big parties, artistes like Ruggedman are not "spray-able" like the Sunny Ades n Pasumas of this world so your theory is tasteless.

You dont have the stats, but you are willing to wager on something you are yet to prove? 

I don't need accurate stats to project.
Nigerians will have 40 million jobless Naija Youths by 2020 does not mean it is accurate.
That is just demography for u. . . . . .Looking for accurate figures to the 4th decimal is a tad folly.

Funny how you seem to provide a scenario that on close inspection do not stand scrutiny. First you know ten people and now you bought same album multiple times, Okay. I will go with that for now. In the grand scale of things, buying the same album do not make difference to the debate at hand.

It does. . . . . .Because i have had to paid for the same album THRICE.
If 333,333 apple customers suffer the same fate i did, thats 1 million album sales(Platinum).
Learn more, talk less.

Apart from the fact that those figures are almost not provable and highly inaccurate, Yes I haven't!

The figures are not far-fetched. Go to apple.com/uk and see the counter and the countdown to 1 billion downloads

You are once again willing to wager on something you just mentioned you do not have the figures to back up. Jeez, you are good.

What part of projection is blurry to you??

Irrelevant to the debate at hand and highly subjective am afraid. smiley
Again irrelevant and highly subjective. smiley

It's unfortunate you cannot think out of the box.
I rarely debate with close-minded peops.

If it is definitely more accurate, what are your facts backing these claims up? Something you are yet to show, or something you really do not have the figures for, Remember?

***Sighs***
I have lost the appetite to continue this debate.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 12:20am On Apr 21, 2009
~Sauron~:

Shows ma ass. . . . . . .How much can Ruggedman make from a pathetic show where he would be paying more than he is raking in?
Where is your nous?? In the tertiary institutions, income is almost nil.
In big parties, artistes like Ruggedman are not "spray-able" like the Sunny Ades n Pasumas of this world so your theory is tasteless.

Dude, open your eyes. These folks get paid for each show in advance. I have a couple of firned that have bought a few naija acts here and they at least get paid half upfront and balance on completion of show. We are talking about millions of naira here.

And you accused me of being closed minded? Awesome!

~Sauron~:

Nigerians will have 40 million jobless Naija Youths by 2020 does not mean it is accurate.
That is just demography for u. . . . . .Looking for accurate figures to the 4th decimal is a tad folly.

It is a common knowledge that projection and accuracy do not always go hand in hand. Besides, we are talking about record sales here and all you have is make an unconvincing case in my opinion.

~Sauron~:

It does. . . . . .Because i have had to paid for the same album THRICE.
If 333,333 apple customers suffer the same fate i did, thats 1 million album sales(Platinum).
Learn more, talk less.

How convenient for you. If I believe that then I would believe anything. Again your figures are magically plucked from the air without much fact behind it. What if other apple customer suffered same faith? In fact, what are the chances that many Nigerians will lose their Rugged man album three times and still go to buy it on itunes? Don't dont make me laugh.

~Sauron~:

It is a common knowledge that projection and accuracy do not always go hand in hand. Besides, we are talking about record sales here and all you have is make an unconvincing case in my opinion.

~Sauron~:
The figures are not far-fetched. Go to apple.com/uk and see the counter and the countdown to 1 billion downloads

Dude no one is doubting you 1 billion download! What I am asking instead is how or what makes you say 5% of those 1 billion download is for naija aritst. I am not a maths expert, but 3 rugged album do not equate to 5% of 1 billion. grin

~Sauron~:

~Sauron~:

It's unfortunate you cannot think out of the box.
I rarely debate with close-minded peops.

***Sighs***
I have lost the appetite to continue this debate.

I like to keep the debate on track. I really do not see the need for what you introduced to it. I do not need to learn such tips from you. You do not know me or what I do you see. But most importantly, it was irrelevant to the debate at hand. smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 1:14am On Apr 21, 2009
ElRazur:

Dude, open your eyes. These folks get paid for each show in advance. I have a couple of firned that have bought a few naija acts here and they at least get paid half upfront and balance on completion of show. We are talking about millions of naira here.
And you accused me of being closed minded? Awesome!

Get paid in advance means ZILCH if the overheads outweigh the income.
Are you a Philistine?? What do you know about music artistes and the amount they spend putting shows together??
DJs, back-up dancers and logistics are all gonna get paid. Where do u think their wages come from? Oxfam??

Cheese n Rice!!! Can u explain the meaning of the above prattle?

How convenient for you. If I believe that then I would believe anything. Again your figures are magically plucked from the air without much fact behind it. What if other apple customer suffered same faith? In fact, what are the chances that many Nigerians will lose their Rugged man album three times and still go to buy it on itunes? Don't dont make me laugh.

That is because you are not used to the device called iPod.
Go and ask your mates carrying one to explain how easy it is for you to lose all the music files you have treasured.
Like i have said, i am used to debating with learned peops not troglodytes.

Yet another piffle!!! undecided

Dude no one is doubting you 1 billion download! What I am asking instead is how or what makes you say 5% of those 1 billion download is for naija aritst. I am not a maths expert, but 3 rugged album do not equate to 5% of 1 billion. grin

Ruggedman is the only Naija artiste on itunes, innit??
Your ignorance covers the earth like a blanket and there's hardly a hole in it anywhere.

And yet more drivel. . . . . .Pathetic!!

I like to keep the debate on track. I really do not see the need for what you introduced to it. I do not need to learn such tips from you. You do not know me or what I do you see. But most importantly, it was irrelevant to the debate at hand. smiley

Irrelevance or not. . . . .U are narrow-minded and yes these artistes all lie about their album sales.
Their fabulous lives are being funded by the several trust funds in your village.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 1:32am On Apr 21, 2009
~Sauron~:

Get paid in advance means ZILCH if the overheads outweigh the income.
Are you a Philistine?? What do you know about music artistes and the amount they spend putting shows together??
DJs, back-up dancers and logistics are all gonna get paid. Where do u think their wages come from? Oxfam??

No artist will put out a show at a loss. You seem to have missed that. It is getting tiresome having to explain simple and basics points to you every now and then. So you really think Tuface and co are living off the sales of CD?, Haahaha. You really are awesome.

~Sauron~:

That is because you are not used to the device called iPod.
Go and ask your mates carrying one to explain how easy it is for you to lose all the music files you have treasured.
Like i have said, i am used to debating with learned peops not troglodytes.

Woah. You have an ipod, how awesome. Oh wait, I have something better it is called a Sony walkman. It hasnt failed me once, even though I have over 5k of music tracks on it. But hey that is again irrelevant for now.

You know, calling people names simply because they disagree with you shows that you are more or less grasping for point and it makes you look lame. It also shows you level of intelligence. smiley

~Sauron~:

Ruggedman is the only Naija artiste on itunes, innit??
Your ignorance covers the earth like a blanket and there's hardly a hole in it anywhere.

And you are supposed to be the uber intelligent guy? I would have thought you would spot [b]sarcasm [/b]when you see one. smiley

~Sauron~:

Irrelevance or not. . . . .U are narrow-minded and yes these artistes all lie about their album sales.
Their fabulous lives are being funded by the several trust funds in your village.

Again I do not see what that have to do with the price of tea in china. You keep labelling me and it is sucking the life out of this debate you know. Hopefully, this is my last reply on this one. I stand by my points - The figures are not convincing or accurate. You do not have to agree with me, but calling names and showing frustration do not in anyway show your intellectuals as you would like to think. smiley Have a nice day.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 1:45am On Apr 21, 2009
ElRazur:

No artist will put out a show at a loss. You seem to have missed that. It is getting tiresome having to explain simple and basics points to you every now and then. So you really think Tuface and co are living off the sales of CD?, Haahaha. You really are awesome.

Your intelligence quotient is bordering on the negative integer.
Jeeeeeeeeeeeez, Naija artistes don't charge students out of the fact that students don't have extra cash to spare.
Go and do your research very well.

Woah. You have an ipod, how awesome. Oh wait, I have something better it is called a Sony walkman. It hasnt failed me once, even though I have over 5k of music tracks on it. But hey that is again irrelevant for now.

Sony Walkman better than iPod?? Your level of ignorance can sink the Titanic.
5k tracks when there are 160GB iPods?? This is pathetic.

You know, calling people names simply because they disagree with you shows that you are more or less grasping for point and it makes you look lame. It also shows you level of intelligence. smiley

U forced ma hands. . . . . . .I get antsy when i see the so called future leaders show gross ineptitude in their rants.

And you are supposed to be the uber intelligent guy? I would have thought you would spot [b]sarcasm [/b]when you see one. smiley

Forgive ma manners but your attempt at sarcasm was rather watery!!!

Again I do not see what that have to do with the price of tea in china.  You keep labelling me and it is sucking the life out of this debate you know. Hopefully, this is my last reply on this one. I stand by my points - The figures are not convincing or accurate. You do not have to agree with me, but calling names and showing frustration do not in anyway show your intellectuals as you would like to think.  smiley Have a nice day.

Deal with it. . . . . . .I don't patronise cretinous beings.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 2:08am On Apr 21, 2009
You know one can go and on, but what does it achieve?  smiley Nothing. smiley

Dude I have over 5k of music and it is yet to fail me is the point am making. Are you comparing storage to functionality and other things You are good.

My choice you see, and I picked a Sony's Walkman over Apple's Ipod.  Again you missed what is highly subjective and instead went ahead enforcing your views as the end of all knowledge. How intelligent are you again? smiley Ask any audiophiles, Sony walkman is rated as one of the best. Period.

Who are these future leaders you refer to? You once again seem to think you know me? Dude, You are awesome. smiley

It is a common human weakness you are showing, you have called me names when it was uncalled for, then result to the classic b.u.l.ls.h.i.t of how I forced you. Or you mean you cannot hold a debate in a civil manner. You know intelligence is measured in several ways. One of them is being civil and you severely lack this. 

I have picked to ignore your rants and more or less focus on the debate, but somehow, some way, you have to speak of this superior intelligence of yours that you haven't even remotely demonstrate.

Dude get a grip, this is a forum and while not everyone will agree with you, it is important to present your case logically with simple common sense. Also name calling is just soooo 1980 and a reflection of how weak you really are. I think this is it for me.  smiley
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Bonjeh: 11:31am On Apr 21, 2009
ElRazur I agree with you totally. I have had the privilege of talking with some Nigerian artistes and most their income comes from shows and corporate sponsorship. Regarding the sales of CDs, that is just like a marketing strategy to promote the artists brand. What usually happens is that the artist sells his Master copy to people like T-joe. It is people like T-joe who actually makes most of the money off of CDs not the Artist.
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by ElRazur: 2:04pm On Apr 21, 2009
Bonjeh:

ElRazur I agree with you totally. I have had the privilege of talking with some Nigerian artistes and most their income comes from shows and corporate sponsorship. Regarding the sales of CDs, that is just like a marketing strategy to promote the artists brand. What usually happens is that the artist sells his Master copy to people like T-joe. It is people like T-joe who actually makes most of the money off of CDs not the Artist.

Using ~Sauron~'s logic you intelligent is almost non-existent for making such point! **rolleyes**

That is exactly what I am saying, but somehow he just do not understand. I know a few artist that have had millions of naira equivalent upfront before a shows. Also, Sauron is forgetting that most of our artist just mime to CD without need for much props. Yet he makes a claim of massive over head cost etc. Even if there is a massive over head cost, the artists are still making a gain.

Looking up on the history of music in Nigeria, our artists makes more money on shows than cd. Fact.

Personally, I feel he is just one of those people who cannot really string up a few sentence without showing a sort of complex. In his case, "I am right you are wrong and there is nothing you can say about it complex" Gosh that is a very bad complex to display on a forum.

You should check out his post in the thread "The game or 50cent who is better".
Re: Artist And Platinum Sales In Nigeria: How Are These Figures Collected by Sauron1: 2:39pm On Apr 21, 2009
ElRazur:

Dude I have over 5k of music and it is yet to fail me is the point am making. Are you comparing storage to functionality and other things You are good.

5,000 tracks of music means shyte if they are not quality.
Apple iPods are more superior but i won't veer off tangent.

My choice you see, and I picked a Sony's Walkman over Apple's Ipod.  Again you missed what is highly subjective and instead went ahead enforcing your views as the end of all knowledge. How intelligent are you again? smiley Ask any audiophiles, Sony walkman is rated as one of the best. Period

Rated one of the best does not make it the best.
Who dare compares Sony to Apple in the world of MP3/4 player??

It is a common human weakness you are showing, you have called me names when it was uncalled for, then result to the classic b.u.l.ls.h.i.t of how I forced you. Or you mean you cannot hold a debate in a civil manner. You know intelligence is measured in several ways. One of them is being civil and you severely lack this. 

It is difficult to have a debate with an ignorant person without names being called.
At least, endeavour to know what you are talking about before spewing hokum.

Dude get a grip, this is a forum and while not everyone will agree with you, it is important to present your case logically with simple common sense. Also name calling is just soooo 1980 and a reflection of how weak you really are. I think this is it for me.  smiley

Yet another heap of applesauce!!

ElRazur:

Using ~Sauron~'s logic you intelligent is almost non-existent for making such point! **rolleyes**

Write in a clear and concise manner.
T

That is exactly what I am saying, but somehow he just do not understand. I know a few artist that have had millions of naira equivalent upfront before a shows. Also, Sauron is forgetting that most of our artist just mime to CD without need for much props. Yet he makes a claim of massive over head cost etc. Even if there is a massive over head cost, the artists are still making a gain.

I am saying getting a billion naira upfront does not make any meaning if the overhead cost outweighs the upfront.
You are looking at figures, i am talking about net spend.
An artiste gets $10,000 and his overheads are $9,000. . . . . .What is the profit??

Looking up on the history of music in Nigeria, our artists makes more money on shows than cd. Fact.
Personally, I feel he is just one of those people who cannot really string up a few sentence without showing a sort of complex. In his case, "I am right you are wrong and there is nothing you can say about it complex" Gosh that is a very bad complex to display on a forum.

There are different kinds of artistes, hombre.
The ones who do owambe kinda music make more money via shows than CDs.
Besides, Naija artistes are just coming of age in putting their music outside Nigeria unlike in the 90s when the songs don't leave the shores.

You should check out his post in the thread "The game or 50cent who is better".

Highly irrelevant!!!
Bouqui(the gospel artiste) just told the media she spent 3.5 million on making a single video in London.
That is the overhead i am talking about. No amount of upfront can match that.
THINK!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Illuminati Songs: 33 Lyrics About The Secret Society / Johnny Drille - Believe Me (Official Music Video) / Is This Song Not Good Enough To Be On Notjustok?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.