Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies (1964 Views)

How do I handle this stubborn german Rottweiler mix (Photo) / These Dogs​ “wedding” Photos Are Too Cute To Handle / Do U Know That One Bobbysaxy Kennel Exist???.....a Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by BOUNTYDOG(m): 7:43am On Oct 04, 2015
Happy Sunday house
Let us learn from breeders and Vet Drs in the house that has ever experienced a dam dying after delivery of her pups,can the pups ever make it,
A dam that will not lactate how do you feed the puppies
How do you supplement when the litter size is much more than the nipples like case of 16pups to 10 nipples.
What best feed,how to keep orphan pups warm,intervals to feed and what to note when feeding.
Re: How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by BOUNTYDOG(m): 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
I have handled 16pups,but not totally a success as some died,I have heard tales of breeders buying,renting a newly whelped local dam for orphan pups,some breeders don't let the pups stay 24 with D dam and only allow her to feed the litter @ intervals and take the pups away to avoid sad tales.I always give up and expect the dam to do t herself @ dis time,thnkng who would ve helped if she was in the wild loose pups,I have had ppl survive all 16pups
What successful experiences of these can u share with us here.
Re: How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by blasiangurl85(f): 6:47pm On Oct 04, 2015
I don't have experience with orphan puppies but I've handled several orphaned kittens but I'm pretty sure the process will be the same. Before I was able to get puppy milk from the vet(Yes I used puppy milk for them) I searched online for home made formula recipes. The one I was able to make was with evaporated milk mixed with raw eggs. I made about 50cl of that and fed every 2 hours (even at night). I used a 10cc syringe to feed them the milk as I didn't have and feeding bottle. Because they couldn't regulate their body temperature, I made a hot water bottle (just hot-not boiling water). And put it in a corner of the box. And place a towel over it. They naturally went to the source of heat and when they felt warm enough they moved away from the bottle. It's important to make sure the hot water bottle is at the corner so they can move away if they feel too hot. Once I got the puppy milk and feeding bottle it was easier. As they got older I reduced feeding to 6 times a day until they were able to eat on their own which was from about 3-4 weeks.
I know it's not dogs but I believe the same process can be done on orphan pups
Re: How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by BOUNTYDOG(m): 10:22pm On Oct 04, 2015
blasiangurl85:
I don't have experience with orphan puppies but I've handled several orphaned kittens but I'm pretty sure the process will be the same. Before I was able to get puppy milk from the vet(Yes I used puppy milk for them) I searched online for home made formula recipes. The one I was able to make was with evaporated milk mixed with raw eggs. I made about 50cl of that and fed every 2 hours (even at night). I used a 10cc syringe to feed them the milk as I didn't have and feeding bottle. Because they couldn't regulate their body temperature, I made a hot water bottle (just hot-not boiling water). And put it in a corner of the box. And place a towel over it. They naturally went to the source of heat and when they felt warm enough they moved away from the bottle. It's important to make sure the hot water bottle is at the corner so they can move away if they feel too hot. Once I got the puppy milk and feeding bottle it was easier. As they got older I reduced feeding to 6 times a day until they were able to eat on their own which was from about 3-4 weeks.
I know it's not dogs but I believe the same process can be done on orphan pups

Wow interesting!
You actually did all that,did you loose any afterall?
Re: How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by knyte(m): 8:51pm On Oct 07, 2015
I think taking care of orphan pups or kittens isn't easy.whether it's cos d dam isn't lactating or she died due to Labour.
One has to clear out ones schedule, make sacrifices, routined feeding, checkups and it's even more hectic if u av a double figure amount of pups u taking care of.
What I can tell is adequate, supervised care has to b available round d clock.paws up to dog lovers

1 Like

Re: How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by BOUNTYDOG(m): 3:43am On Oct 08, 2015
knyte:
I think taking care of orphan pups or kittens isn't easy.whether it's cos d dam isn't lactating or she died due to Labour.
One has to clear out ones schedule, make sacrifices, routined feeding, checkups and it's even more hectic if u av a double figure amount of pups u taking care of.
What I can tell is adequate, supervised care has to b available round d clock.paws up to dog lovers

Hmmm
To be honest this is the part I dread in breeding
I always pray for 6 to 8 puppies,though I've had 11max.a friend had 16pups from a bb he used my stud for,2days after his french mastiff had 14pups making 30pups in his house and he was new to breeding,14pups survived from the boerboel & 4 from french,he had to transfer his staff @ D computer village to his kennel working shifts trust omo Igbo grin grin grin.
Its funny these dogs cant do it themselves especially with large litters,the large breeds too can pose a problem when they sleep on their pups,unlike smaller breed
A friend starts to seperate the pups from the mother from day 1 and only feeds dem for 2hrs,takes dem away from the mother to rest for 2hrs and returns back.so he does 2hrs feeding 2hrs rest,thru out the day,and he succeeds in surviving the pups this way.
Re: How Do U Handle Orphan Puppies by knyte(m): 7:40pm On Oct 08, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:

Hmmm
To be honest this is the part I dread in breeding
I always pray for 6 to 8 puppies,though I've had 11max.a friend had 16pups from a bb he used my stud for,2days after his french mastiff had 14pups making 30pups in his house and he was new to breeding,14pups survived from the boerboel & 4 from french,he had to transfer his staff @ D computer village to his kennel working shifts trust omo Igbo grin grin grin.
Its funny these dogs cant do it themselves especially with large litters,the large breeds too can pose a problem when they sleep on their pups,unlike smaller breed
A friend starts to seperate the pups from the mother from day 1 and only feeds dem for 2hrs,takes dem away from the mother to rest for 2hrs and returns back.so he does 2hrs feeding 2hrs rest,thru out the day,and he succeeds in surviving the pups this way.
U Don talk am finish,deep down we pray for plenty litters but when dey come it's beyond our ability to keep dem all alive

(1) (Reply)

See This Long Snake Caught In A Mouse Trap(pictures) / Rottweiler Puppies / New Fresh Slant Back German Sherperd Pups For Sale....pics Taken This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.