Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,731 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

The New Religion - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The New Religion (394 Views)

Helen Paul: Hijab Is A Head Covering, Not A Religion, Islam Is Religion Of Peace / “my Religion Allows Me Marry Up To 4 Wives, Get Off My Back” – Diamond Platnumz / Angry Kemi Olunloyo Took To Twitter To Blast 'islam' As Sickening Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The New Religion by naijalander: 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2015
Andrew Garfield had a bit of a meltdown in an interview recently, going on a rant about celebrity culture and talking to the press.

The former Spider-Man actor and boyfriend of Emma Stone, spoke about the struggle of doing his job, in an interview with Vulture.

Garfield gave the interview to promote his new film, 99 Homes, but he didn’t seem like he gave any shits about talking up the movie, preferring to let interviewer Kyle Buchanan give his own answers, telling him: “Why don’t you just do this interview? You’re saying the right shit”.

“Hearing you talk, I just suddenly feel like my head is wrapped in cellophane. How do we wake up, how do I wake up, what do I do?” Garfield went on to say, as he admitted he isn’t as articulate as Buchanan.

Marvel
He then got a bit existential – “But if I’m not doing anything, what the Bleep am I really doing?” – before giving a damning review of celebrity culture:

…something shifted with the Spider-Man stuff. It was a character that I wanted to play my whole life and not one part of me was indifferent … but I got incredibly uncomfortable with the attention that just came with that job. It was nothing to do with me, it was to do with this idea of celebrity. Hopefully I’m just more myself as I get older and as I grow, but in our culture they’re telling us to be something totally fucking different.

Garfield continued:

We are told constantly we’re not enough, we’re told constantly that we don’t have enough, we’re told constantly that we’ll never be enough. It’s that dangling-carrot thing.

That was my experience with the Spider-Man thing. It’s like, “Oh, Bleep, my life is now great!” But in fact, I’m still bleeped up in my own ways, and insecure, and scared, and don’t really know who I am. Celebrity is the new religion, as far as I can see, along with money, power, status. It’s all the same umbrella — the seductive forces of evil, really.

Before finishing on a nicer note:

I sincerely want to help create beauty in the world and move a culture of separateness back towards community. I really, really do, and I think art is a powerful way of doing that.

What a refreshingly honest interview.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The New Religion by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 03, 2015
♪ ♫ shake it off/ shake it off/ ♪ ♫

(1) (Reply)

''how Touts Almost Killed Me Over Sharing Of N3 Million Performance Fee''; Ayefe / Lamar Odom: Fans Offer Thier Kidneys To Ailing Star / Comedian Bovi & Dancer Kaffy Unveiled As The Hosts Of Headies Awards 2015, See T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.