Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? (1205 Views)

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Afraid Of Hell/Lake Of Fire? / How You Can Discover Your Purpose On Earth / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Diakon(m): 5:28pm On Oct 01, 2015
I'm sure we must have all heard this old story by now: scientists in Russia drilled deep into the earth and hard screams of tormented people.
The truth is, that story never happened. It was spun off an actual, ordinary event and embellished.
The Word of God is enough for those who truly love Jesus.

See more:
https://shalvahadebayo./2015/09/29/did-scientists-really-discover-hell/
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by menesheh(m): 8:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
are you trying to spread lies with the intent to promote your silly blog by inventing a topic you feel is catchy

2 Likes

Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Diakon(m): 10:35pm On Oct 01, 2015
menesheh:
are you trying to spread lies with the intent to promote your silly blog by inventing a topic you feel is catchy

Interesting comment. From what I've been able to piece together, you haven't read or understood my article. Why not do so first?
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Ajibam: 10:52pm On Oct 01, 2015
Did Scientists Really Discover Hell?

The story referenced in the title is one of many that has been going around in certain Christian circles since the 1990s.
It keeps being rehashed and revived every few years. It goes something like this:

Scientists Discover Hell
While drilling holes in a remote area of Russia, scientists reached a depth (9 miles/14km) at which the temperature was 1090°C. There was a hollow chamber underneath. The scientists lowered a microphone into the hole. It lasted for only about 15 seconds before it melted. However, they were able to capture a recording of “cries of the damned —souls screaming in terror and torment.

So the story goes. It has even been published as some kind of documentary, with many sites offering recordings that claim to be those from the “Well to Hell”.
True or not?

Well, as it turns out, this story is one of several urban legends that have become popular amongst lots of religious people.

Here’s the back story to this:
Russian scientists working on the Kala Peninsula, had, in 1984, drilled a hole slightly over 12km (7.5mi) deep and had observed certain geological anomalies such as rare rock formations, flows of gas and water, and temperatures up to 180°.

For more on how the story got blown up and thrown around, see Snopes and
Wikipedia

My point, however, is that those of us who claim to follow Christ need to be a little less gullible. Truly, the Bible is enough. We don’t need to go around looking for stories to back up our beliefs. We don’t need scientists to discover hell before we believe that it exists.
There are too many of such urban legends believed by Christians. Probably the most well-known is that of the ” Vanishing Hitchhiker “, in which a man on his car picks up a hitchhiker who tells him, ” Jesus is coming soon ” and then disappears (there are many variants of the tale). We spend too much time listening to, as Paul calls it, “old wives’ tales”. What we need to do is spend more time with the Weird and its Author, the only One we can trust to be 100% true.
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by menesheh(m): 11:05pm On Oct 01, 2015
Diakon:

Interesting comment. From what I've been able to piece together, you haven't read or understood my article. Why not do so first?

You are already doing the thing i accused you of by telling me to read first in order to understand of which i can only be granted access by generating traffic to you.

I already knew of the absurd analogy of yours. It is nonsensical.

1 Like

Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Diakon(m): 11:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
Lol. If you had visited the site, you would know I don't have ads, so there's nothing for new to gain by generating traffic.
But if you don't want to visit it, there's no problem. A good fellow has copied it here; you can read that. What I'm saying is, get my point before you make judgments.
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by trapQ: 3:08am On Oct 02, 2015
Op that story isn't a mere fallacy, it was very real. And why did you have twist your write-up to a rather negative side?

The bible makes it clear that hell is beneath the earth, and this story goes in line with it because the temperature that was experienced there is greater than that of the sun. Read more articles concerning this, no one is spreading heresies here.
Diakon:
Lol. If you had visited the site, you would know I don't have ads, so there's nothing for new to gain by generating traffic.
But if you don't want to visit it, there's no problem. A good fellow has copied it here; you can read that. What I'm saying is, get my point before you make judgments.

1 Like

Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 02, 2015
menesheh:

It actually happened.
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by MizJanet(f): 10:41am On Oct 02, 2015
trapQ:
Op that story isn't a mere fallacy, it was very real. And why did you have twist your write-up to a rather negative side?

The bible makes it clear that hell is beneath the earth, and this story goes in line with it because the temperature that was experienced there is greater than that of the sun. Read more articles concerning this, no one is spreading heresies here.

Fanatic .
And the same bible said Jesus go to hell - Act 2:31 . Was he burned ?
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Diakon(m): 10:47am On Oct 02, 2015
Thanks for the reasonable replies trapQ and china1985. Bit, seriously, it never happened.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/the-well-to-hell-hoax
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Kudducini(m): 11:00am On Oct 02, 2015
Hy Nairalanders They Never Said They Discovered Hell They Only Heard Screams Of Tormenting

According To Islamic Research And Revelation Our (Human) Judgements Commences Immediately After A Man Losses His Soul
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by Diakon(m): 11:03am On Oct 02, 2015
Kudducini:
Hy Nairalanders They Never Said They Discovered Hell They Only Heard Screams Of Tormenting

They didn't hear or discover anything.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/the-well-to-hell-hoax
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by trapQ: 11:31am On Oct 02, 2015
Mizjanet

JESUS went to hell to set the captives free. The captives included all those who died ignorant of the gospel before christ came. The gates of hell could not prevail against him.

MizJanet:

Fanatic .
And the same bible said Jesus go to hell - Act 2:31 . Was he burned ?

Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by MizJanet(f): 11:42am On Oct 02, 2015
trapQ:
Mizjanet

JESUS went to hell to set the captives free. The captives included all those who died ignorant of the gospel before christ came. The gates of hell could not prevail against him.

Lol @bold , abraham, moses , Jacob , Isaac all died without hearing the gospel , so they go to hell ?

- if Jesus has set the captives free , which captive is hell going to free again in revelation 20:13 ? Or is that another contradiction ?

[/b]
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by trapQ: 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
@ dalaman

I'm sure all the people who were witnesses to this are also "some shoddy christian fundamentalists" yh Be enlightened.
Re: Did Scientists Really Discover Hell? by dalaman: 7:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
trapQ:
@ dalaman

I'm sure all the people who were witnesses to this are also "some shoddy christian fundamentalists" yh Be enlightened.

Witness to what? Which people by the way?

(1) (Reply)

Could This Be Right In The "House Of God" Or Is This Segregation???????????????? / Quotes From Scientists Regarding Design Of The Universe / This Is What The Word Of God Should Do To You. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.