Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:54 PM

Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? (7296 Views)

A Little Tip For Notepad++ users Like Me. / [Help Request ] I Want To Learn Programming, what are the requirements / I Want To Learn Computer Programming, What Language Should I Learn First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by gbengaijot(m): 11:51am On Dec 29, 2006
Directories??
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by sbucareer(f): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2006
gbenga:
protected can be called from within the original class, and any subclass

Not quite, Protected can only be access within it folder. Any other folders including subfolder and other folders cannot see a protected class. Look at it this way it is only protected for its family, which are in the same folder. Outside its family folder cannot bee seen
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by gbengaijot(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2006
ok, lets say hoverfrog is a subclass of a frog class. If a method is declared private in a frog class, it cannot be accessed by hoverfrog, but if it is protected, then it can be accessed by hoverfrog right?.

If lets say Toad is another class , and a method in frog class is declared public, then a toad, hoverfrog and frog can access this method!.?

If i am right with what have just said, then i think i understand it
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by sbucareer(f): 11:06am On Dec 31, 2006
gbenga:
protected can be called from within the original class, and any subclass, --- YES

See this
Controlling Access Members of a class

Gbenga, I am still coming with your Use Case, just busy with the New year and family things.
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by ade2kay(m): 4:10pm On Dec 31, 2006
hi Sbucareer, you are a big help here.
Thanx so much for the good work
i'm a comp. science graduate.
i've written some VB, c++
but i've been in and out of java.
pls recommend a good book to me to learn java
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by gbengaijot(m): 2:54am On Jan 01, 2007
Its ok SBU, i do understand, infact i appreciate your time and patience. Take your time, there is still a lot am learning till u sort it out anyway.
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by sbucareer(f): 10:20am On Jan 01, 2007

@Ade2Kay

You are a bit competent with programming and a Computer graduate for that matter. I would not recommend you a book as you are already familiar with programming. It is waste of resource if you ask me. Since you have access to internet do google search for free tutorials on the web.

Books are for professional or nearly not a beginners in programming to try out some logic and probably case study. I did not learn programming with any book just materials from schools and my natural inquisitive to things.

When you do buy books buy the ones with lots of case study. I used to use Wrox There are many series of Java book starting from beginning to professional.

Another good book is the O'Reilly. They have lots of case studies on their books. These two books are university recommended reading text in the UK.

Finally, and people that I have not tried their books is the [url=http://www.digitalguru.com/index.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1]Digitalguru[/url]. Basically all you need to do is learn at least 20 Java API's and how to use them, even when you are sleeping. The basic milestone to learning Java is learning some of the API. Like any other language if you don't know there API (Libraries) it would be difficult to say someone to teach you.

Teach yourself first and someone can be happy to point you to the right direction.
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by gbengaijot(m): 12:45pm On Jan 05, 2007
Happy new year everyone. I hope you all had a nice christms. I had to rush through my course work that was meant to be sumited before christmas, but i ended up submiting on the 30th. All in all, i scored 60% which i consider too bad. but at least i am better than 3 months ago.

Will post the course work questions and my answers on here soon to let you guys know what i have been up to and my level of learning.

SO how far with the Software analysis?,

Guys i have missed chatting about java ooooo
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by rozilla(m): 12:19am On Jan 06, 2007
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by duua: 10:09pm On Jan 07, 2007
Hay gbanga wat school are you? Bigups to all happy new year.
Re: Programming - What About Newbies Like Me? by gbengaijot(m): 9:31am On Jan 08, 2007

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Momo Hack: The Dangerous Aspect Of Programming No One Tells You About / Why Most Web Developers Fail / You need to see this! "Awoof" Offer You Can't Get Anywhere Else

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.